Birf Repack Parts are hERe! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nothing to get confused about, just do a search for one of the birf guides to get the exact amt. of grease you'll need. There are a million posts on these.

What is the difference between grease in tubes and grease in tubs (other than the packaging)?

I screwed up and had to go get another seal for the axle after I drove the new one into place and then had the bright idea to plug up the open axle hole in the seal with a paper towel while a worked on the rest of the job.

When I pulled the paper towel out, it pulled the rubber lip on the seal and popped off the spring that encircles the lip and keeps it tight to the axle shaft. El Stupido!!!! No way to reattach the spring from the outside without pulling and destroying the seal.

so..............Don't put the seals into place until you are ready to reassemble everything. If you look closely at them and see how the spring rides around the rubber, you'll see how you could screw this up as I did. Fortunately, the local dealer had another one in stock, so it only cost me the cost of the seal and about an hour, plus some mental anguish.

TLCgrappler said:
I screwed up and had to go get another seal for the axle after I drove the new one into place and then had the bright idea to plug up the open axle hole in the seal with a paper towel while a worked on the rest of the job.

When I pulled the paper towel out, it pulled the rubber lip on the seal and popped off the spring that encircles the lip and keeps it tight to the axle shaft. El Stupido!!!! No way to reattach the spring from the outside without pulling and destroying the seal.

so..............Don't put the seals into place until you are ready to reassemble everything. If you look closely at them and see how the spring rides around the rubber, you'll see how you could screw this up as I did. Fortunately, the local dealer had another one in stock, so it only cost me the cost of the seal and about an hour, plus some mental anguish.

I can beat that, had to install a new diff. gasket after I finished a birf job. I reused the inner axle seal(I was cheap and it looked perfect), now I have to go back in there and install a new inner axle seal due to some leaking.

Biff said:
I reused the inner axle seal(I was cheap and it looked perfect), now I have to go back in there and install a new inner axle seal due to some leaking.
Wow that is cheap, and that's only a $5 seal even from Toyota...the lube to fillup the diff was probably alot more than that...

:D

mabrodis said:
Wow that is cheap, and that's only a $5 seal even from Toyota...the lube to fillup the diff was probably alot more than that...

:D

tell me about it, next time I'll just ignore my cheap side and go get a $5 seal. Now its costing me five times that in time and money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom