BJ42 dash board pics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a picture of their BJ42 dash and can explain what each knob is for?

It looks like mine has a mysterious hole beneath whatever that rectangular brick with two lights is by the gauge cluster, but the seller assured me everything was intact on the dash...?

Anyone have a picture of their BJ42 dash and can explain what each knob is for?

It looks like mine has a mysterious hole beneath whatever that rectangular brick with two lights is by the gauge cluster, but the seller assured me everything was intact on the dash...?

Post a pic and see if we can fill the gaps in

What country are you in/is the truck from?
I have a stock Canadian BJ42 and there is no brick-like anything on my dash let alone near the guage cluster.

Cheers,
Amukcanuk
76 FJ40 350 motor and drivetrain
82 BJ42 voil burning daily driver
96 LX450 blingthing

If i remember correctly, the windscreen wiper knob is in that region, however 4x series came out with holes in the dash as standard that were filled with rubber plugs. Maybe check if there are circular wear marks from someone screwing in or unscrewing the lock ring on a switch. Also all factory dash holes have a flat side (so they are not true round) to hold the switch barrels during assembly and operation.

Sam

Dashmarked.jpg
[/IMG]

hmmmm, it looks like the glowplug switch is missing?!?!?!

(best pic i have, sorry)

Last edited:
Nope, any gloplug switches you have seen in 40s have been added aftermarket by someone in an attempt to bypass the factory system. 40s come with glow plug switch built into the key barrel via spring loaded turn-back and 42 and 47 come with dual stage/voltage timer system which is initiated when the key is turned to the on position before being turned to the start position. In all likeihood, that hole has never had anything in it. Dont worry about it. And one of the lights in the rectanglar brick thing is the handbrake warning light, forgotten what the other one is sorry.

The other lite in that rectangular box on my BJ42 is "filter" lite ref to water separator or sometimes called sedimenter attached to frame,if the lite comes on, one should drain the water and sediment at the bottom of the sedimenter.

I also think the brake lite in the rectangular box serves several functions [warnings] as to alternator , brakes, and maybe low oil indicator???Would be nice to have a bj42 owners manual and a factory manual? Any one have one for sale??

ok, so that hole might have been just that... a hole?

did it originally have a plug in there or something?

from Sargh's picture above, I see there are knobs for:

Hazards
Cigarette
Fan
Wiper
Vent

Looking at my dash, I see one extra... idle?

(obviously this truck isnt in my possession, its on the boat... i'm trying to collect parts that i'll need once it arrives)

That would be the hand throttle, its located with the same reference to the steering column as in Sargh's photo, ie on the right side of the steering wheel, which is why you cant see it in your photo. Its the same knob as the choke used in the petrol models. It just has a bit of wire running from the back of the knob to the accelerator cable directly behind the accelerator. Which is why is on the right of the wheel for both left and right hand drive variants. Hardly anything to stress over if its missing too.

sorry, my bad, i see which one you are talking about i think. Its heat. connects through the firewall to a t-piece on the heater hose at the back of the block which directs hot coolant through the in-cab heater core when pulled. Good to make sure its not corroded before pulling it too hard, especially if the car is from a hot climate.

Nope, any gloplug switches you have seen in 40s have been added aftermarket by someone in an attempt to bypass the factory system. 40s come with glow plug switch built into the key barrel via spring loaded turn-back and 42 and 47 come with dual stage/voltage timer system which is initiated when the key is turned to the on position before being turned to the start position.

Sorry, this is wrong. some BJ40's (not sure of exact year) came with a factory momentary glow plug button on the dash, just as is shown in the picture in post#5. I've seen several of them set up that way here in Canada ('Canuckistan' for you folks south of the border ;)), and it's definitely a factory install. Now, that said, given that you are in Australia, it may well have been the case that such a system was never spec'd there, so it would be understandable if such a set up is unfamiliar to you.

And as for the comment, "47 come with dual stage/voltage timer system" - that is true, except for the early 1980~81 47's which had no timer at all, just a 'glow controller', mounted on the dash near the instrument cluster, essentially a coiled wire that gradually glows cherry red when current is applied to it. These set ups are the simplest system out there.

Also all factory dash holes have a flat side (so they are not true round) to hold the switch barrels during assembly and operation.

Sam

Not true, some holes were round, some have a flat portion as you mention, and some have a little tab cut out to one or both sides, if a 'filter' warning light was dash mounted, or glow controller. Here's a pic of a section of stock original factory dash (I cut it out to use in reconfiguring my own dash), with the holes set up for the three knobs associated to the heater, namely the heater fan switch, heater pull cable, and fresh air pull. Note that it was not so common to have these three in direct line with each other (the particular dash section cut out in the picture is from a '79 N.A. spec. FJ40) - commonly the heater switch was up and above the pull cables, which were paired together -see picture two, which is from from a factory brochure and shows a Japanese-spec. '79 FJ40.

There were lots of different configurations for dash layout from the factory.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I think I've got all the knobs I _do_ have sorted out, however the hole remains a mystery. Eyeballing it, it looks like its in the same place at the glowplug switch, however whether that switch exists on NZ models is a mystery.

Anyone with a 82 NZ BJ42 on this board?

EDIT: Also, whats the deal with the air vents on the passenger side in the borchure photo above? Is that AC?

Last edited:
Yep, those air vents are atop the a/c cooler.

I think I have an answer for you - take a look at the other half of the Japanese-spec photo below. I believe that what fits in under the warning light combo is the 'FD' switch. I've never seen one personally, and wonder if they ever appeared in Canadian-spec. vehicles, but 'FD' stands for "Front drive". I expect it is some sort of actuator to a VSV that shifts the transfer into 4wheel mode. Check on your transfer case to see if there are any vacuum ports or wiring of any kind.

Last edited:
Now, of course, just because there is a picture showing something mounted in one of the dash holes doesn't mean that your truck ever came with that feature - instead, there would have been a plastic plug, like in this picture of the dash from a 1981 BJ42, RHD (Australian-spec. i think):

Last edited:
I agree it looks like thats what goes there. Not to determine if that hole was actually filled at one time.

I'm certain I have the four-position transfer case (H2, H4, N, L4), however I gather the FD knob is only useful with a three-mode case (H,N,L) (good pics of the labels here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=2503901&postcount=4 )

Seems likely that the FD hole would just be plugged if one has a case with H2 and H4 settings.

Now, something I remain confused about: why have locking hubs (as the truck in the above photo does) if you have an H2 gear on the TC (or have a FD switch)??

Last edited:
Not sure if it will help but I have found this 83 BJ 42 LX which I am importing from Aus. Sorry about the quality.

photos_169.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom