Bilstein Shocks vs OEM (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone put Bilstein shocks on? I don't want a super floaty ride, but have a feeling the OME shocks are going to ride too rough for me. I had Bilstein 5100's on my last Sequoia and totally loved them. I'm just curious how the Bilstein 4600's (they don't seem to make the 5100s for the cruiser) ride? Also, any other brands to consider?

I like good ride quality, in my sequoia I found the oem too floaty so I switched to bilsteins they were amazing, they added the perfect amount of stiffness without sacrificing too much ride quality. I'm hoping for the same. I do NOT want a harsh ride though. I have the added weight of a diesel up front, however I will use the appropriate diesel spec torsion bars or OME etc TB's to counter that weight. I'm not adding a heavy front bumper.

Thoughts on this?

They make bilstein 5160s for the front and rear. I have bilstein 5160s with some 32mm sway-a-way torsion bars and MD ironman 4x4 springs and I enjoy the ride. It's a bit hard to say how it is compared to stock or AHC (PO tore out AHC on my mine and replaced only the shocks with some cheap aftermarket :bang:).

I also have the Bilstein 5160's, and much prefer them to the Ironman Foam Cell Pro that I had previously.

Thanks, yeah that's right I remember one guy telling me they made the 5160's for the cruiser. I'm wondering if anyone with 4600's that can chime in re ride quality etc? Also any idea if the shocks are long enough to support a lift of 1.5-2"?

I have Bilstein 4600s installed on my LX470. Currently it’s on stock LC100 torsion bars and LC springs. It rides like my old stock Land Cruiser did on Toyota OE shocks. Cushy and nice ride. Seem like a good alternative to OEM shocks in my opinion but a little more expensive. Only reason I went with Bilstein is because they came with all the bushings and washers and stuff.

With that being said: Just ordered Sway-a-way torsion bars to replace my stock TBs and an Ironman Bumper. So I’ll try to report back on ride quality with SAW TBs and Bumper, with Bilstein 4600s.

I'm running BIL 5100s on my Tacoma. They are ok. The recent shock purchase that I really like is the Dobinsons IMS for running a lift.

1612015584888.png

You guys realize shocks are mechanical devices with specifications, not just a brand? They have dyno curves etc
Nuke be like:

9AF39D39-7777-493C-B471-EA4A8A40CE1F.jpeg

You guys realize shocks are mechanical devices with specifications, not just a brand? They have dyno curves etc
Yeah, but those curves are secrets!
Would be a great service if someone with a shock dyno would test a variety of shocks. YouTube has a lot of ‘how to use’ a dyno, but I haven’t found testing of popular shocks.
There is some information on which brands are digressive (Bilstein, Icon) vs Linear or progressive (king) but I have never seen actual measured comparisons.

I have Bilstein 4600s installed on my LX470. Currently it’s on stock LC100 torsion bars and LC springs. It rides like my old stock Land Cruiser did on Toyota OE shocks. Cushy and nice ride. Seem like a good alternative to OEM shocks in my opinion but a little more expensive. Only reason I went with Bilstein is because they came with all the bushings and washers and stuff.

With that being said: Just ordered Sway-a-way torsion bars to replace my stock TBs and an Ironman Bumper. So I’ll try to report back on ride quality with SAW TBs and Bumper, with Bilstein 4600s.
So how did the 4600's work with the SAW torsion bars work on the LX470? I have a 2001 LX470 with AHC that is not currently working, not sure why. I bought Bilstein 4600's, ARB 2860 rear springs and OME/ARB Torsion bars, which should give me about 2" lift. I've read the 4600's wont take any lift, 5100's are not available, and I can't afford the 5160's.

I need to know if the 4600's will take the 2" of lift well, or the ride is harsh because of limited droop.

@mixtec I’m only at about 1” of lift. It seems to ride fine with no I’ll effects of limited droop. I measured and I’m getting more than 2” of droop before the tires come off of the ground. So droop doesn’t seem to be an issue for me. Ride feels equivalent to my 2002 land cruiser that was on OEM shocks and suspension.

So don't OEM shocks work with up to about 2" of lift? I can't remember which thread I was reading that in but thought they were good to about there (maybe 1.5") and then that is when you really needed to start looking at other brands with longer travel.

I developed a pretty considerable squeak after one of the last club runs. Found that the Drivers front shock is leaking (OME) and have not been sold on the OME setup as it is pretty rough riding (like more than my 1.5" frankenlift I put on my 60). Have been debating between the ToughDog, Ironman, Dobinson or just going with the OEM since I highly doubt I will ever lift past what I have which is about 1.5".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom