Best Rear Step Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.marklowimagery.com
I am looking to replace my stock rear bumper and wonder which of three in question would best for my application. I do want to have a 2" receiver hitch as part of the bumper so I can do away withthe low hanging unit on there now. I have looked at the Kaymar rear step bumper with tire mount and jerry can, and I have seen Slee's rear bumper. There is one more custom built by a guy named Mike that I found through the ih8mud site. One that I am especially concerned about is how well the tire latch holds and not rattle. I hate things that rattle unless they are supposed to, and I still look for a way to prevent it.

I loke the Diamond plate step on the Kaymar and it has a 2" receiver. I do have another question though, on my stock bumper, and on the Kaymar and Slee's, there are four bolt holes. What are they for?
Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

The holes are for a pintle hitch.

The "pintle hitch" is the type of hitch used on army truck that looks like a hook & loop instead of a ball.

I had to ask that a few weeks ago.

Cool... I have been thinking about picking up an old Military trailer and using it behind my wagon. I figure it would be able to go just about anywhere my Cruiser does. I guess it still would have to be registered for highway use... I don't know if that would be a problem but it should'nt be. Haven't seen many people using these type trailers. Some can be made into a small camper or sleeper with a tent installed...

Thanks though for telling me what the holes are for. Where do you get a Pintle hitch?

The theme of "which rear bumper" has been gone over many times before on this list, and a little time searching through previous threads will reward you with lots of opinions.

In brief, both Slee's and the Kaymar are excellent bumpers, though Christo's is much better suited for technical wheeling, rock climbing, etc. (beefier, better clearance, departure angle, etc.), while the Kaymar is better for expedition type wheeling (dual pivots for extra attachments, extra lights in the bumper, integrated hitch, etc.).

In the case of the Kaymar, you must mount (drill and tap) the clamp for the rear tire carrier latch yourself, so whether or not it rattles depends upon how good a job you do of it.

Good luck with it!

Cheers, R -

Yeah, but that Mike with the custom bumper is a frickin wingnut. Avoid him at all costs. ;) :flipoff2:

How often do you really need the hitch? What are you going to tow. I ask, because maybe you could get buy with a pintle or something lighter. Or, if only occassional, maybe just throw on the hitch you have when you need it.

Overall, the slee bumper rules. That thing is sweet. I've spent buttloads of time and money on my custom and it's still not finished. I should have just gotten on the phone with Christo and got his.

I like Christo's. NO rattle at all. I just put the Valley hitch on when towing, leave it till I go wheeling, then take it off. You just need longer bolts for the hitch to get enough threads into the captured nuts. If it is just for a bike rack, or something like that, Christo has a 2" receiver that bolts into the pintle hitch holes. However it is not for heavy towing.
Sean

Cristo's bumper I know is pretty tough and the latch is strong too. I probably could get by with the light 2" hitch. Mostly I haul a Grizley 4 wheeler and othrt supplies and my trailer is a single axle utility. I am not so worried about having the maximum amount of angle clearance, because anything would be better than stock setup. Tha Kaymar looks to have a fairly good amount of clearance although not as much as Slee's. Does Slee's bumper have enough top area on it to be used as a step for easier roof rack access?

Yes, ample step area with the tire carrier open. You may want to put some of that tread stuff on top for when it's wet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom