BJ42 Front mount Intercooler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys i have a 3b i have just turboed and im running a water to air intercooler im going to remove it and install and air to air and was wondering has anyone else done it or have pics of some that have been done

thanks glenn

I have a frontmount on my 45 with 12ht.
This is the only picture i have right now. When the piping is finished i'll take a few pictures of that too. I'm redoing a lot of stuff right now so it's not complete and the way the piping was before is not something to be proud of, so i'm not posting pictures of that.;)

IMG_0690.jpg

HTH,
Mark

Here's a front mount on my 60. Same idea should work. You can see pics. more in my swap link below.

Doug
IMG_5225.jpg
IMG_5226.jpg
IMG_5228.jpg

I went air to water because a 2 1/2" thick air to air does not fit. You will need to move the rad backward.

But why remove the air to water?

That's what I was wondering... I thought Water to Air was more efficient.

Here is a couple shots
I used a air to air out of a Volvo 240 and got a 4 core radiator built using parts from a chevy pickup rad
easy 17 psi boost and never a moments trouble with the air to air, water temps always stay cool
IMG_2542.jpg
IMG_2543.jpg
IMG_2545.jpg

BreckenridgeCruiser said:
That's what I was wondering... I thought Water to Air was more efficient.

Nope. You have losses transferring from hot charge air to water, then more losses transferring from the hot water to the air across the radiator. It's really a air/water/air intercooler. A nice large front mount air/air is your best bet for a diesel. Water to air to water is ok if you can't physically fit an air to air.

Todd

After looking into air/water intercooler myself I concluded the same thing, that they are inherently ineffecient for prolonged use. They also appear to be quite complicated plumbing wise, and require a pump to function. Less moving parts are better in my opinion. I also didnt like the idea of a failure that could shove coolant into my engine. Now that all being said, some folks on here have done some amazing work with air/water intercoolers.

Does anyone have an air to air intercooler mounted in front of the rad on a 42 series? Am looking at doing this to mine trying to find some pics or ideas here. Have found lots of stuff on the 60 series but have yet to find a pic of an actual 42 with this done.

Cheers,

Brian.

I did a front mount in my HJ45. I'm switching to a 3B and plan to mount the intercooler higher. I had to move my radiator back about 2" to fit the intercooler comfortably. That's not a problem with a 3B but it can be tight for an inline 6 cylinder engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom