Best local place for 33" tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Max.Powerzz

Cruisers and Art!
Threads
So, I'm finally taking the plunge and buying some tires, I had one go out on me and figure I may as well upgrade now. What's the best place to get 33x12.50x15's? I tried Costco but they refuse to install bigger tires, they will only go 28's! I tried NTB but they want $180 each installed, which isn't too bad but isn't great.

I really want to buy new tires because I haven't had much luck with used lately...

What brand are you getting? I would buy it online either tirerack.com, tires.com or 4wheelparts.com then find someone local to install them. Usually Tirerack has a list of local installers and can arrange shipping to the one of yor choice. I get all my tires from 4wheel Parts after shopping around online and having them beat the price of their competitors over the phone. Then i use of of Tirerack's installers.

$$$ Local install is the killer on this deal. It can be as much as $25 PER tire.

When it comes to wheels and tires, shop the bottom line as in your total cost, not just the price per tire.

In fact, the local shops charge so much that I used to buy tires WITH WHEELS for not much more from National Tire Wholesalers in Wheeling WV (ask for Karl). If you want a super swamper, this is the place to go. Cheap shipping from WV too.

Locally, you can't beat Costco. They can special order any size of BFG MT's and have a very cheap mounting and balance fee. I used to order tires from National and have Costco install them, but they no longer mount tires that you don't buy from them.

-Stumbaugh

The other option for mounting/balancing tires you don't buy from them is Walmart. Since I don't like them driving my junk, I usually bring the wheels and tires in my Taco to them and roll em out to the installer. Its only like $7/tire IIRC to mount balance there.

The Schmukster in PA is supposed to have a very good set of 5 33s for less than $200.

The other option for mounting/balancing tires you don't buy from them is Walmart. Since I don't like them driving my junk, I usually bring the wheels and tires in my Taco to them and roll em out to the installer. Its only like $7/tire IIRC to mount balance there.

That's even better than Costco! But, in NOVA the Walmart's don't sell tires...

$$$ Local install is the killer on this deal. It can be as much as $25 PER tire.

When it comes to wheels and tires, shop the bottom line as in your total cost, not just the price per tire.

In fact, the local shops charge so much that I used to buy tires WITH WHEELS for not much more from National Tire Wholesalers in Wheeling WV (ask for Karl). If you want a super swamper, this is the place to go. Cheap shipping from WV too.

Locally, you can't beat Costco. They can special order any size of BFG MT's and have a very cheap mounting and balance fee. I used to order tires from National and have Costco install them, but they no longer mount tires that you don't buy from them.

-Stumbaugh

Yeah, local places are definitely killer on install. NTB wanted $39 per tire for installation!! That included their lifetime mounting and balancing, but stil....

I'd love to do Costco, they are the cheapest by far. But they have a new policy that they will not mount anything larger (or smaller) than factory specs. They would only do a 28" tire for me.

Oh well, still looking.

try kelly truck tire on rt 40 they a big truck company. they dont care for swampers . But they can get them. Go to supper swampers website click on the wholesale locater . Find a warehouse near you call them. Tell them you intrested in what ever model tire you like. then ask them for part number and a installer localy. Call the local installer tell them the part number and there warehouse has them in stock. And ask for the price.

About six months ago I got a set of 33x10.50's for my 78 FJ40 they asked no questions.

Tell them it's for your 1980 K15 Chevy Pickup (Heavy Half Ton) - same bolt pattern and they run a tall tire stock.

Also, like Dan said, Bring the tires in loose.

I was going to get my Cooper Discoverer STTs from Weber Tire in Fairfax City, but ended up getting Revos from a local Firestone Dealer. Take your wheels loose into Costco would be a good idea too.

Good luck!

Its a haul, but Winchester's walmart sells tires...

What kind of tires do you want?

In my experince, Weber Tire is B.O.H.I.C.A.

Bend Over, here it comes again...

They are all about making money.

I'd drive to Winchester Walfart before going there again.

Sam's Club and BJ's also sell tires, maybe they would mount them up for you?

In my experince, Weber Tire is B.O.H.I.C.A.

Bend Over, here it comes again...

They are all about making money.

The price quote I recently received for a mounted/balanced set of Cooper STTs from Weber Tire was competitive for the Metro DC area. The STTs were in stock at Weber, I had to wait a few days for the Revos @ Firestone. Weber Tire appears to cater to commercial and industrial tire folk as oppose to the soccer mom set. I usually see dump trucks getting serviced there when I pass by there. As for B.O.H.I.C.A, I guess they needed to use synthetic? :confused:

Craven Tire in Merrifield has treated me well recently.
:cheers:

you guys might laugh at this the last time i was at wall mart tire lube express waiting for my wife to get done shopping they had some great deals on mt tires CHEAP UP TO 36 INCH TIRES.YOU MAY HAVE TO ORDER IN ADVANCE but it would be worth the wait.one other thing if you put oversize tires on they dont like it.just tell them to do it anyway or i will buy the tires and take them elsewhere and have them put on:beer:

Weber Tire appears to cater to commercial and industrial tire folk as oppose to the soccer mom set.

No offense man, but your FJ80 is the epitome of the soccer mom car here in NOVA...:rolleyes:

All of my experinces at Webber Tire came from taking my one ton Chevy and several one ton and 3/4 ton Dodge diesel work trucks that i've had over the years (I used to live walking distance from there so it was the easiest place to go). Most of these trucks had 16.5" inch rims that are PITA to get tires on. My friend's Josh and Todd run companies with fleets of trucks, Josh only has a few but Todd has about 60. Both told me to go elsewhere and both said to go to Alban tire in Springfield (also expensive, but good service). I once paid $60 there to have a flat tire fixed. That's robbery. They also charged me $260 for a 35" inch BFG MT that I could have bought elsewhere at the time for $150 (I had to get the truck back on the road). They also said the tire could not have been repaired and I was able to get it fixed later :rolleyes: they might do great work, but they sure charge a lot for it.

Maybe they have lowered their prices since or they have gotten wise and started catering to soccer mom cars. I guess places like that see a Heavy Duty truck and think they can overcharge? All of what I had done was a long, long time ago. They could have gotten a lot better since.

On a lighter note, the guys at Craven's once went WAAAAAAY out their way to get a set of 36" inch Swamper TSL/SX's mounted for me and they did a great job for a reasonable price. I go there for everything I can't get at Costco or from Wisam at the Vienna Mobil. If I am going to pay top dollar for tire work, I'll go there where they have good service.

-Stumbaugh

Last edited:
No offense man, but your FJ80 is the epitome of the soccer mom car here in NOVA...:rolleyes:
-Stumbaugh

No offense taken, It 's still the family ride, though the kid does not play soccer.. We spend more time on off-ramps than off-road. I sure wish I had time to wheel.
Well, hence why I went to a Firestone dealer... and not Weber, or Alban, or even Rosslyn Tire. Not like the Cooper STTs I was eyeing were made for the beltway.
I told the sales guy @ Weber I just got off the internet and had a few weeks left to choose. He had no room to work me over like most 'soccer' dad's. I wouldn't say anything has gotten much better there.

The tire service I received @ Craven's was tops for the area.

Wisam still at the Vienna Mobil, we know him from his days @ Fairfax City..
We'll have to stop by the Mobil and top off the soccer mom mobile!:cheers:

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom