Best source fj60 smog pump in July 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

t-o

Threads
Hey folks,
I have a click click clicking from the air pump on my 1984 FJ60. By hand with the belt off smog pump spins freely, but clicks a couple times each revolution, both clockwise and counterclockwise. WIth engine on there has also been a clicking noise at idle, and on occasion worse noises (belt squeal and grinding). I've got everything apart now to replace radiator and water pump; so can spin the PS pump, alternator and AC which seem OK without odd noises like the smog pump.

So I am searching for a replacement pump, and digging backwards using the search function for smog pump or air pump reveals a few options:
1. OEM discontinued, some pricing lingers >$1k, i have not checked on availability.
2. Delete pulley kit by TLC Performance for $110 + misc parts $100+/- (I don't want to delete yet)
3. Gut the housing (I don't want to do this yet)
4. City Racer pump was recommended in 2017; I emailed them, not appearing anymore on their website
5. NAPA pump was recommended, item no longer stocked but they will send your core out for a rebuild for $225, 2-3weeks.
6. Cruiserparts used from $75-$200, in stock
7. Cruiserparts remanufactured $350, in stock
8. Cardone - The local chain stores stock the remanufactured Cardone, which there seem to be a lot of negative reviews about these on this forum. Summit Racing $135 (one-month ship time), AdvanceAuto shows it for $220 but actually not available. ALine has one for $195 i can get next day.

I would like to keep the pump and air system for the time being.
Is my best option to wait 2-3wks for NAPA to rebuild it?
If I get antsy and want it quicker, does anyone have experience to recommend the Cruiserparts remanufactured option as different and better than the cheaper Cardone?

Thanks! Tim

I know many others have had bad experiences with the Cardone, and mine was actually a little bit of a PITA to install (b/c it was about 1/16" wide and had to be filed down), but it has worked fine for 5 years now. If your PS pump is not leaking down onto it, it will last longer.

I’ve heard good things about these guys.

Rebuilding Factory: Your Part, Rebuilt, Fast!

I’ll be using them to rebuild mine. Recently pulled mine and installed the pulley. Immediate increase in mileage and less noise!

One vane was toast and the bearing on its way out.

Their website looks really straightforward... let us know how it works out. I kept my old OEM pump hoping to get it rebuilt someday.

I’ve heard good things about these guys.

Rebuilding Factory: Your Part, Rebuilt, Fast!

I’ll be using them to rebuild mine. Recently pulled mine and installed the pulley. Immediate increase in mileage and less noise!

One vane was toast and the bearing on its way out.
A current member has recommended that company in the past. And he said they are good company.
He has had his done and he likes the work they have done.

I've used the Cardone ones before. In my experience, they wear out quickly, but since they have a lifetime warranty, I just swapped it out right before emissions inspection every other year (when I lived in Arizona). Takes about 30 min.

Now that the truck is titled in Montana, I don't have to do emissions any more so I don't worry about it :D

Tim I got your email. Sorry I've busy. Since there's thread I'll respond here.
I don't have the pump ins stock very often anymore since it's getting hard to find cores. However, I do have one in the pipeline that should be ready in 1 to 2 weeks.
Options are indeed limited. I posted this review of the Cardone pump in the 40 Series forum back in 2014. I suppose it can be made to work, but it's re-purposed Ford pump and the unit I got was poor quality.
I've also contacted the Rebuilding Factory, and didn't get a good vibe from them. They put up a good ad, but when you talk to them, it was like "send me your pump and I'll tell you how much it costs after we take it apart". No thank you. I've seen that trick before.

Thank you everyone for replies, I'll update with anything that seems new info.

Thanks Racer, your thread didn't come up in my earlier search, good info interesting pics. I sent you a message about the pump you're offering.

The pump is pretty straightforward to rebuild, just some small bearings and the carbon vanes. Unfortunate I’ve heard that the carbon vanes are not available. If it was me, and I had the option, I’d replace it with a pulley.

I got antsy so I went with the Cardone. It spins and pushes air. Looks interesting, I hope it fits and lasts a while!

I haven't pulled the stock one from my truck yet, if i remember later during the swap I'll take a side by side photo.

image1.JPG

That doesn't look like the Toyota case. I'm not sure what the Ford pump looks like but here's the Cardone I have that's waiting to be installed.

image.jpg

Did the swap today.

On this Cardone I had same issue as DXFR and needed to file about 1/16" off and round some edges of the sleeve so it would fit in the bracket for the long pivot bolt. I also needed to tap the top hole, it was jacked and I couldn't get a bolt to thread in. Other stuff seemed in the right place. If I can ever finish my radiator project and get this thing running I will give any other impressions.

Here's side by side picks. Everything you see on the cardone (e.g. Blue tube) came with it, including the handy instruction sheet that said "hey it looks different but it works".

IMG_8462.JPG
IMG_8463.JPG
IMG_8464.JPG

I'll buy the greasy one :):D

Resurrecting this thread to followup and say that the brown bear is running again this weekend. The Cardone pump appears to be holding up. No crazy noises after an hour run time, 5 road miles. Ha! Off to a good start.

Is there much if any difference between the 60 and 62 air pump? I have a 62 and it seems like the bearings must be worn. At low RPM it wiggles quite a bit, once up to higher RPMs it seems to smooth itself out. But not perfect.

Whats the team think?

Seems like buying parts for a rebuild is tough, unless someone has better ideas.

Thanks

Did the swap today.

On this Cardone I had same issue as DXFR and needed to file about 1/16" off and round some edges of the sleeve so it would fit in the bracket for the long pivot bolt. I also needed to tap the top hole, it was jacked and I couldn't get a bolt to thread in. Other stuff seemed in the right place. If I can ever finish my radiator project and get this thing running I will give any other impressions.

Here's side by side picks. Everything you see on the cardone (e.g. Blue tube) came with it, including the handy instruction sheet that said "hey it looks different but it works".

View attachment 1761085 View attachment 1761086 View attachment 1761087

looking at the pics, make sure your PS pump is not leaking, a PS pump leak will kill the smog pump. or atleast it kills the OEM ones

looking at the pics, make sure your PS pump is not leaking, a PS pump leak will kill the smog pump. or atleast it kills the OEM ones
It’ll kill a lot of things if it goes long enough... ask me how I know....

Thanks guys! I’ve used a few tanks of gas for commuting and Christmas travel, and I have been watching the PS pump after tightening a hose fitting with minor but obvious fluid leak. The pics told a good story, that long term that little leak created quite a mess on the old air pump. It’ll be good to keep an eye on it.

So far all good with Cardone air pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom