big blocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have heard that a big block is about the same weight as the cruisers six but lets say its around 200 lbs more, would there be any problems with its extra weight? I want to put in a 345 but its larger than the six.

i could be wrong, but isnt a 345 still regarded as a small block?

An SBC 350 is definatly larger displacement than a Toy inline six, yet it weighs 200#'s less. You will have a hard time finding an engine that weighs as much as an F/2F that would be a feasible swap. So the answer is no. As long as your frame is in good shape and your suspension is not sagging OEM's you should be fine.

yeah,

the ol cast iron wonder weighs about 2 metric buttloads.

345 is an international motor, and I do know of one in a FJ40.

Not to be mean, but yer nuts. My buddy (Jim) with the 345 knows it's a boat anchor and despite the fact that he's had it built to run 5500 rpms, the weight alone is a killer. IMO, a 454 Chev is a better swap, is a real big block, will have much cheaper repair/aftermarket parts, and might even be lighter.

Cooling is the big issue with a big block.

I ran 200-210 all weekend at BHCC, in 107 degree heat, idleing on the trail or on the highway. IMO, the 350 SBC is the ticket.

Ethan,
I'd suggest your decision of what engine to use be based on how you plan to use the vehicle. The IH 345 (And, yes, this is a big block) will weigh about the same as your stock 6 and will be a slow turning heavy duty high torque motor. This is the same engine IH ran in many of their gas powered combines in addition to trucks much heavier than the Scout II we know best.

I know none of this addresses your question ... will there be a problem with weight? No. Still, if going to the trouble and cost of a swap (and there's plenty of both) AND if you're sure you want a big block, my 2 cents says consider a chevy for both cost and ease of conversion.

Regardless, good luck. It should be a fun project.

Well the whole reason I wanted to use the 345 is that is was FREE. yeah I am going to pull it out of a big delivery truck. it has low miles and seems like it would have lots of power but still not a high rev. I would have to make all the parts to convert it myself but that would be another free item as I am taking machine classes and get all the material free. I do have a 305 with no heads and might need a rebuild that I was going to use but then this came along. So What do you all think. should I just sell this motor and get a 350 or should I go ahead and put the big beast in and see what happens. (if I do put it in I plan to document it)

Friend of mine has a 345 in a Scout that he took out of some big truck, gets 6 miles to the gallon. Makes my 40 look like a corolla. He loves it though.

Sorry for piping in again, Ethan. The fact that you'll be able to make much of your stuff will help depending on what drivetrain you use. Scout stuff isn't too hard to find and in fact had a lot of parts shared by J**P. I doubt you would be unhappy with the 305 you have as far as performance goes. It has the same stroke as a 350 so you can use a nice 350 crank (only has a smaller bore) and heads are cheap (you can't use big valve heads because they won't clear the cylinder walls). If you sell the 345 and use the $$ to build the 305 you'll end up with a reliable "easy to find parts" motor that's easier to cool. Along those same lines are you planning to use the stock rear ends with 4.10 gears? If you are you may want something that can wind up a little tighter if you want highway speeds. My conversion involved the usual 350 (albeit I did aluminum heads and some other goods) and opted for overdrive ... I'm very glad I did. Even with the small block I wouldn't want to turn 2800 RPM every time I went down the highway. On the other hand if you want a trail rig forget everthing I just said and go for it. :D

I gotta buddy who's an AMC nut and has one of those 345. He about sprayed in his pants when he found it. I guess they're hard to find and highly sought after.

He can't do that much with it due to the limited availability and expense of aftermarket parts.

On the other hand those blocks are supposedly indestructible due to high nickel content.

He's been slowly puttin it together for about 2 years now.

Money-wise, I'd say try another option. (IMHO)

I believe it's a Scout T-18 granny tranny, with a D300 t-case, D60 rear, D44 front, and coils all around w/ 38" skinny boggers. PHAT truck, and he had it on EBAY recently for sale - no takers tho. It was featured in 4WD-SU mag about 10 years ago when he first built it.

Check the photos page of the main ih8mud.com page...lots of pics from Slade, his is the teal one with the boggers on it. Custom headers, etc...

yer looking at a pricey project, IMO...and unfortunately, one that 99.99999% of the rest of the population will never touch...resale will be near impossible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom