Bilstein 6112/5160 Installed (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I forgot to post back here after getting the alignment dialed in. Previously, the alignment guy refused to try to bring the caster into the green, claiming that the aftermarket lift would make it impossible. I knew he was wrong, especially since I had installed Total Chaos UCAs just to make sure everything would align well. So a couple months later I ended up doing the calculations myself to bring the caster into the green, adjusted myself at home, then took it back for them to fix anything small (or large?) problems that I might have introduced. I'm happy that my adjustments were good, and they mostly just had to adjust the toe.

One interesting data point from this experience is that the Total Chaos UCAs can span the full range of "green", from 2.3 degree caster, all the way up to well above 3.8 degrees. That means you can adjust the alignment to get wherever caster makes sense for you in that range (e.g., to reduce rubbing in the front vs rear of the wheel well but keeping things in spec).

First picture is from after I first installed the lift back in January, and then the alignment guy actually chose to push the right-caster further out of spec to match the left, rather than bring the left in. Second picture is after I adjusted the caster myself, then took it in so they could fix the toe.

20210206_145220.jpg

20210506_155158.jpg

Installed the bilstein set up on the 5th perch plus the Toyota spacers. I'm at 22.5" in the front (after a couple of weeks settling) and 24" in the rear with the OME heavies. Also installed a Dobinson's adjustable panhard to center the rear axle.

5B9118AD-2DE1-440E-85EB-AD6CDEF42A72.jpeg

F2167285-ECCA-4EC2-8C28-E762E834F54E.jpeg

47AEABF3-69AA-4601-BA87-96722D960492.jpeg

9EA3EADB-FC48-401E-855A-2426DEFDE43D.jpeg

2FB8340A-1D0D-413C-BD88-BD2B81564C92.jpeg

Okay so lift install was completed about a month ago and have put a few hundred miles on since, had the retorted and alignment check done last week. I am really happy with how it turned out. As many have said the sloshy feel is gone and it feels much more planted. Details below:

Front- OME UCAs with Bilstein strut/ spring combo 4th perch. I also replaced the strut bearings with OEM. It is now sitting at roughly 22”.

Rear- Bilstein shocks with OME 2721 springs sitting on new OEM spring buckets, which were trimmed to allow for Firestone bags. We do some towing and so this I expect will help when heavy. Rear is sitting roughly 23”.

A huge thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

71BC87C0-C0CB-4796-99CA-0B27345C8393.jpeg

6A32BA13-A388-47D8-B55E-9CBC8DE8AC40.jpeg

AE5DB123-844F-494C-A35C-664323347AC0.jpeg

D10C7DF2-509A-437B-8CF7-39A31E05F69A.jpeg

Got mine installed finally, 5th perch setting, love the look and it rides very, very well as expected from my previous Bilstein experiences.
Most likely going to change the tires out however, from 285/70 to 285/65 - it looks good but I won't notice 33" instead of 34"
Thanks @zennisplayer for giving me some guidance along the way.

Now for some protection for the bottom so the cats don't get stolen - lifting these makes that SUPER easy for the thieves.

20210606_185612_resized.jpg

20210606_185644_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Got mine installed finally, 5th perch setting, love the look and it rides very, very well as expected from my previous Bilstein experiences.
Most likely going to change the tires out however, from 285/70 to 285/65 - it looks good but I won't notice 33" instead of 34"
@777Gage - Are you getting smaller tires because they are rubbing issues? Or more about looks/weight that is driving the change? Looks perfect currently;)

@777Gage - Are you getting smaller tires because they are rubbing issues? Or more about looks/weight that is driving the change? Looks perfect currently;)
Hey Chris,
Thanks, I do like the look, but I think that I'd be just as content with 33's and avoid any current/future rubbing. Any weight savings of a few pounds probably won't make much of a noticeable difference in the driving habits. More experienced owners may have better insight though.
Still not 100% sure yet.....

Is anyone else having a hard time sourcing this set-up? I ordered the whole kit from AJUSA back in April, with no ETA on the front. Ended up finding a front kit from Summit (the last they had in stock), the rear shocks from AJUSA are shipping this week, and am waiting on rear springs from Ironman4x4. Both OME and Dobinsons show out of stock on the mid-weight springs.

I am waiting too on my order from AJUSA. Everything is just out of stock in 2021....weeeeeeee!
Same here. I called AJUSA an hour ago. I was told they would honor the price when I purchased in April. The rep told me Bilstein in Germany did not replenish their stock for these items when customers were buying. Imho more inflation is coming and it's going to impact auto parts, outdoor gear, etc. I have more parts to buy from Toyota so I'll probably take care of this in the next month or two to get ahead of price increases.

Is anyone else having a hard time sourcing this set-up? I ordered the whole kit from AJUSA back in April, with no ETA on the front. Ended up finding a front kit from Summit (the last they had in stock), the rear shocks from AJUSA are shipping this week, and am waiting on rear springs from Ironman4x4. Both OME and Dobinsons show out of stock on the mid-weight springs.
I had the same issue over the last couple months. Ordered the whole kit with AJUSA and it was back-ordered, then called a few other companies selling the same kit and was told August at best.
Called AJUSA back after about 4 weeks and ordered the Bilstein rear set-up since they had it in the warehouse. Then called Summit, they had the front set-up sitting on the shelf in Georgia. (had 2 when I ordered)

The price difference was about $180 more to piece it out like that - but at least it's installed now!

Suspension install is complete, front is on the 6th perch and rear is using the ironman 0-600lb cargo constant rate 269lb/in springs. I still have an ironman front bumper and winch to install, and will then head for alignment. These measurements are after driving about a mile around the neighborhood with the KDSS valves out 3 turns. My "empty" configuration is about 200lb over stock (minus third row, plus drawers and some gear) in the rear, with most of that weight on the right. The truck has just under 1/4 tank fuel.

LF 22.25" (stock 19.5")
RF 22.5" (stock 19")
LR 24.0" (stock 22")
RR 23.88" (stock 21.75")

I failed the RF wheel speed sensor harness, and hope that the part will arrive next week. Definitely need to unbolt those clips immediately following wheel removal, and not scramble around for a 12mm after popping the UCA ball joint ;)

For those that have completed the installation did you use the original top shock bolt 22mm or did you use the new one that came with the shocks. Rear shocks.

I used the original bolt with the new bilstein. it tightens up and then eventually goes loose again. If I continue to tighten it it would eventually gets tight again. The cycle repeats.

Maybe I need to use the new bolt that came with the bilstein shocks.

For those that have completed the installation did you use the original top shock bolt 22mm or did you use the new one that came with the shocks. Rear shocks.

I used the original bolt with the new bilstein. it tightens up and then eventually goes loose again. If I continue to tighten it it would eventually gets tight again. The cycle repeats.

Are you holding the shock piston while tightening the nut?

I used hardware that came with the kit and didn't have any problems.

Yes I did. Both sides.
The nuts are designed to "lock" in place. If you look at them they are shaped intentionally to accomplish this. This will cause intermittent resistance and then could feel like it's getting easier. It will start when the top of the nut reaches the top of the threaded piston. Perhaps that's what's happening?

The nuts are designed to "lock" in place. If you look at them they are shaped intentionally to accomplish this. This will cause intermittent resistance and then could feel like it's getting easier. It will start when the top of the nut reaches the top of the threaded piston. Perhaps that's what's happening?
That could be what’s happening. Not sure . Wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same as me from the bilstein setup.

That could be what’s happening. Not sure . Wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same as me
That could be what’s happening. Not sure . Wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same as me from the bilstein setup.
Have you double checked you have the sleeve, washers, and cushions in and installed in the correct order?

Have you double checked you have the sleeve, washers, and cushions in and installed in the correct order?
Yes I verified it before I installed it. Use the setup provided in the install directions.

im thinking it could be the bolt. I won’t get to verify it until after work today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom