Bib light question (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am over here from the 45 forum. I’m digging into a new 1965 project. I thought it was interesting that my front bib lights have three wires coming from them. Also, the two contact points and the dual filament bulbs. I have not seen this before on my other mid-late 60s vintage.

I am looking for some advice on what year these belong to. Someone from the 45 forum mentioned that they are period correct for the 25s. Either a front bib light or possibly a rear tail/stop/turn lamp.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

IMG_8556.jpeg

IMG_8557.jpeg

IMG_8558.jpeg

IMG_8559.jpeg

Front and rear lights were the same on very early 40's, only the lenses differ (obviously). OE front turn signal housings had double contacts but only one wire coming out, the second is blank. The blue wire on your harness seems out of place period wise and I would guess was added later to make the front big lights also function as turn signals.

The early lights did have three wires. Tail lights used bullet connectors except for the ground. Lights used on the bib used connectors for a screw. These terminated at the strips on the inner fenders. For the bib they were turn signal and parking light on the 25s. The early 40s still had the three wires but these were only for parking lights. That ended with the start of the 70 model. 68/69 lens is amber not clear. Last time I checked the 68/69 were still available new for cheap. From the factory these were never used solely as turn signals. At least not in the US market.

Before I lost interest in the early cruisers ten years ago I added the third wire to new ones then added the aftermarket red lense for early tail lights. To my knowledge these were always made for dual element lamps. Just need to solder in the third wire. I have two 61 FJ40 bibs that have three wires. Never bothered to check my 64 production long wheel base pickup. With the correct lens just need to change the lens screws to a flat blade to look 100% correct for early cruisers from the front. Certainly easy than trying to restore a corroded and rusted housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom