Best hard shell RTT for rainy conditions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

...... but would like to put one on my bj42.

I used my trusty Hannibal Impi on my LX without any problems ...

Impi.jpg

Been in snow, sleet, hail, rain, and high winds in the Mojave Desert in the GFC RTT and it's been solid.

Plus the direct mount options for various models is very handy.

CalderaBikePack-182.jpg

I've been using the Maggiolina Extreme for the last 3 years. Wind, Snow, Rain ....... it makes no difference.

Personally, I think most of the new hard shell tents are just a copy/version of what AutoHome has been doing very well for decades.

The things I like about it .............

1. Hand laid fiberglass, insulated upper/lower shell. From what I have seen all the other fiberglass shells are sprayed with a chopper gun, IMHO, not nearly as strong/rigid. Aluminum doesn't appear to be substantially lighter.

2. I like the hand crank internal lifting mechanism's .......... As a hunter, I can leave my rifle, handgun, things of value in the closed tent.
These items are much less prone to theft with the tent closed. "Most" thief's have no idea how to raise the tent and the crank is stowed in the truck.
A tent with gas struts can be unlatched/opened in seconds, leaving the contents vulnerable to theft. At the least, my sleeping bags are not cheap and one of the items I would certainly need most in the event of being stranded.

3. Gas struts tend to fail or weaken in low temps. Once my tent is cranked up, it is up.

4. Like mentioned earlier, the internal lifting mechanism is internal, making it somewhat immune to wet freezing conditions, making it problem free during the stowing stage.

5. In heavy wind, the canvas can be tensioned by simply cranking it up slightly. No noisy canvas!

Cons,

1. Don't lose the crank! :oops:

As always, your mileage will vary. :D

IMG_0346.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom