Big Bear-a-thon for June 2023 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As you may already know, the Mountain Top Ranger District has lifted the winter weather closure of all forest roads (with a few exceptions). To celebrate the re-opening the forest routes, I am suggesting that our club hold a multi-day event in Big Bear Mountain on the weekend of 6/23-25. The tentative plan is arrive in Fawnskin on Friday, explore the area and secure a camp site early then go out on a run, and return to camp for the night. For Saturday, we will organize two runs: a technical run for well-prepared rigs and a more relaxing run, almost "slider-less" if you will. Ideally, the two runs would head in the same direction and join up at the end of the runs. Time allows we will visit the club adopted trail in Little Bear Spring in preparation for our July trail work day. We will return to camp for Saturday night. Sunday will be a relaxing run down the mountain and head for home.

Obviously, there's still much planning. Please post your thoughts and suggestions here and we will figure out a plan that would incorporate your inputs. The goal is for everyone to enjoy the San Bernardino National Forest and to support each other in our experience of off-pavement travel.

As you may already know, the Mountain Top Ranger District has lifted the winter weather closure of all forest roads (with a few exceptions). To celebrate the re-opening the forest routes, I am suggesting that our club hold a multi-day event in Big Bear Mountain on the weekend of 6/23-25. The tentative plan is arrive in Fawnskin on Friday, explore the area and secure a camp site early then go out on a run, and return to camp for the night. For Saturday, we will organize two runs: a technical run for well-prepared rigs and a more relaxing run, almost "slider-less" if you will. Ideally, the two runs would head in the same direction and join up at the end of the runs. Time allows we will visit the club adopted trail in Little Bear Spring in preparation for our July trail work day. We will return to camp for Saturday night. Sunday will be a relaxing run down the mountain and head for home.

Obviously, there's still much planning. Please post your thoughts and suggestions here and we will figure out a plan that would incorporate your inputs. The goal is for everyone to enjoy the San Bernardino National Forest and to support each other in our experience of off-pavement travel.
I would be interested in this event . I'll check my calendar schedule this weekend for availability .

Marc

I’m interested. I’m in a mostly stock 100 with sliders.

Is camp accessible with a trailer or tent only?
We camp in the forest so I think trailers will be OK. I’m hopeful that some of our club members who have trailered their built rigs to the area can provide input.

I would make myself available for sure. Look forward for any and all updates.

I'm interested. I'd come for multi nights if I can bring a trailer. If not, I'd come for the day.
I’m planning a pre-run to the area next weekend to checkout road conditions and scout for camping spots. I’ve never trailer-camped there myself but have seen trailers and RVs in the Holcomb Valley area. There’s a first come first served campsite there but it gets expensive for a group. I’ll scout out possible dispersed sites that are suitable for trailers. I don’t think it’s going to be an issue given how capable your rig and trailer combo is.

Have to pick up the :flamingo: from Long Beach airport at noon, so wouldn't be able to leave OC until 3ish at best. Post up your anticipated Friday campsite and we'll see.

UPDATE:
1. The event will be on June 23-25. I will be in the area all three days if not more.
2. I am planning for two runs on Saturday and need a volunteer to lead the second run.

Last edited:
I have a new trailer now, a Airstream Basecamp 20X. It is designed to handle some off-road capability, but no as capable as my previous trailer. I would like to bring it on the trip, but I'm not sure if our basecamp will be in an area travel able by this new unit. Thoughts?

I have a new trailer now, a Airstream Basecamp 20X. It is designed to handle some off-road capability, but no as capable as my previous trailer. I would like to bring it on the trip, but I'm not sure if our basecamp will be in an area travel able by this new unit. Thoughts?
Congratulations! That's a really nice camper and definitely suites your style. Can't wait to see it in the wild.
Let's talk more about location and timing at the Sunday club meeting. For starter, 3N16 to Holcomb Valley is quite accessible. (I took an old Acura CL w/MT on it once - another reason for the Landcruiser!). I am currently planning to go up early on Friday 6/23 and possibly Thursday 6/22 if I can get away. If you and I meet up ahead of the crowd, we'll find a suitable spot for your Airstream and still have time for the rest of the festivities. More soon...

Congratulations! That's a really nice camper and definitely suites your style. Can't wait to see it in the wild.
Let's talk more about location and timing at the Sunday club meeting. For starter, 3N16 to Holcomb Valley is quite accessible. (I took an old Acura CL w/MT on it once - another reason for the Landcruiser!). I am currently planning to go up early on Friday 6/23 and possibly Thursday 6/22 if I can get away. If you and I meet up ahead of the crowd, we'll find a suitable spot for your Airstream and still have time for the rest of the festivities. More soon...
Sounds like a plan

UPDATE:
As of this morning June 5th, the SBNF Big Bear Discovery Center for camp sites in the Holcomb Valley area told me that the area we plan to camp is open and no fee or pass is needed for dispersed camping. They verified that the three spots I selected are open and outside the restrictions for dispersed camping. FYI - The restrictions for dispersed camping per SBNF website's FAQ's Region 5 - Regional Overview - https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r5/about-region/overview/?cid=STELPRDB5289752:
"You can generally camp anywhere on National Forests, unless the area is posted otherwise. If you need your vehicle to camp, there may be some restrictions on where you can go. You may not drive or camp where you will cause resource damage, such as making vehicle ruts off roadways or damaging trees or streams. We recommend that you camp at least 150 feet from all lakes and streams. The distance you may pull your vehicle off an established roadway will vary, depending on the travel management policies of each forest. Generally, you may not drive more than 300 feet off a roadway to park, but this distance may be less in some areas. Please contact the local office near where you want to go and be sure to inquire about current fire restrictions."

If you have any question specific to your plan, please reach out to the SBNF Big Bear office at 909-382-2790 or 800-735-2922.

I will provide more details of the event in my next post....

SoCal TLCA Big Bear-a-thon:
Friday to Sunday June 23th - June 25th, 2023

If you intend to join please post here with your name, rig/trailer, passenger(s), date(s) you plan to attend so I can have an idea of the size of our group.

Even though Thursday is not an official event date, I will drive to the area in the morning. If you plan to come on Thursday, post a reply and we can meet up. The plan is to secure one of these camping spots (coordinates in parentheses):
Camp site 1: Hepburn Mine Road - End of 3N19 spur of 3N32 (34.30180, -116.87240) - this location is on the route to the east end of John Bull (JB) flat. One of the larger sites but also popular.
Camp site 2: Van Dusen Creek Road to east end of JB - Along 3N07A just north of 3N07 (34.30509, -116.88621)
Camp site 3: Van Dusen Creek Road to the west end of JB Along 3N07 (34.30788, -116.89453)
Van Dusen Creek Road, aka Holcomb Pinnacles Camp Road, leads to The Pinnacles - a popular rock climbing spot. The presence of a Volt, a Corolla, along with an assortment of Subarus and crossovers suggest that all of these sites would be reachable with 2WD trucks, crossover and sedans and can accomodate trailers and campers.

For those planning to meet up at camp, the way up to these camps is as follows:
1. Take North Shore Drive, aka CA-38, to Fawnskin and turn left on Polique Canyon Road, aka 2N09 (34.26539, -116.92269).
2. Continue north on 2N09 for 3.9 miles and turn right at Holcomb Valley Rd, aka 3N16 heading east.

To camp site 1:
3. Continue on 3N16 for 2.4 miles and turn left on 3N32.
4. Continue on 3N32 for 0.2 mile and turn left on 3N19. Camp is along the 0.3 mile trail.

To sites 2 and 3
3. Continue on 3N16 for 0.4 mile and turn left at 3N07.
4. 3N07 heads north then turns east after a couple of spurs. Continue on 3N07 to camp several sites along the trail.
5. At the intersection of 3N07 and 3N07A spur is another camp site.

For the event, all vehicles going on the trails must have at minimum two frame-mounted recovery points - one on the front and one in the back (a trailer hitch is a suitable substitute). Running boards will sustain damage, removal before the trail ride is higly recommended to avoid damage to rocker panels. Rock sliders and skid plates are highly recommended.

Friday 6/23:
9:30 am - Rendezvous at Polique Canyon Rd (34.26539, -116.92269) and N. Shore Dr. (CA-38) and trailer to camp. It is recommended that trailers arrive on Friday if you want to be guided to camp. Any trailer arriving Saturday will need to come to camp (see locations above).

We'll run at least one of these trails and hopefully all: Gold Mountain, Little John Bull East, and John Bull. For these runs, rock sliders are required or will most definitely incur body damage, rear locker is recommended. For Gold Mountain and Little John Bull East, must have at least one of these combinations: 2 doors, short wheelbase rigs, 31" tires minimum; 4 doors, short wheelbase, 33" minimum; long wheelbase 35" minimum. Smaller and less-equipped vehicles can attempt to traverse the trails but will likely incur body and/or mechanical damage. REPEAT: frame mounted recovery points are required.

Saturday 6/24:
9:30 am - Rendevouz with Saturday arrivals at Fawnskin Fire Station. Air down and join up with those from camp.
From camp: Delamar Mountain Rd West (3N12) to Rim of the World Dr West (3N14) and hold to join up with Saturday arrivals.
This is a slider-less run but the underside will feel a bit naked at times. Scratches and dents on rocker and quarter panels are possible. The run will consist of Snow Slide Rd West (N13) with optional out-and-back Butler Peak Rd (2N13C), then to Forest Rte 2N54 West which connects to Green Valley where those joining for a day run can get back on pavement and head home. Remainder can continue to Crab Flats Rd (3N16) West, North, then East. There is an optional, technical Holcomb Creek 4X4 Trail 3N93 East on the way back to camp. Those who stayed to this point can get back to highway CA-38 via Polique Canyon Rd.

Sunday 6/25:
Open. We can explore the surrounding trails, scout the Little Bear Spring area in preparation for the Adopt-A-Trail event in July. Stay an extra night. Or pack up and head home.

For those with GaiaGPS, these are the planned routes:
Technical and winchable route: GaiaGPS - Big Bear-a-thon Gold Mountain & John Bull - https://www.gaiagps.com/public/m1Duf4IcVgKwPRNAKaNOtkJo
Slider-less route: GaiaGPS - Big Bear-a-thon-Fawnskin to Snow Slide to Big Pine Flat - https://www.gaiagps.com/public/t0yetq1XIFxXRmsUDLeF82d4

As with any off-pavement travels, we will adapt to conditions as they develop. Above all, leave no rig behind and Crawl On!

I would like to do 6/23 but my tire size limits that!
You have rock sliders so you'll likely get through Gold Mountain and Little JB. As always, we will aim to run the trails suited for the least modified rigs.
The 200 with those sweet sweet Michelin Defenders
I had Defenders on my rig when it was in stock form and they got me through some difficult terrains. I'd say join us on 6/23 if you want as long as you have frame mounted tow hooks in front and back so we can give you a tug in low traction situations.

You have rock sliders so you'll likely get through Gold Mountain and Little JB. As always, we will aim to run the trails suited for the least modified rigs.

I had Defenders on my rig when it was in stock form and they got me through some difficult terrains. I'd say join us on 6/23 if you want as long as you have frame mounted tow hooks in front and back so we can give you a tug in low traction situations.
Ok I’m down! Let me see what time I have to drop my GF off at the airport, and I’ll update

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom