best lift....? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll be lifting my 77 FJ in a couple weeks. Because their are so many lifts and options out there I'd like to hear some reviews from people who have lifted their rigs. Right now my first pick is TPI's Smokey Mountain however I just stumbled on a kit from Ironman in Australia on ebay. I've heard that Old Man Emu is the best however I'm not made of money, so unfortunately they're not contenders.

If you know of lifts I've not mentioned feel free to comment on them as well, I'm open to all suggestions.

I'll be using my rig as a daily driver, commuting in Seattle so highway driving is fairly important. More importantly I don't want to be chasing my tail with some POS lift that fails everytime I get on the trails.

I would like to hear cons as well as pros. Thanks everyone for your help.

Mike

What size lift do you want? I run a pinnacle 4.5 inch lift. It was a little stiff, but removing the second leaf helped out. Now it flexes better too. I had to use 6 degree shims with my lift. I can run 35's with no rubbing. I bought the lift from JT Outfitters. They had a complete lift for a reasonable price.

I run Man-A-Fre and love them, but like everyone else, I am going to spring ot over soon, I will recommend Skyjacker because everyone seems to like them.

well if money is tight and ya have the know how forget the lifts on the market, do yerself a soa n put yer cash elswhere in yer rig. mopar perches bout 12.00 a pair brake lines about the same, biggest cost is cross over steering. you can buy i beefy unit from procomp for about 200.00 bones or build your own for about 100.00 bucks. ride is great and big rubber is no problem. and everything you need to know about doing it is in the tech site here. done a few and have no complaints drive my 72 anywhere n back no problem.
wheelie

Mike: I have a a 4" Rancho lift that was on my cruiser when I bought it. Pretty stiff highway rider... :eek:

1980: how much did removing a leaf from your springs help? How did you go about doing it?

Here goes again: :D
4" Skyjacker System from 4wheelparts.com
Low price, good lift.
Stiff until break in, rides well afterwards.
Only mod necessary is extended rear brake line. Easy choice for me.

I went with BDS. I really like them and they flex fairly good right out of the box.

I'll second CruisinGA's Skyjacker vote.

I installed a 4" Skyjacker system on my '78 FJ40 this past December, and don't regret it at all.  As CruisinGA stated, you will also need to pick up the extended brake lines.  And, it would be my suggestion that you pick up the additional poly-urethane bushings (where shackles go through the frame), greasable shackles & leaf spring pins, HD steering stabalizer, and new U-bolt skid plates.  It will set up back a little more money (mostly for the U-bolt skid plates), but replacing it all while you have it ripped apart makes it very easy, and you won't have to think twice about worn components when it is all put back together.

EDIT: I ran around with my old leaf springs in the back of my 40 for a couple of months to help get the new leaf springs "loosened up," and they provided good winter traction weight. :p

I've had a 4" TPI lift on my 78 for about 6 month now, I like it
and its starting to soften up after some use. The TPI "kit" had everything needed except the extensions for the brake lines.

The spring packs that came with it had OME stamped on them and the shocks were Black Diamonds without the stickers ???
they usually go on sale in December for around $700.00

i second halo3 seconding cruisinGA.
the skyjacker 4 inch is a good ride once it breaks in.
i also went with the greasables yadda yadda like halo3.

I live in the Seattle area and have installed a Smokey Mountain 4" lift. I havn't had any problems, the ride is a little stiff but not bad. I don't have any complaint with the lift.

Anyone tried a Hell Creek suspension kit out of New Albany, Mississippi? They used to build for others under different names (I forgot who thought) but started selling the kits themselves under the Hell Creek name a while back. Its around $530 (+ $20 for Heckethorn nitro shocks).

Someone here was asking about them before but I never saw a verdict.

I'd say it depends on if you are a good hand with tools and shop equip.
I'm a welder fabricator by profession and with a total investment of less than $100 I did a spring-over-axle on my 74 FJ40. Granted, it took a lot of hours but it was well worth the wait. It rides like a cloud on old "saggy" stock springs.
I couldn't have done it without the knowledge shared right here on IH8MUD and their affiliates.
Keep up the good work.
I only hope I can repay the favor by helping someone else.

[quote author=Bama_B link=board=1;threadid=45;start=0#msg265 date=1057684343]
Anyone tried a Hell Creek suspension kit out of New Albany, Mississippi?  They used to build for others under different names (I forgot who thought) but started selling the kits themselves under the Hell Creek name a while back.  Its around $530 (+ $20 for Heckethorn nitro shocks).  

Someone here was asking about them before but I never saw a verdict.
[/quote]
Crap. Thats rough country under a new name. Thats about the worst lift you can buy. You can buy a skjjacker kit for just $100 that includes shocks with free shipping and you are getting one of if not the best SUA lift for FJ40's. (Other than Alcans or other high quality customs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom