BF Goodrich KO2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have you guys had much experience with these tires in wet, snow or icy climates? I had felt some sliding when turning when it gets a little wet outside. I am planning for a ski trip and wonder if I should be concerned with the traction of these tires in the snow or icy roads.

Mine are fine in the rain, slip as you would expect for a "soft core" MT.

They are not a snowflake tire and my winter performance with them has been mediocre at best.

Vehicle is a 4Runner 5th gen TE.

Reactions: r2m
Are you expecting to encounter hard freezing and solid ice, or just water and snow on the roads?

In the PNW, we rarely have ice on the roads and my 470 does just fine with LT rated KO2s. It's still an All Terrain and not a dedicated snow tire, and it doesn't move as much snow in the deep stuff compared to an MT or hybrid tire like a Duratrac, but at the right pressure they are fine. Short of running skinny rally snow spikes you're not driving fast in the snow anyway.

I’ve had several sets of KO2s, and never had an issue in the wet. If they are worn a bit, they were useless on ice, but that was in a 2WD truck, going up a steep hill in Big Bear.

I have them on my GX now and am hoping to try them up in Big Bear this weekend. First snow.

You should be fine, they can slip some but they've never stopped me in snow in the past. There are better snow tires out there, but you live in Central Texas so it's just something you have to combat the few times of year you encounter it.

There are two versions of the K02. One is mud and snow rated and has the three peak symbol. the other version does not

One day when it was raining lightly. I was coming out of a right trun then sped up to get on the ramp and that is when I felt a little drifting. Before the KO2, I was using Michelin Defender LTX amd never had this. The Michelin felt very confident driving in the wet, snow or even icy road.

I have the MT's and they're great for everything put ice.
I may turn to the BFG AT's next time around.

One day when it was raining lightly. I was coming out of a right trun then sped up to get on the ramp and that is when I felt a little drifting. Before the KO2, I was using Michelin Defender LTX amd never had this. The Michelin felt very confident driving in the wet, snow or even icy road.

Well yeah, of course a tire like the LTX is going to have more traction on pavement... That's what it's designed to do. The BFG KO2 is meant to excel offroad, at the expense of on-road grip. Drive the GX more like a truck and less like a car and you'll be fine.

All good today, but the roads weren't much of a test. A little icy, but nothing big. As the season goes on, I'll report back.
542494C2-8325-41C9-8B0B-49DE7C496A6B.jpeg

I have ran many sets of KOs and loved them. Not sure were Chuck lives but I have lived in the PNW my whole life and we do have a lot of ice on the roads. Lower your air pressure in the winter.
Do you run the All Terrains or Mud Terrains.
I usually run the M/T's and when we're up in South Lake Tahoe (every year) I have to give myself a lot of room on the ice for braking.
But I never bother to lower the air pressure.
So how low to lower pressure? I'm running LT285/75R17 BFG KO2 M/T with about 60 psi because of being an LT tire.
When I'm wheeling I'll lower pressure to about 10-15 psi.
But what do you do for icy roads?

I have ran many sets of KOs and loved them. Not sure were Chuck lives but I have lived in the PNW my whole life and we do have a lot of ice on the roads. Lower your air pressure in the winter.

I'm in SW WA near Portland, so the snow I encounter is between maybe 500 and 5000 feet elevation and either dry and fluffy, or wet and slushy. But rarely icy. And the KO2s do just fine in this type of snow. The rig will get sideways if I push it, and I occasionally do for fun, but it's a V8 AWD SUV and it's easy to control with throttle and steering.

Do you run the All Terrains or Mud Terrains.
I usually run the M/T's and when we're up in South Lake Tahoe (every year) I have to give myself a lot of room on the ice for braking.
But I never bother to lower the air pressure.
So how low to lower pressure? I'm running LT285/75R17 BFG KO2 M/T with about 60 psi because of being an LT tire.
When I'm wheeling I'll lower pressure to about 10-15 psi.
But what do you do for icy roads?

60 psi on what vehicle?

Okay all you wise crackers...
Maximum PSI for LT285/75R17 BFG KO2 M/T is 80 psi. Note this is an LT rated tire.
Go to this link and scroll down to LT285/75R17 BFG KO2 M/T: BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 Tire Pressure Chart - TirePsi.com
Yea, I had to do a double take when I first purchased these tires when looking up proper tire pressure.
At 60 psi, and 40,000 miles, with about half life tread, the tires are wearing very even and on the highway I'm getting about 15 mph as my rig sits now, roof top tent and all.
That's why I'm only running 60 psi.

Maximum PSI for LT285/75R17 BFG KO2 M/T...

I think everyone is talking past each other.

The OP was asking about the K02, and this whole thread is about the K02, which is an AT.

The KM2 is the BFG M/T and is an entirely different tire. Different tread pattern, different compound, different ratings, everything.

There is no such thing as a "KO2 MT"

My dyslexia sometimes kicks in.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom