BJ40 Starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been running around and around trying to find a starter that will fit my 77 BJ 40. Ordered one from cruiserparts.net and they sent me the one on the right on the picture. It doesn’t look anything like the one on the left which is the one that came out of my cruiser (Not sure if that is actually the original one or not). I sent them a picture and said what’s up with these looking so different. They said you should be able to swap the nose cone and still use it. Is that true? Will those nose cones swap out? I’ve read through some of the other posts about swapping nose cones, but haven’t seen any pictures that resemble the one on the left in my photo...

981513FE-DB50-4EC5-B36B-90326BD273F6.jpeg

F231CAB9-CAEC-41D8-A27C-C49D0713002C.jpeg

How do you interchange the nose cones on those 2, they look completely different?

I assume the gear teeth are not the same on those starters.

I did the nose cone swap when I realized my B starter would not work after the 3B swap. I used a 12V Cummins starter and swapped over the 24V 3B nose cone.
Odds are that starter you got won’t even fit on your bell housing without hitting the block.
Edit: I take that back I believe it was the B starter not fitting on the 3B block. Then I found out the teeth didn’t match the flywheel

@Mr Cimarron Sounds like a similar situation. I tried to fit the starter to the holes/bolt and it wouldn’t fit because it hit the block. Felt hopeful that I could swap the nose cone from the ‘original’ to the new one, but it doesn’t look like they’ll interchange. Figured I’d start taking them apart and see, but it seems like I’ll have to get another nose cone or a different starter entirely.

@Onur yeah that’s what it really seems like.
the guy I emailed with a couple of times assured me it would fit. He then told me that even though they looked so different (I sent him pics) that the nose cone would swap...not sure what to do other than take a few screws loose and send him more pics when it doesn’t fit...though I could be wrong! 😬

got it front CruiserParts.net so I’m assuming they have some idea of what they’re talking about...

I’m a total novice though so it all sounds plausible to me. 😬

Good to know. Tried CruiserOutfitters first. They didn’t have a starter and actually said to check with CruiserParts...but again, I’m still learning.
Thanks for the 411.

Amazon have them for $275, says it fits B and 3B with 5 year warranty for $275. They have good pics for comparison

nice find @roscoFJ73. I haven’t checked those out yet so I definitely will; don’t want to get it here from Australia and it not work.

There are three versions of B/3b starters

1 the early non gear reduction starter you have.
2 the later B and early 3b starter
3 the late 3b with aluminum bell housing

the nose cone can be swapped between 2 and 3 but not 1 they are confused. Number 2 the b and early 3b is not very available but the later 3b starter is. thus the nose cone swap as those two have differing bellhousing bolt orientations not that it helps you.

I would find a nose cone from 2 the late b/early 3b and do the swap (a gear (9 tooth) has to also be swapped over when you have a non gear reduction starters) then you get a better starter or just rebuild yours. a generic motor shop could also rebuild yours. It’s not complex likely just needs contacts and brushes.

here I am rebuilding and swapping nose cones between starters for my 81 bj42 and a spare starter from my 85 bj60
084E1B48-DFBD-42FD-A9E1-4B515EB03719.jpeg

Good luck!

Your issue plus where to find the nine tooth starter gear you need.

Last edited:
@stevebradford i am eternally great full for that thorough response. The three different starters explains why I’ve been getting different responses from different folks and clears up a lot for me. I will try another starter shop to see if they are up for rebuilding the current one. Sounds simple enough. Thanks a TON!

nice find @roscoFJ73. I haven’t checked those out yet so I definitely will; don’t want to get it here from Australia and it not work.

I thought that was US Amazon. I would try a search on your Amazon and see what comes up. Others have got diesel starters and alternators for landcruisers from the US Amazon before
NOTE. Im not a fan of Amazon, when they force all the smaller retailers out, there will be only them. So I always try the little guy first

But I would also investigate having the old one rebuilt. Its nice having a 40+ yo vehicle with many of its original parts.:cool:

Update: got an early 3B starter that works and fits. However, when we tried to crank her up tonight, the starter isn't engaging the fly wheel. Teeth of the flywheel seem to be good. It sounds like the starter is just spinning so I'm wondering if the bendix is stuck or not coming out far enough to engage the flywheel.

If anyone has any thoughts, I would welcome them.

B0935EE4-C2E5-4AF0-B297-54B62ADAC0F1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom