Best hydro-assist for 80?O (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, hydro-assist on an 80 with high-steer.

Wanting a new pump and steering box too. Pump should be able to power hydro-boost brakes and/or a winch.

40" LTBs, Aussie Lockers both ends.

What do the pro's suggest?

Ok, hydro-assist on an 80 with high-steer.

Wanting a new pump and steering box too. Pump should be able to power hydro-boost brakes and/or a winch.

40" LTBs, Aussie Lockers both ends.

What do the pro's suggest?

I'm running stock pump, Steering box rebuild and tapped by WEST TEXAS OFFROAD (redneck ram package)one of the best service team I have worked with, 8" stroke 1.5" body ram from Trail Gear, added cooling reservoir. Best upgrade with respect to having 37+" tires.

Cool. Now to find a good replacement pump. Mine is worn out and I want one that can handle hydro-boost too. Maybe one from PSC? Who else makes PS pumps?

If you can fab a bracket to mount a chevy truck pump, I would do that. Then do this mod and you will be good to go.

powersteering

I see a lot of people posting about ram assist. Does it make a big difference in ease of use on the p/s? Also I figure once you get north of say something around 33 tires, the p/s is really getting a workout.

In my case I have a 5.7 Vortec and running stock GM p/s pump with yota OEM gear. 33 tires for now..maybe 35's later on.

Hydro assist turns your wheels when regular ps won't when flexed up on rocks, etc.

I'm very happy running one of PSC pumps ..

SP-1200X-sm_LRG-04.jpg

PSC Toyota " hi performance " pump .. running it in Tencha with 1.5" piston .. was pretty easy to me .. most dificult part was my failure part ... the pulley .. I ended with a small ( too small ) pulley .. I recomend order it with the pulley that you need ..

alki, you're running hi-steer?! I didn't know. post pics. hi-steer would make a 3-link alot easier that's for sure...

I've rebuilt 3FE pumps and it's pretty straight forward with the oem rebuild kit... I haven't touched my steering on my latest junk other than flushing it and I'm turning the 40's decently enough to keep postponing the hydro-assist project.... just rebuild the oem pump first.

You can always add more reservoir as well.... kinda what the mini-truck guys do...

Na, no high-steer yet. Getting together what I need to do so. And trying to decide on hydro assist or full hyrdo at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom