Big Bend in Late January or Early Feb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, at this point it looks like @bottombracket, @bobcatag2006, @MrBaconjr, @92RedToy and myself...

@PearlLX470, @davegonz, @77mustard40, @TexFJ, @jhollander, @patride71, @JOSHD, @aljollano, still interested?

It would be nice to have someone who knows trails really good lead. I've been to national park 3X and state park 1X mostly following (and drinking beers) folks who knew the parks. First time was with @Mr Cimarron and @fl4031003 leading the way at national park. The other times my brother has led the way.
I'm a tentative yes. I'll need to re-read the reservation requirements though.

I also ride ADV bikes, and got this guide a year or so ago for Big Bend. While it is motorcycle specific, it has a ton of great info on trails in both the national and state parks, as well as Terlingua Ranch. Comes with maps of each. It's a good guide for planning and execution of a trip to the region.

Details here, including how to order (disclaimer- I don't know the author, and have no stake in the guide)

IMG_0850.jpeg

I was in just both parks for a few days before the latest snowstorm. In BBSP we had a reservation at a campsite called La Mota 1. It's not too far from the Sauceda ranger station. It was 30 miles of dirt road to get to that site. I highly recommed that whole area. Literally 2 hours from the pavement. Nothing too crazy, a few rocky sections but nothing I'd consider rock crawling. My stock AHC LX470 was right at home.

Stayed another night at a private camp outside Terlingua because we couldn't get a reservation that night.

I believe all sites in BBRSP are reservable and there was zero walk-up sites available the days I was there.

In BBNP all sites are now reservable except the primitive roadside sites along Old Maverick Rd, Glenn Springs Rd, and River Rd (not to be confused with the other River Rd in the state park.) Those 3 roads are always 1st come, 1st serve but you still need to get the permit for them at Panther Junction no earlier than the day prior. They were all full when I was there. If you guys go without reservations I'd have a few private campgrounds near Terlingua in mind for a bbackup plan.

I prefer the state park in the cold months because fires are allowed. No fires in the NP.

IMG_5262.JPG

lx.jpg

I would 100% agree we should make reservations. Lots to do in State Park- if the Solitario area is open (was not in Oct when I tried to go), there are more than a few trails and an honor bar in one of the out holdings. State Park is also far less traveled (and patrolled) than National Park.

Pinto Canyon Road is a spectacular drive. All day excursion from in the State Park, but really great- you drive right through the heart of the Chinati Mountains.

IMG_0386.JPG

Thanks for putting this to together. I don’t think I can make the whole week, but should be able to make the last half. Excited to see Big Bend for the first time.

I've been hoping to join y'all on this trip but my kid's birthday is on the 12th, and they're not the type to camp.

I would 100% agree we should make reservations. Lots to do in State Park- if the Solitario area is open (was not in Oct when I tried to go), there are more than a few trails and an honor bar in one of the out holdings. State Park is also far less traveled (and patrolled) than National Park.

Pinto Canyon Road is a spectacular drive. All day excursion from in the State Park, but really great- you drive right through the heart of the Chinati Mountains.

View attachment 2545394
@MrBaconjr, so the solitario (tres papalotes) area is available 2/8-2/12, I am about to reserve but I have a question for you? shall we book the same spot for the whole time we are there? in the past when I have been to either state or national, we try to take a different site every night just to experience a different site.

Damn this sounds like fun. Been wanting to make a trip out there. Unfortunately I've got a prior engagement that week. Y'all have fun and take pictures!

@MrBaconjr, so the solitario (tres papalotes) area is available 2/8-2/12, I am about to reserve but I have a question for you? shall we book the same spot for the whole time we are there? in the past when I have been to either state or national, we try to take a different site every night just to experience a different site.
I would agree we should move around- the State Park is really big. Bigger than the NP, with far fewer visitors. Start in the Solitario, and then head west across the park.

@bobcatag2006, @bottombracket @davegonz[/USER] ,@TexFJ, @MrBaconjr and everyone else that wants to go, I am booking the Tres Papalotes site, 5 vehicles allowed.... I can add the different vehicles to reservation, please pm me your truck's info and I will add it to the reservation(s)

Last edited:
Looks like I can make it for the second half of the week as well. Will head that way Wend Afternoon and head back to Austin on Saturday AM. @meatloaf are you booking Tres P for the week? Or is the plan to stay in multiple places in the park? for Wend/Thurs the adjacent spot is available. Would have to book farther away for Friday.

I call
Looks like I can make it for the second half of the week as well. Will head that way Wend Afternoon and head back to Austin on Saturday AM. @meatloaf are you booking Tres P for the week? Or is the plan to stay in multiple places in the park? for Wend/Thurs the adjacent spot is available. Would have to book farther away for Friday.

@PearlLX470, glad to hear you are going... The plan is to camp at multiple sites. I already booked Tres Papalotes for two nights starting 02/08

I call

@PearlLX470, glad to hear you are going... The plan is to camp at multiple sites. I already booked Tres Papalotes for two nights starting 02/08
Sweet. Have you picked the location for the 10-12th?

Really depends on what everyone wants to do. We could base out of the Sauceda area (SP HQ) 10-12th, or be based in Terlingua Ranch. Lots to drive in TR, and it's a good deal closer to BBNP.

Really depends on what everyone wants to do. We could base out of the Sauceda area (SP HQ) 10-12th, or be based in Terlingua Ranch. Lots to drive in TR, and it's a good deal closer to BBNP.
@MrBaconjr where is sauceda in relation to terlingua and bbsp? I just want to drive some dirt and see the sights. No agenda. Just happy to get out into the open.

@MrBaconjr where is sauceda in relation to terlingua and bbsp? I just want to drive some dirt and see the sights. No agenda. Just happy to get out into the open.
Sauceda is the middle of BBRSP. Ranger HQ, store, etc. West of the Solitario. Terlingua is east of the Solitario. If we do Terlingua Ranch, we can also do some driving in BBNP is my thought. I have friends who have a couple places in Terlingua Ranch we could camp and have toilet/shower.

Sauceda is the middle of BBRSP. Ranger HQ, store, etc. West of the Solitario. Terlingua is east of the Solitario. If we do Terlingua Ranch, we can also do some driving in BBNP is my thought. I have friends who have a couple places in Terlingua Ranch we could camp and have toilet/shower.
Along for the ride so that works for me. Just let me know if i need to book a place or pitch in somehow. Everyone else please share ur feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom