Bj40 knuckle seals leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The cone washers can be a bitch. try putting the nuts on flush with the studs and tapping them with a hammer. if that doesn't work, a hammer and chisel on the outer cone will, but sometimes will damage the cone.
Also, tap the hub around the edge once all of the nuts are loose.
I may be able to come down there one afternoon this week after work. I'll have to see. Wednesday is the best bet.
Is today a good day or next week. You can call me at 317 255 9979

Man, I wish I wasnt so darn busy; ive only done a knuckle disassembly. Glad you got everything off, stick with it. post pics of what you have going on - pictures will attract help ! Many of these LCLC guys love to see their greasy hands working on someone else's truck !

You mean you never put it back together?
Well it's slow and plenty greasy but both have to be done. Dave is coming over tomorrow for much needed confidence building. Any body is welcome. Air conditioned garage to a degree. I finally got the diff drained and half of the right side disassembled. Boy there is a buttload of gummy grease in the hub. Thanks anyway.

I took a 60 series axle apart, and had it installed into my 40. It gave me front disks, 60 series TRE and controls.

I need to do the hubs on my sons 80, just postponing the inevitable. Now that we're moved into the new house, it's about time to make something happen.

I took a 60 series axle apart, and had it installed into my 40. It gave me front disks, 60 series TRE and controls.

I need to do the hubs on my sons 80, just postponing the inevitable. Now that we're moved into the new house, it's about time to make something happen.
It's quite a messy job with the diff lube mixing with the grease so plan on a lot of degreaser and rags to throw away. It's my first time so I'm thankful to dbenke for his knowledge.

Must haves for this project are a simple but reliable fish scale and brass drift. Pics of disassembly to remember where shims were placed, I may be thinking of my 80 days. Slow and steady on this task even for the experienced.

That's true as I am experiencing the task. Dirty but rewarding to learn the beast. I have an old brass fish scale I bought from a yard sale 30 years ago, finally a chance to use it. Dave and Tim came by yesterday and assessed the job and we decided I would finish cleaning and ready both knuckles and have a knuckle secession some time next week. I'm very grateful you all are here to help in these matters. Not only do I save a lot of money but gain new friends. I'll let you all know when I'm done with the disassembly. Thanks Dave and Tim for your time.

That's true as I am experiencing the task. Dirty but rewarding to learn the beast. I have an old brass fish scale I bought from a yard sale 30 years ago, finally a chance to use it. Dave and Tim came by yesterday and assessed the job and we decided I would finish cleaning and ready both knuckles and have a knuckle secession some time next week. I'm very grateful you all are here to help in these matters. Not only do I save a lot of money but gain new friends. I'll let you all know when I'm done with the disassembly. Thanks Dave and Tim for your time.
Hey Brandon! I played phone tag with you last week but was trying to figure out where you stand with this. Classes end on August 9th; if I can get ahead of homework between now and then, I'll come down, point, and say "Oh, that's interesting!". How is the cleaning coming along?

We've messed with a few differentials at HAMOM's (mine included) but I can't recall an axle rebuild... I never purposely avoided them; I've always wanted to witness one being taken apart. I had to take my 80 to Glenn because I discovered the Birf Soup about 2 weeks before GSMTR and didn't have time to do it. Still wish I'd done it myself... Anyhow, I hate that we're all collectively really busy these days! Erik with his new place, David with his business and family, and Tim taking pictures of himself with his hair in new and exciting hairstyles... He's an Air Force guy so he takes his hair very seriously. I get it. I'm glad David and Tim made it down for an evaluation and glad to hear you were taken care of with regard to parts. Keep us posted.

Yeah it's all good. I'm actually enjoying the teardown. Its amazing when push comes to shove , it's relatively easy. One side is ready to rebuild (Dave) and the other is almost done. A brass hammer would have helped because I bugered up the hub a little with a chisel. So grinding down little burrs .
So as soon as I'm done we are going to set up a clean knuckle session here Come one come all. Or be a loser and miss out on the genius of Dave.

Well I finally have everything clean and ready. Ordered warn lockouts and Bilstien shocks, should be here today. Then could not find brake shoes locally so Spector is sending out today. Should have them by next Wednesday. So we can plan a front end Hamom any time after that. At your mercy David and Tim.
Hope this is ok for you guys.

Some pics!

1501096606500-175260982.jpg

15010966343541607119635.jpg

1501096696451-1747689859.jpg

1501096729543-941147417.jpg

1501096769925-733079293.jpg

So pretty!

Man! Good and clean! i have a 45 axle that will also require this treatment soon. Was hoping to do it while the 40 is away getting pampered but Marshall is working very very quickly on it... so that isn't going to happen. Keep the pictures rolling and keep us updated if there is a HAMOM day.

Well this morning I finished putting in the axle seals and all new races. The bearings are all greased up and sitting in a zip lock ready for install. I have my jacks under the axle. I want to install the Bilsteins so should I take the weight off the axle by lifting the frame so the shocks won't be compressed?

15015141469901200284787.jpg

1501514191118-620483707.jpg

15015142709571218614415.jpg

1501514344314-830922183.jpg

For the bearings, just to be sure, you used a bearing grease packer, right? If you don't, your bearings will likely get fried. It looks something like this: Universal Bearing Packer

For the shocks, I don't think it really matters. The suspension takes all of the weight anyhow. I often just swap shocks without even lifting the car because you can compress them by hand. One word of advice though, be careful when removing the shock retention nuts! I broke both of my fronts trying to take them off and had new lugs welded in.

Wow that looks like a great tool. I did it the old way by a hand full of high temp grease scraping the Palm till oozing through. But I might get one. Also the shocks went well. I raised the frame while lowering the axle. It helped so I didn't have to compress as much. Old muscles you know. Today I'll install the dampener after refurbishing the look of the connecting arms.

1501589752019462907065.jpg

1501589926376502190128.jpg

1501590056495-1980346909.jpg

Looking good, Brandon. Let me know when you want to put this thing back together, I'll see if we can get a group together to come down.
This weekend I'm on Goat Island with the scouts, but I think the other weekends are free...
We're supposed to have a HAMOM on the 19th anyway. Will that work??
I'm trying to get the brakes done on mine after work this week.
My problem is I have to paint everything before I put it back together (don't ask) and that takes lots of extra time.

Looking good, X2 !

Well the brake shoes came today so I'm ready when you are. The original steering dampener has zerk fittings but old man emu doesn't. Is that a problem?
I'm at your mercy on the rebuild. All done except install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom