Big brakes for the 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short to begin with: I upgraded the brakes on my FZJ 80, by installing a larger-diameter rotor and mounting the stock caliper on a different bracket. I threw away the dust shields, and run 17" wheels.

The stock brakes on my 80 have always been adequate, but I figured I could make them more adequater. :D

Started with some larger rotors (13.3" vs stock 12.25")

zJAZ.jpg

The center bore of the rotors is larger than the wheel hub on the 80. So I 3D printed these little spacers. Time will tell if things get too hot for the plastic to survive or not--but since the rotor is clamped by the wheel, it will only matter when the wheel gets taken off.

zrqq.jpg

This is where they sit:

The original rotor bolts on in back of the hub. This new one will slip-fit on the outside, but the O.D. of the hub is too large. So, turn it down. (you can also see an initial mockup bracket bolted in place, which got modified quite a bit by the final version) Also, the rotor indexes nicely on the O.D. of the wheel hub, so my little 3D printed spacer is probably completely unnecessary.

The new position of the caliper requires the bending of this tab that holds the ABS line.

I also had to grind a bit on one of the caliper mount tabs. Original first, then the post-grinding version:

And all assembled! Sorry for the crappy pic.

Here are the before/after brake distance numbers I tested. Both tests, I did one ~45MPH "panic stop" first with no measuring....that's mostly because on my first attempt, I didn't leave enough room to get the slow 80 up to 50mph indicated. :p So that one was thrown out, but serves to heat everything up a bit. I'll call that Stop #0. Then 4 subsequent stops from 50-0, marking the stop spot with chalk. (beginning braking when I passed a flagpole)

Before: Stock 80 brakes, with 100 series pads. 50MPH indicated starting speed:
Stop 1: 102'
2: 114'
3: 123'
4: 123'

Stops 0 and 1 both dug in nice and hard, ABS chattering away, tires barking, stopped as fast as that truck will stop. Stop #2 ABS still engaged a little, but not nearly as much--and the brakes started smelling pretty strong. #3 and 4, no ABS at all, no tire barking, lots of burning-brake smell, and you can see in the stop distance it was doing all it could do. I would say I was well into "faded brakes" territory.

After: 4Runner rotors, stock 80 calipers, with new Toyota 80 pads. Bedded in pads/rotors, then drove for a week to make sure they were all set. 50MPH indicated starting speed:
Stop 1: 112'
2: 96'
3: 116'
4: 101'

I don't think I was as accurate on my initial speed, nor my "beginning stop" point on these--and just a couple MPH difference, and/or a few feet distance at the start really affect the measurements. BUT, the main takeaway is that ALL stops from 0 thru 4 had the ABS activating and tires barking, with just a little brake smell on the last one or two. I imagine if I would have kept doing test-brake runs I would have gotten into "fade" area, but for my purposes I'm completely happy.

In my setup, the extra ~.25" of rotor thickness took up all the hub-centric pilot of the hub, and also made my lug studs too short. I'm OK with running lug-centric, and some Extended Thread lug nuts made up for the too-short studs. (the ET nuts have an extra little pilot sticking out through the tapered seat)

This may not be the best way of getting bigger brakes (probably isn't), but it was cheap and effective. Only cost me a pair of rotors and some time, and gained me some stopping performance and future maintenance ease since the rotor is now slip-fit. :)

Long story short to begin with: I upgraded the brakes on my FZJ 80, by installing a larger-diameter rotor and mounting the stock caliper on a different bracket. I threw away the dust shields, and run 17" wheels.

The stock brakes on my 80 have always been adequate, but I figured I could make them more adequater. :D

Started with some larger rotors (13.3" vs stock 12.25")

zJAZ.jpg

The center bore of the rotors is larger than the wheel hub on the 80. So I 3D printed these little spacers. Time will tell if things get too hot for the plastic to survive or not--but since the rotor is clamped by the wheel, it will only matter when the wheel gets taken off.

zrqq.jpg

This is where they sit:

The original rotor bolts on in back of the hub. This new one will slip-fit on the outside, but the O.D. of the hub is too large. So, turn it down. (you can also see an initial mockup bracket bolted in place, which got modified quite a bit by the final version) Also, the rotor indexes nicely on the O.D. of the wheel hub, so my little 3D printed spacer is probably completely unnecessary.

The new position of the caliper requires the bending of this tab that holds the ABS line.

I also had to grind a bit on one of the caliper mount tabs. Original first, then the post-grinding version:

And all assembled! Sorry for the crappy pic.

Here are the before/after brake distance numbers I tested. Both tests, I did one ~45MPH "panic stop" first with no measuring....that's mostly because on my first attempt, I didn't leave enough room to get the slow 80 up to 50mph indicated. :p So that one was thrown out, but serves to heat everything up a bit. I'll call that Stop #0. Then 4 subsequent stops from 50-0, marking the stop spot with chalk. (beginning braking when I passed a flagpole)

Before: Stock 80 brakes, with 100 series pads. 50MPH indicated starting speed:
Stop 1: 102'
2: 114'
3: 123'
4: 123'

Stops 0 and 1 both dug in nice and hard, ABS chattering away, tires barking, stopped as fast as that truck will stop. Stop #2 ABS still engaged a little, but not nearly as much--and the brakes started smelling pretty strong. #3 and 4, no ABS at all, no tire barking, lots of burning-brake smell, and you can see in the stop distance it was doing all it could do. I would say I was well into "faded brakes" territory.

After: 4Runner rotors, stock 80 calipers, with new Toyota 80 pads. Bedded in pads/rotors, then drove for a week to make sure they were all set. 50MPH indicated starting speed:
Stop 1: 112'
2: 96'
3: 116'
4: 101'

I don't think I was as accurate on my initial speed, nor my "beginning stop" point on these--and just a couple MPH difference, and/or a few feet distance at the start really affect the measurements. BUT, the main takeaway is that ALL stops from 0 thru 4 had the ABS activating and tires barking, with just a little brake smell on the last one or two. I imagine if I would have kept doing test-brake runs I would have gotten into "fade" area, but for my purposes I'm completely happy.

In my setup, the extra ~.25" of rotor thickness took up all the hub-centric pilot of the hub, and also made my lug studs too short. I'm OK with running lug-centric, and some Extended Thread lug nuts made up for the too-short studs. (the ET nuts have an extra little pilot sticking out through the tapered seat)

This may not be the best way of getting bigger brakes (probably isn't), but it was cheap and effective. Only cost me a pair of rotors and some time, and gained me some stopping performance and future maintenance ease since the rotor is now slip-fit. :)
Did you install longer studs in the hub or are you running different wheels or what adjustment was made to accommodate the additional rotor thickness on the OUTSIDE of the hub instead of inboard?

Nicely done, Carl. :cheers:

Did you install longer studs in the hub or are you running different wheels or what adjustment was made to accommodate the additional rotor thickness on the OUTSIDE of the hub instead of inboard?

Second-to-last paragraph. I'm just running some ET lugnuts.

Not these ones, but this pic shows the difference between normal tapered seat and ET lugs:

ETLug.png

Second-to-last paragraph. I'm just running some ET lugnuts.

Not these ones, but this pic shows the difference between normal tapered seat and ET lugs:

ETLug.png
OK Thanks! Reading comprehension 101......

Seems like the main differences between the first and second group of testing were: 1) ? old versus new brake pads and 2) increased mass of the larger rotor, so more steel to dissipate the heat?? Was anything else changed between the first and second group of tests: hydraulic system flushed, new fluid??

Very interesting indeed.
Good info... lets see what the long term is.
Redline Cruiser is working on a big brake kit also...

Did you make the brackets? Are they available from somewhere?

I made them, not available anywhere. :p If you wanted to make your own I'd happily share the DXF file. And as I mentioned, I think there are better ways to go about this than what I did, probably with less machining of the wheel hub if that matters to you.

Seems like the main differences between the first and second group of testing were: 1) ? old versus new brake pads and 2) increased mass of the larger rotor, so more steel to dissipate the heat?? Was anything else changed between the first and second group of tests: hydraulic system flushed, new fluid??

Yes. I don't really think the new pads would have made much difference, I just replaced them "while I'm in there". The increased mass, and especially increased diameter of the new rotors are the big differences. I didn't flush fluid. I didn't even bleed the brakes.

Very interesting indeed.
Good info... lets see what the long term is.
Redline Cruiser is working on a big brake kit also...

I don't know if it's "long term" yet, but I've been running these since August. The only functional difference I've noticed is a bit lighter pedal feel. I don't have to put as much pressure on the pedal to slow down at the same rate as before.

Firstly, nice job on making an improvement, but if you went to the effort of making a caliper bracket then why not make it to use the bigger calipers as well? FZJ calipers 45mm per piston, 2012 4runner 48mm per piston, 2012 Tundra 5.7 50.9mm per piston, same rotor thickness as the 4runner too, 1.26" so that may be worth looking into.

Firstly, nice job on making an improvement, but if you went to the effort of making a caliper bracket then why not make it to use the bigger calipers as well? FZJ calipers 45mm per piston, 2012 4runner 48mm per piston, 2012 Tundra 5.7 50.9mm per piston, same rotor thickness as the 4runner too, 1.26" so that may be worth looking into.

That 4runner caliper is the one I was looking at using, but went this route instead. I don't know for sure if the added piston area would necessitate a master cylinder change or not, but that's a possible side effect. There also wouldn't be room to easily make the 4runner rotor slip-fit, which is one goal I had. Mounting it to the back of the hub could be done by either machining the back of the hub, or spacing the caliper inboard, or a combination of both. There are other rotor options that might make things even easier, but still in back of the hub....kinda keeping that in the back of my mind for future tinkering. :)

I don't know for sure if the added piston area would necessitate a master cylinder change or not, but that's a possible side effect.
If you increase the bore size of your calipers, then yes you'll need to change your master cylinder to one with a bigger bore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom