Best to tow with - a 100 or a 200 series? What exactly *is* a Sequoia? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Threads
Hi all! -

So I have owned my FZJ80 since 2000, and I didn't have a boat then & liked trails (and didn't mind the work to keep on top of the use) - but the older I get the less I really USE the 80 and spend more time & will continue to boat more.

The boat is a 21' Wooldridge & weighs ~4250-4500#'s when loaded on trailer & with all the gear in it/tank of gas (77 gal tank, usually half full)

I don't mind the 80 for acceleration, but the lift & the solid FR axle, plus the 35" tires make for a less than perfect tow vehicle, and the trailer has mechanical / inertia brakes (no use/need for a in-cabin brake controller, unless you can retrofit electric brakes easily - and between the 35's and that brake style (tandem axle trailer), it would be more than the 80 can stop in a panic situation.
-------

So, all the above said - and enough of you having had a 100 before getting a 200, which would you rather tow with?

I would like to hear if one drivetrain is superior (and which part -motor, trans, ???) - or just exactly why you like one over the other.

Also, just where does the Sequoia fit in the lineup?
Is it a value towing gem (relatively cheap, lots available) or waste of money/mashup of parts?
Is it as reliable as a Landcruiser?

I do plan to keep whatever my purchase for as long as I've had my 80 (or longer) - so money up front isn't a big deal as long as it's smart money.

On the topic of smart money, has there been enough 200's sold for there to be much dealer support, or is it even a small struggle for any particular parts in your experience?
--(Might be a question either Dan or Onur would best field ???)

If I ditch the 80, then for versatility a OME lift & ~33" tires would be the max I go & then it sounds like Bilstein is the shock of choice - correct?

I would have a 30-35K budget (without getting a loan, why the word budget is there) plus if I was to sell the 80, then all 80 money would go to new Toyota. It seems like a 2008 & a few newer ones fall into the ~$32K asking range (Would fly anywhere to get one in the 48, but won't look at any in the salt belt, no matter the 'deal')

I would like it to have the rear diff locker as sometimes the "boat launch" is somewhere we can stab the boat in from a sandy bank, so especially coming out I'd like the locker & being able to control the transfer case like you can in a 80, if possible.

Thx to all who read all that, and any who can give advice/experience.

The 100 Series was/is a great rig, but the 200 will run circles around it while towing. The 5.7 produces 100+ hp and 90+ ft-lbs more than the 06/07 4.7. The 6 speed AB60F transmission is a heavier duty unit. The brakes are larger, and are easy to upgrade further. Since the 2007 and up Tundra is heavily based on the 200 Series, every Toyota dealer in the USA will be somewhat familiar with supplying parts and working on the chassis and some of the systems, even if they have never seen a 200.

The 2007 and up Sequoia is a Tundra SUV, so again plenty 200 DNA in there. It is a bit larger than the 200. Rather than a solid axle like the 200 and Tundra, It uses a independent rear suspension, which has a unique differential, for which no lockers currently exist. Like most Toyota trucks, it is proving to be a durable and capable vehicle.

The e-locker from a 100 can be used in the 200, similar to swapping the e-lockers into your 80. I'll be crossing that bridge with my 200, shortly.

If I missed anything, or need to elaborate on something, please ask.

Hello,
To me this is one of those situations where either the 100, 200, or the Sequoia arguments all can make sense for your application.
If not to be used off sealed pavement, the Sequoia makes a great deal of sense.
Truthfully, for under $20,000 you could find an excellent 100 that can easily pull your boat.
The 200 would be the ultimate choice, but finding a relatively low mileage 200 for under $35k ain't gonna be easy.

I would think OEM 200 parts availability will be fine, but I could only guess that aftermarket and used parts support will be a disaster owing to the LC200 being one of the slowest selling vehicles in the US whereas pre 9/11, 100's sold 10,000+ per annum.

My advice would be to pursue a LC200 provided you are ok with spending all of your stated budget as the 5.7 offers so much more power with little if any mileage penalty compared to the 100.
Otherwise, a 2003+ LC100 makes the most sense to me personally.
Best,
Jack

I tow a 4k lb - 26ft boat with my 2008 ...... Added rear airbags --- No issues at all .....

9c119dc4-5092-4f94-b375-353953c5c21d_zpsba09922c.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409578117.994919.jpg

I tow a Grady White 257 with twins. I estimate it's tipping 7500-8000lbs with trailer and fuel.
Power is not and issue but I'm very careful on brakes with that much weight behind me. I recently installed Brian Jowetts brake upgrade for piece of mind. I always shift into manual and try to keep the torque converter locked. Sweet spot is 60mph. I tow only 2-4 times a year.

The 1999 could not tow this boat. It would constantly hunt between 2 and 3 gear at 55mph looking for more power.

...via IH8MUD app

I have both a 100 and 200. Tow boats and trailers...back woods to high mtn passes. Nothing over 5000lb typically. Can't recall anything heavier but may have. Hands down the 200 handles like there is nothing behind it.... That being said the 100 does just fine. But the 200 is a whole other beast.

Excellent help guys - thank you all!
I expect I'll save yet for a few more months (maybe wait till just after Christmas, when sales are slower due to post Christmas sprees people go on) --- and just do it right & get the 200.

I've had my 80 ~14 yrs (I'm 2nd owner), so it's not like I jump around every 3 years (sales tax is crazy if you change cars that often - I hate the idea I'm paying it on this after the 14 yr reprieve!).

And as stated, it would be taken off-pavement should the 80 be sold (more than likely will sell - don't need 2 LC's) - so with all that in mind it's a 200 for me as soon as the right one pops up & I'm covered out of pocket.

I'd seen how the Sequoia got a bigger motor in '08, and the shifter(maybe trans too?) had changed from column to tunnel at same time, so I was wondering if it had any of the Landcruiser DNA trickled into it.

And especially Brian, I bet the braking upgrade you have I'll search & PM you about if questions - that would be my 1st thing to monkey with, that would at least get me towing right away - then worry about some more aggressive tires, maybe a small lift - once sliders are on.

That said, I'll be lurking here for the next short while before I pull the trigger on one - there are 2 in Seattle right now (both black, still high for my budget - but exactly where I could be in 4-6 extra months saved) - so I'll be asking the dumb questions & plain reading the forum.

go with the 200, my 2 cents!

I had an '08 Sequoia 5.7 before getting the 200. I really liked it and had no issues. Did great towing. 200 is miles above it as far as ride quality, fit and finish though. Wife liked how big it was and is compared to 200. You can swim in back seats.

...via IH8MUD app
'13 LC & '14 4R Trail

Linus, I went from an 80 to the 200 several months ago. I test drove a 100 and a 200, regarding the 200, what a motor! In the end, like you and your 80, I'll keep it for a decade at least, so the choice was the 200 (34k 2009). The 100's are getting old (relatively), and the 200's are becoming more available on the used market in your price range.

Good luck on your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom