BJ40 electrical question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy,
First things first, I have gone through many a forum to find my answer and I'm still coming up short, so before some chimes in to search the threads, been there.

In all honesty, I'm hoping "lostmarbles" will jump in to help out.

That said, I'm an expat in CR with a 79 BJ40 with a B series. I bought the pig because I needed the wheels and it appeals to my time in the army. 6 weeks after buying it, the engine seized. 3 months later, engine rebuilt. The engine had a tough time starting and it was through these threads I found out about just changing the plugs and blammo, truck started fine. Fast forward a month later and the truck started to exhibit the same symptoms however instead of dieing over the course of two weeks it was less than four days. Starter relay is new and tries to turn over; the preheater clicks on and off but the pig just belches white smoke. I pulled the plugs today and did the bush test with out luck (either the cables weren't making contact or the plugs are shot). However, upon inspection, #4 (same cylinder that blew a bearing) was caked in in carbon. So i was thinking that maybe it wasnt grounded (caked up to the threads). The other three had standard carbon build up on their tips but still brand new and silver up to the threads. So in the end, i have a cruiser sitting in front of my house waiting to be fired up again.

I'll also point out that the previous two owners made a complete abortion of the wiring and that's the next step in this misadventure.

Thanks

Given the wiring is now a complete abortion, I would strip it back to nothing but the glow plugs and glow rail, wire a switch with 12V directly to it (something capable of 40A for a short period) and then assess your starting performance after manually glowing the rail for 5 seconds or so. If the switch sorts out your issues then move onto install a proper "wilson switch" with a nice big relay and a momentary option toggle switch (or push button)

Well I went back the glow plugs, which helped start it, thankfully, as I miss driving it. Still white smoke on start up. Oil doesnt seem milky so I'm not leaning towards the head gasket but I'm not opposed to retorquing. That said, I'm drawn to the fuel lines. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom