Best heated pressurized shower? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

Putting through a LC 200 build and wanted thoughts, suggestions on an outdoor overland heated and pressurized shower....

The build will have a Front Runner rack

Will need to cater for two adults and 2-3 young kids

On board compressor and inverter/double battery will probably be available

No one has replied, so...

While I haven’t done this, I’m sure you could use 4-8” black ABS pipe, capped on both ends, with appropriate fittings, to allow filling with water, pressurizing with air and attaching shower wand.

Black ABS will heat up well in the sun... water weighs 8lbs/gal... I no longer recall the formula to calculate weight of water in a cylinder, but you can find it online... or, some younger person will explain it.

For two adults and two kids, a 4” pipe, of whatever length, may not carry sufficient water... but you could mount dual ABS bazookas, one on each side of your rack.

That should start you on the right track.

I built a hot water heat exchanger system that works off the motor's hot water. The exchanger and pump are mounted in the engine bay with hoses running down to the front bumper area. You stick the cold water hose in whatever water source you have and the hot hose has a shower head with shut off mounted to it. My Wife can go through 3 to 4 gallons real quick, so be prepared.

Here's one before it was plumbed. Exchanger and pump behind it on the right. It works very well for a group of people, keep the motor running and supply the water...

IMG_2852.JPG

Road Shower is a commercially made unit of what @Solace in Solitude described. They have a three different sizes and just got bought out by Yakima. They say you can boil water and add that to supplement the solar side of the heated water. That could be a decent solution if you needed to have multiple people take a warm shower. Bought one during the Black Friday season but it’s been too cold on the east cost to do anything more than unbox it.

Talking to one of the guys at Slee a year and a half ago, I asked what their thought was on the heat exchangers. They felt Toyota did a great job with the cooling system and did not think it would be wise to alter it.

Zodi shower tank has been great for my needs. Heat water on your stove or set it near the camp fire. Works Great.
:beer:

They felt Toyota did a great job with the cooling system and did not think it would be wise to alter it.

Well, I'm way past not altering what Toyota did. :) Toyota did a great job on all the different systems, but even if we change tire size we mess with what the engineers did. I felt more than confident in tapping into the coolant line and adding the heat exchanger, but everybody has their own level of comfort with their decision to alter anything.

Im building one out of an old stainless steel fire suppression bottle. Add hot water and pump up with air to pressure. (tank rated to 300psi but just 100psi has miles of pressure out of the hose) Alternately you could park it next to a fire to heat

I have been dreaming of building one out of an old SST fire extinguisher that I picked up for cheap. Looks something like below and holds about 2.5 gallons. It can be pressurized, shoots water like crazy. I would just need to modify the fitting on the top with a shower nozzle. (I just got done typing this and see that Marn0 is thinking the same thing) I will be interested to see what you come up with.

1582332529281.png

I have made my hot shower via heat exchanger in the motor bay as suggested by Scrapdaddy .
works super well , easy no extra complicated stuff .
mine heats up 35 L of water in 6-8 min ,depending on starting temp.
that means aprox 40 C ,right for a shower .
ref not altering the cooling system , I take the hot water from the cooling system only if I open the internal heater , and open a electro valve so to have a flow from the reservoir of fresh water .
sounds complicate but in practice it's not .
hope that make sense to all of you .

IMG_6705.JPG
IMG_6714.JPG
IMG_6716.JPG
IMG_6719.JPG
IMG_6721.JPG
IMG_6705.JPG
IMG_6714.JPG
IMG_6716.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom