Birf Repack Parts are hERe! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just received the front-axle service pack from CDan (thanks mucho!)...and will probably tackle the project in the coming weekend. or maybe the next.

any last minute tips and pointers i should be aware of?

the_whoster said:
any last minute tips and pointers i should be aware of?

There's a bunch of good ones out there. Just have an FSM on hand and read thru all the birf write-ups, and you'll be good to go.

:beer:
Rookie2

how many miles? what year? is it necessary or a prevent. maint thing? if necessary, what issues are you having?

It will take a long ass time on the first side if you have never done it before. Some people recommend switching the driver birf to passenger birf and vis versa. I forgot to do it, maybe it would have prevented me blowing my knuckle to hell.

Oh ya, don't mess with wheel bearing grease in the trunion/knuckle bearings. I did the first time, and when I took the knuckle apart it was all moly grease. Keep the wheel bearing synthetic grease for the wheel bearings.

Make sure you have your big ass socket too. Its like a 54 mm, or 2 3/8 or something. Slee sells it.

Also, get a brass bar and brass hammer. It really helps loosening stuff up. Plus when it's brass you can pound the hell of the cone washers, which you will have to do.

Also, when I first did my repack all the threads where messed up and dirty and I didn't really know it. Then when I put it pack together some screws stripped and broke off. Get a thread cleaner kit or borrow one if you want to be thorough.

Thats about all I can think of, good luck.

Get a few spare studs for the wheel hub and the steering knuckle. The reason I say this is because I snapped a few off on a Sunday and was not able to get replacements until Tuesday. You can get them either at the dealer or from Marlin.com. Its cheap insurance. If you get stuck send me a PM, I can always stop by to help out.

thanks for the tips folks...

i might PM you Biff.

but we're going to tackle this mess at my mechanic's place. hopefully he's got most of the sockets and whatnot.

Here are a few other tips:
Get plenty of paper towels to clear up the grease and if poss try to get access to a proper degreaser tank - it makes the clean up job a lot easier.

If you want to swap the birfields around the best trick for getting them off the driveshaft seems to be getting a 1m long bit of piping wide enough to accept the driveshaft and then just drop it in - you may have to do it a few time to get it to pop out, but saves beating the crap out of the birfield.

If you are replacing the knuckle bearings, make sure you have some spare spacers to get the correct pre-load.

Make sure you have some fishing scales up to 15lbs - not many mechanics carry these ;)

Good luck, it get pretty messy to don't wear your sunday best!

Get Gumby to help...

Grouseman

landtank said:
be sure to replace the lower arm studs to the newer style and torque them down good and tight !!!

better idea, might as well replace them. Get these

knucklestud_500.jpg

the new style studs are better. If you do buy them make sure your get a torx set from sears this is what I got, goes for $20 at Sears

6tgr9t.jpg

you want those suckers tight.

Last edited:
At a local dealer, or you can order them at Marlincrawler.com. Also get a few spare hub bolts I was surprised how easily I snapped them off, never hurts to have extras. These kind

6tk3f9.jpg

Sorry rick, what I meant to say is that your idea was better than what I said to get some spare studs. If I had to do it again I would replace all of the studs on both sides.

Biff said:
At a local dealer, or you can order them at Marlincrawler.com. Also get a few spare hub bolts I was surprised how easily I snapped them off, never hurts to have extras. These kind

6tk3f9.jpg
Sorry Biff i did search, I'm just about to replace both front knuckle this weekend.I was looking for the studs but i seems i cant find any from those website you refer to.
Oh and one more question i did look and search. Do you remember how many tubes of amsoil need for the birfs and also how much tubs or grease for the wheel bearing itself? Does anyone remember? Thanks in advance.

Jerry :beer:

JerryLX450 said:
Sorry Biff i did search, I'm just about to replace both front knuckle this weekend.I was looking for the studs but i seems i cant find any from those website you refer to.
Oh and one more question i did look and search. Do you remember how many tubes of amsoil need for the birfs and also how much tubs or grease for the wheel bearing itself? Does anyone remember? Thanks in advance.

Jerry :beer:

try this

http://marlincrawler.com/axleparts.html

I used 2.5 tubes per birf. I went by the standard of 3/4's full on the birf and that was 2.5 tubes.

I don't think you need 5 tubes for the wheel bearings, I think I used a little more than one tube, but it's been a while. One of the birf "guides" has the amount of each grease needed, IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom