Best sounding aftermarket muffler... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know it... I'm full of questions... I know that the 3.0 I6 in the Supra sounds sweet, no matter what you put on it (as long as a resonated tip is no where near that thing, but resonated tips suck anyway), and that my 4runner's 3.4 sounds great w/ a 40 Series Delta Flow Flowmaster, but I'm curious to hear (both literally and opinion) what you guys think sounds best on our 80 series motors. I'm leaning towards the 50 seris DeltaFlow, but I'm open to opinions. The smaller size and rust proofing of that particular series appeals to me. I'm probably going to run a mandrel-bent (perks of having a race team) 2.5" system from the cat-back. So, have at it, and let's hear (no pun, oh wait.. yes.. pun intended) what you've got!

J

In the Old SOR archives (at the top header), there are recordings of the flowmaster muffs on an 80.

Why not 3" pipe to breathe better with the supercharger?

Joe

3" is too large to retain any type of scavenging effect. It it were a turbo, then I'd go w/ 3", but only after I saw some dyno charts. I'm interested in torque, and not so much hp. Typically w/ S/C systems, torque increases as rpm's increase, and so does hp. Reducing backpressure is usually desirable w/ any kind of forced induction, but it's been proven (and my experience) that too large of an exhaust, can HURT torque figures down low. And down low is where I'm interested. Sure, it's nice to have big hp at high rpm for sand running, but we don't get much sand here in NC, except at the beach.

The best sounding muffler is one that I can't hear 8) I like to hear the stero not the motor :D. You can download some great muffler sounds off the internet and burn them to CD and gam them in your CD :D If you can't tell I don't like exhaust noise :D
kurt
But if you have a extra Supra,'87 turbo, that you don't want. Send it my way.

40 Series Delta Flow Flowmaster,
50 seris DeltaFlow,
What type of Mufflers are these?

If it has a Turbo Charger, There is no need for a Muffler, As the Turbo Charger its self is an excellent Silencer. :) So to get a good sound out of a Turbo Charged Engine is a Reflective type(Commonly refered to as a Turbo Muffler and is also the most common type of Muffler used on Cars).

If it dose'nt have a Turbo Charger, Fit a Straight Through(With out Packing) type Muffler as close to engine as possible, If it is still too loud fit another Stright Through Muffler, But with Packing(Most use Steel Wool and some use Fibre Glass).

Wolfpack,
Search the SOR archive for a post by Keep on mufflers. He added a muffler that makes that inline 6 sound tough and he addd a sound file of some sort to prove it. I wheeled with him for a few days this past spring and it really was a sweet sounding exhaust. And it was a fraction the cost of a Borla
CJ

What diameter is the stock exhaust pipe?

I presume by looking that if one was to install a Flowmaster or similar the a straight in/out as opposed to offset in/out would work best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom