Best source fj60 smog pump in July 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice clean engine compartment! Hard to tell from video, but it does look to vibrate. If with engine off you can wobble the pulley then that’s not good, you are probably correct about bearings. Better inspection would be to pull the belt off, the pulley should not wobble or have any looseness, and also if you spin the pulley there shouldnt be any clicking or loose pebble sounds from inside (shattered vanes). Mine had this latter problem.

Is there much if any difference between the 60 and 62 air pump? I have a 62 and it seems like the bearings must be worn. At low RPM it wiggles quite a bit, once up to higher RPMs it seems to smooth itself out. But not perfect.

Whats the team think?

Seems like buying parts for a rebuild is tough, unless someone has better ideas.

Thanks

Hi, I'd plan on replacing it soon before it locks up and your cruiser overheats. Mike

Thanks for the feedback @t-o and @Michael Hanson . I wonder if there are rebuild kits for the air pump on an FJ62 ( is this different from a FJ60?).

I haven't found any rebuild kits available.

Thanks for the feedback @t-o and @Michael Hanson . I wonder if there are rebuild kits for the air pump on an FJ62 ( is this different from a FJ60?).

I haven't found any rebuild kits available.
There are no rebuild kits available for those things. The carbon veins are damn near impossible to procure making a rebuild kit useless. As has been mentioned here before the company that makes the veins would require you to purchase thousands of them in bulk for cost effectiveness. A1 Cardon does a pretty good job with rebuilds... for the most part... those are available from oreilly’s for around $250. Just put one in my truck.

Is there much if any difference between the 60 and
Is there much if any difference between the 60 and 62 air pump? I have a 62 and it seems like the bearings must be worn. At low RPM it wiggles quite a bit, once up to higher RPMs it seems to smooth itself out. But not perfect.

Whats the team think?

Seems like buying parts for a rebuild is tough, unless someone has better ideas.

Thanks

mines doing the same thing on my ‘87 fj60. Only worse. At idle, mine would actually clunk, sounding like an engine knock. At times louder than others. I was convinced my engine was toast. I’ll probably go with the Cardone if I can’t rebuild mine with new bearings. I’m not so concerned about the function (Iowa has no inspection) basically using it as an idle pulley. When I went to take it off, one of the large hoses was unhooked but it ran fine. Hoping to restore to that state
62 air pump? I have a 62 and it seems like the bearings must be worn. At low RPM it wiggles quite a bit, once up to higher RPMs it seems to smooth itself out. But not perfect.

Whats the team think?

Thanks

Bumping this thread to see if there are any current alternatives to the Cardone option. rebuildingfactory.com seems to be a dead link.

Thanks in advance.

BZ Rebuilders in Canoga Park. They do SORs rebuilds. Rebuilding Factory went belly up for a reason.

Resurrecting this thread to followup and say that the brown bear is running again this weekend. The Cardone pump appears to be holding up. No crazy noises after an hour run time, 5 road miles. Ha! Off to a good start.
Cool that folks are finding this thread useful. Here's an update:
Since my Cardone airpump install into my 84 fj60 in 2018 December, all is still functioning well through 2023 July. Roughly 5 years and 4,000 miles...not many miles, but they've been good ones!

IMG_8819.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom