Bilstein 6112/5160 Installed (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Robert B please post a picture of your LCA adjuster cams at the subframe, so we can get an idea of how far they had to adjust things to get the alignment dialed in. Need both the front and rear adjuster on at least one arm to get an idea if they had to crank things to the limit.

Also your first picture seems to show three adjusting rings visible below the spring perch.. not sure how many there are total. This means you should be able to lower it quite a bit if needed.

What is the front spring rate?

Are the fronts remote reservoir?

I'm very interested in this setup. Was starting to lean King 2.5s because I thought these would never come true..

All the info available is on Bilstein website. No mention of spring rates. Fronts are not remote resi. ~$1350 depending on what you use for rear springs.
B2D0B1E0-4BF2-456E-8D20-92871A8257FF.jpeg

My LC is set to perch 5. While we did not get into spring rates, the Bilstein tech told me that the standard springs will handle the load of a steel front bumper and winch. I was also told by one of the persons who was part of 6112 product development team that it was designed to allow alignment without the need for an aftermarket UCA.

@Robert B please post a picture of your LCA adjuster cams at the subframe, so we can get an idea of how far they had to adjust things to get the alignment dialed in. Need both the front and rear adjuster on at least one arm to get an idea if they had to crank things to the limit.

Also your first picture seems to show three adjusting rings visible below the spring perch.. not sure how many there are total. This means you should be able to lower it quite a bit if needed.

I'm very interested in this setup. Was starting to lean King 2.5s because I thought these would never come true..

No front reservoir and I do not know the spring rate. Having previously put Kings on an F150, the character of the Bilsteins and Kings is very different. The Bilsteins are digressive and Kings are progressive. The Kings were very soft and seemed to provide very little damping at low speeds. For example, when coming to a stop, the truck would bounce up and down as if there were no shocks. While this may have some advantages for certain applications and was somewhat of a novelty for me -- that characteristic was a constant reminder that I had the cool blue Kings up front -- I prefer the Bilsteins because the make my Landcruiser feel dialed-in and controlled in a way that Toyota could have -- and should have -- dialed it in in the first place.

No front reservoir and I do not know the spring rate. Having previously put Kings on an F150, the character of the Bilsteins and Kings is very different. The Bilsteins are digressive and Kings are progressive. The Kings were very soft and seemed to provide very little damping at low speeds. For example, when coming to a stop, the truck would bounce up and down as if there were no shocks. While this may have some advantages for certain applications and was somewhat of a novelty for me -- that characteristic was a constant reminder that I had the cool blue Kings up front -- I prefer the Bilsteins because the make my Landcruiser feel dialed-in and controlled in a way that Toyota could have -- and should have -- dialed it in in the first place.

My LC is set to perch 5. While we did not get into spring rates, the Bilstein tech told me that the standard springs will handle the load of a steel front bumper and winch. I was also told by one of the persons who was part of 6112 product development team that it was designed to allow alignment without the need for an aftermarket UCA.

The only way to allow proper alignment with stock UCAs is to limit lift amount. Bilstein can’t design around inherent castor loss when the front is lifted other than creating a spring/shock combo that cannot be preloaded to an amount that exceeds the point where alignments become difficult.

Very interested with feedback on this new setup of bilstein.. are they stiffer than the b4600’s or are they similar to oem ride with lots better control? I’ve been putting off buying the 4600’s waiting for these to come out. Robert, your feedback, I’m sure, will be much anticipated by many here...

If someone manages to get the spring rate from bilstein please post it. That is a very important characteristic. I don’t plan to run a steel bumper so it’s possible these will be stiffer than is ideal.

Also I’ll point out that while the kings might have needed some tweaking this is possible to do. I’m assuming the bilsteins are fixed and finding parts to adjust damping would be much more difficult. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing.. bilstein makes a great shock, and as OP points out they seem dialed in. But some people might be after other characteristics.

How would you describe the ride as far as comfort around town? More stiff than a fresh OEM suspension?
The ride is not stiff at all. The best way for me to describe it is more controlled and it seems I am getting more feedback. For example, the stiffness of the e-range tires is more perceptible, which may have gotten lost in the "slop" in the stock coilovers. And, it clearly the tires that I feel and not the stiffness of the suspension.

How would you describe the ride as far as comfort around town? More stiff than a fresh OEM suspension?
The ride is not stiff at all. The best way for me to describe it is more controlled and it seems I am getting more feedback. For example, the stiffness of the e-range tires is more perceptible, which may have gotten lost in the "slop" in the stock coilovers. And, it clearly the tires that I feel and not the stiffness of the suspension.

Just spoke to Bilstein, the spring rate is 650 lb

thanks Robert.. my real concern is i really dont have my rig loaded and i have read more than a couple of times that the 4600's create a more controlled but harsher/stiffer ride. as the lc seldom goes off the beaten track and more a family rig, comfort and control is of high priority.. right now with the oem i can describe it as comfortable but less than controlled as it wallows a bit..

Are
Just spoke to Bilstein, the spring rate is 650 lb

If I was adding ANY weight up front I would want 700# coils. I started with 620# coils on my 6112s on my 4Runner V8 with an ARB bumper and the sag/brake dive was very noticeable.

Went to 700# coils and it was fixed. Also didn’t need to preload them so much (obviously).

For a truck that weighs 1400# more - I’d want the 700# springs

I’m not so sure 4Runner coil specs can be compared to the 200. All it takes is slightly different proportions of arm length or strut mount position to make a huge difference in lever arms. I believe 650 is generally considered enough coil to support a winch bumper, winch, and dual batteries on king shocks, with some going to 700s for a little more firmness. Stock is 500 if I remember correctly.

Could these be set to stock height?

I'm wicked close to pulling the trigger on this setup. Only concern is the spring rate of the coils compared to what is on our stock vehicles. I'm not planning on a bumper, extra battery, etc in the front so I really don't feel like getting thrown around by a coil that's too stiff. Sounds like the spring rate is 650 lbs, does anyone know for sure what the stock coil spring rate is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom