Best location for aftermarket fuel filter/water separator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bypassed and removed my factory sedimenter on the frame rail due to rust and installation of new fuel lines. I want to install an aftermarket water seperator. I mounted one on my drivers side inner fender and ran the fuel line from the hard line from the tank to the inlet of the filter unit, and the outlet to the lift pump. I was having issues under heavy load where the engine would begin to stubble as it was starving for fuel or sucking air. After making certain NO air was getting in anywhere, I was still having the issue and removed the filter unit. I may try a larger unit will a higher micron filter to promote a better flow...not sure yet.

I don't want to have an electric pump to "push" fuel through the filter instead of having the lift pump pull through. I would like to keep everything stock if I can with the exception of this water seperator/filter prior to the lift pump. I have an old Racor 225 unit that I may try next.

I`ve seen it done on the firewall, passenger side before. might have to relocate a few smaller nick nacks and do dads.

Here is how I mounted mine

Doug

343.jpg

Thanks for the pic! And whats that you have next to it? to the right...

So is it acceptable to mount a water seperator/filter ahead of the lift pump (3B) and have the lift pump pull through it? Because I really don't want to mess with the hard line/banjo fittings that are post lift pump if it were more desireable to have the lift pump "pushing" through the filter.

WOW nice to see corrosion free cruiser. Mine is frozen and engine was running rough the other day was not sure if it was linked. I would like to see a heater option in the water seperator bowl as well as a electric valve that opens the bowl and dumps the water.

So is it acceptable to mount a water seperator/filter ahead of the lift pump (3B) and have the lift pump pull through it?

That's how it's set-up on the 13B-T. The fuel sedimenter is on the right side of the engine bay above the fender. It's easy to service at that location. Where doug installed it on the firewall should work fine, or where he has the washer tank.

I added one of these inline filters on the output of the sedimenter in the fuel line to the lift pump. Wix 33972, NAPA 3972

It's mounted where I can see the condition of the fuel.

Last edited:
. I would like to see a heater option in the water seperator bowl as well as a electric valve that opens the bowl and dumps the water.

Toyota expected they would be serviced regularly, especially in the fall before freezing temperatures occur, so they didn't include those expensive options. I've never had any need for such on my truck and I operate to thirty below every winter.

Thanks for the pic! And whats that you have next to it? to the right...

The parts to the right of the fuel filter is the oil filter and related plumbing. I installed an Isuzu 4BD2 diesel and the oil filter was just above the front drive shaft and too close. You can see the Isuzu fuel fiter to the right of the oil filter assy.

No problem with the fuel filter in front of the lift pump. On mine, the racor is first with a 10 micron filter, than the stock Isuzu spin on 2-4 micron.

Has worked well for over 25K miles on my swap.

Doug

004-resized.jpg

I have my Racor under hood bolted to inside fender on my 42, Racor have a water separator/filter and water separator / filter/ heater.
Next purchase I will get the heater option. They have an excellent product and a piece of cake to see how much water is in the bowl at a glance.
The original water separator that was mounted to the frame met a Rock on a trail in the smokey Mountains (gmstr)
hence the relocation of underhood and the ease of drainage.
Cheers

Last edited:
I did not catch what vehicle you were working on, but someone put a post up a while back of using a Racor 120m in place of the OEM sedimenter on his BJ42. He did it in the same location as the stock one, even using the same mounting bracket. I too am in need of replacing my stock one, so that may be the way I go, though I do not need to have yet another filter to deal with.

:cheers:

What type of fittings did you use to connect up the Racor to the fuel lines?

Mine mounted on a 2H.. bolted to Intake Manifold at rear, near firewall.

LUa14mT.jpg

Last edited:
Obviously the stock sedimenter is between the tank and lift pump, but it's at the lowest point. I have a racor on the drivers side fender well, and it seems to restrict fuel flow, but it might be my imagination. Nonetheless the pump has to pull it up through the filter at least 18" above the pump - is this a problem or not? I know I have air leaking in somewhere pre-filter, so I was trying to figure out if filter location was ok or it was just the air leak.

Obviously the stock sedimenter is between the tank and lift pump, but it's at the lowest point. ...

Not necessarily. On the BJ-74 it's located in the engine bay next to the PS fluid reservoir, at the same level as the fuel filter, ie. the highest point of the fuel circuit.

Your problem is most likely an air leak. The clear bowl on the Racor is notorious for this. Next likely is the fuel hose connection at the tank.

Sorry to bump and old thread, but has anyone put an aftermarket filter on a 3bii? I have a LHD BJ73 and am running out of ideas on where to fit a filter. I want to setup a Racor 400 series before the factory filter as a fuel/water separator (I have a biodiesel station next to my house and want to take advantage of that). The only place I can find space though is down on the frame. There are two soft lines there across from the back of the transfer case (6 & 7 in the diagram).

Inkedac7a149474ccef747171e6cb4af31ebc.jpg

I was thinking of building a plate like @jim land but was worried about a rock strike on the plastic bowl. I might be over thinking that.
1638573636941.jpeg

Anyway, I would love alternative options. I've seen them for the 3b, 2h, etc. but not for the 3bii with its weird firewall mounted factory filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom