Birfield and knuckle Identification ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK. I took the front Knuckle a part and ordered a kit to rebuild it from cruiser outfitters. It looks like my knuckle may be from a mini truck but I am not sure.

The Birfield has the following identification on it:
Birfield 100-A-C and Birfield NTN-G -K-Z

The Knuckle is labeled
DT
43212-35050
B
and on the opposite side says:
85-6-18
L O/ 4

So what do I have? If 85-6-18 is the manufacturer date I may have Mini disc converstion. What other parts do I need to be aware of that might not work.
I ordered new tie rod end and disc calipers for a 79+ landcruiser and now I am not sure if they are interchangeable. I wish the previous owner would of kept records of what they did. :mad:
Thanks for any help in Identifying my parts

fj60 and late model fj40 and mini birfields are the same size. Early fj40 disc birfield is smaller. My rig has a mini disc conversion using the mini ASCO hubs, but I don't have a '76 to '78 birfield to compare. If you have a mini conversion, something was done to make the tie rod and mini knuckle arm work together. Either the mini rod was cut down, or taper inserts were used with the knuckle arm.

Like Eric said, if it's a 79+ Cruiser(40 or 60) then they birfield are the same a a mini truck(79-85) If your 79 is a 79 then no one did a mini conversion to it or if they did I can't see why??

both a mini and a 79+ Cruiser use the same seals/bearings ect.

John

Sorry. I forgot to mention my FJ40 is a August of 1975. Based on a earlier post I made it originally came with Drum brakes.

The knuckle part number is for a solid axle mini.

Thanks for the info CruiserDan. Where do you get your information?
Are the break calipers the same for mini's vs 79+ cruiser or are they different?

[quote author=petescoffee link=board=1;threadid=5656;start=msg44850#msg44850 date=1064517040]
Thanks for the info CruiserDan. Where do you get your information?

[/quote]

Um, well, it's my job.....Parts Manager, Toyota dealership. Been in the dealer parts business since '79

The solid axle mini uses different calipers than the late 40/60.
The IFS mini 86-88 uses the same caliper as the late 40/60.

If you have solid rotors, then it's '79 to '85 mini. Good time to swap over to vented fj60 rotors with V6 mini calipers. Get a matching master cyl, too. Nice upgrade.

[quote author=petescoffee link=board=1;threadid=5656;start=msg44803#msg44803 date=1064510109]
Sorry. I forgot to mention my FJ40 is a August of 1975. Based on a earlier post I made it originally came with Drum brakes.

[/quote]

well that helps, I sure would have thought from reading your post it was a 79.

Eric, just cause it has solid rotors doesnt mean its a mini, I have vented rotors on my mini front end......cause I did it right the 1st time :D

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=5656;start=msg44943#msg44943 date=1064531611]
well that helps, I sure would have thought from reading your post it was a 79.

Eric, just cause it has solid rotors doesnt mean its a mini, I have vented rotors on my mini front end......cause I did it right the 1st time :D
[/quote]

True, but combined with Dan's mini identification, it tells you what year mini ;). I went vented, too.

OK- I got my knuckle parts and new wheel bearing and even new tie rod ends.. It's nice to know what year the parts are supposed to be. I figured while I have everything a part I would order Longfields and I would be in great shape.
Well they showed up and they are slightly longer than the existing ones.
The Stub length on my existing one is 7" with a over length of 9 3/8".
The new one is slightly longer. Could my orginal Birfield be out of a landcruiser and not a mini truck. Now I am really confused. ??? Or tdoes the fact that it slightly longer not make a difference?

What hubs are you using?

sometimes they grind down the birf when doing a mini conversion don't they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom