Best First Aid Kit for my LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not technically a 100 series question, so if you gotta move it, I'm fine with it.

I think I misplanned my FSA money and I have way too much that I'm about to lose in a month. I currently have a cheap Target brand first aid kit in my LX, work truck and wifes car. I'd like to get something for each that's much better and comprehensive.

What do you guys recommend? Right now I'm looking at the MyMedic and I'm leaning towards the basic MyFAK for me and maybe the Advanced MyFAK for my wife since she's a nurse pratitioner and in an emergency situation, could go a little further than a bandaid and aspirin.

Also, anything else that I can spend FSA dollars on in a month? Kids don't need braces yet and boobs don't qualify.

I don't have much experience with the advanced prep/first aid kits, but was reading through @LndXrsr's build thread last night and was impressed with the kit he put together over the summer

Check out Outter Limit Supply.

Travis has created quite the kit for our specific off-road/vehicle needs. Great mounting systems and top quality components.

For a budget option, consider one of the kits from Adventure Medical Kits.

I don't have much experience with the advanced prep/first aid kits, but was reading through @LndXrsr's build thread last night and was impressed with the kit he put together over the summer

Thanks. Outer Limit Supply is where I sourced my bag. Love that thing. Put my kit together over the course of a few years. I'm in the medical field and have wilderness medicine training, so I've built a setup that suits me both in the truck and while out in the backcountry. The larger bag has a smaller nested one form Adventure Medical Kits with a fair amount of redundancy that I take in my hiking pack.

The best medical kit, is one you know how to use and have on you. It's useless if you're out exploring and it's at home. Same if you open it up and have no idea what to do with a tourniquet, combat gauze, etc. I'd highly recommend some basic first aid and/or wilderness first aid training in addition to any kit.

Outer Limit Supply's full kit can be purchased with FSA/HSA money. You can also stock up on many home med supplies. When I had an FSA, I'd go stock up on contact solution for the next year. Check you FSA's website, there's a lot more common household items that qualify than you'd think.

Happy to talk details of my setup with anyone who's interested:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5333.jpg

gQPNur%iTsamYSweoLfBnQ_thumb_5331.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5332.jpg

Outer limits supply!
Have one on the buggy, and about to add one to the 4runner and FJ.
Great product and also supporter of cruiser events!

Made my own using a bright orange plastic tool box: band aids, copy of "Medicine for Mountaineering", small bottles of Benadryl, Advil, Tylenol,& hand sanitizer. Super Glue & butterflies (for cuts), duct tape, Israeli trauma/battle dressings, shears, thermometer, knife, EMT light, Mini-Maglite, extra batteries, and a few other items.

Based on 20+ years as a Wildlife Biologist.

BTW: Sanitary napkins work excellent for bleeding control!

Not to rain on the parade, but you can put together an equivalent kit for significantly cheaper by buying bulk on Amazon, and then you have refills as well.

Amazon bag, or even Harbor Freight Apache box, then similar contents. Personally I'd tweak a few things to be more geared towards multiple victim bleed/burn events because of the type of stuff most of us do when outdoors, and maybe add in a SAM splint or two. I have common size OPAs and NPAs in mine as well. Came in under $200. Everyone's different, mine is based on what I've used and seen in EMT/SAR applications.

I think you’d be hard pressed to duplicate that kit for under $200. I was shocked how much it cost me to source supplies for 8 basic kits as a Scout leader so the boys could build them as part of their advancement. (I just went to Walmart for most items)

For the record the kit above includes a SAM splint.

I think you’d be hard pressed to duplicate that kit for under $200. I was shocked how much it cost me to source supplies for 8 basic kits as a Scout leader so the boys could build them as part of their advancement. (I just went to Walmart for most items)

For the record the kit above includes a SAM splint.
You might be right, I haven't put one together since last summer. I meant add in an extra SAM or two - multiples are super useful if you need to cover ground with a leg fracture. Ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

Buying bulk on Amazon saved me a ton when I did it last - most of the gauze packs and bandages are pretty easy to source cheap. You can also eliminate repetitive bandages and trim stuff down if you really want to go cheap. Meds are the biggest cost, not much you can do with those.

The medications in this and any kit really are the weak point IMHO. If you’re treating something for a couple of days there really is not enough.

First aid kits are a tough item for me in general. When I feel like I need to be the most prepared is when I want to carry the least amount. Backpacking for example. I could be days from the nearest resource. Carrying a kit of this size simply is not practical. On the flip side when I’m in my truck I’d be hard pressed in the lower 48 to be more than 24 hours from a medical facility. Let’s be honest even the most remote 4x4 trails could be evacuated in a days time with some effort and urgency.

For the record I have a Outer Limit kit in my truck. It’s more comprehensive than other commercial kits I’ve purchased over the years. I like the hard case. Part of the cost of this or anything for that matter is time. Point click done. Yes you can save some money by building your own. Just like you can save money by building your own sliders but it takes time. I’m going to build a kit this summer for my trailer and a new one for backpacking. The latter will be far more difficult.

Finally what’s more important, no first aid kit is very useful without any training. If applying bandaids is the extent of one’s skills then just carry bandaids. Someone trained who can improvise is a bigger asset than a full EMT’s kit with no knowledge.

The medications in this and any kit really are the weak point IMHO. If you’re treating something for a couple of days there really is not enough.

First aid kits are a tough item for me in general. When I feel like I need to be the most prepared is when I want to carry the least amount. Backpacking for example. I could be days from the nearest resource. Carrying a kit of this size simply is not practical. On the flip side when I’m in my truck I’d be hard pressed in the lower 48 to be more than 24 hours from a medical facility. Let’s be honest even the most remote 4x4 trails could be evacuated in a days time with some effort and urgency.

For the record I have a Outer Limit kit in my truck. It’s more comprehensive than other commercial kits I’ve purchased over the years. I like the hard case. Part of the cost of this or anything for that matter is time. Point click done. Yes you can save some money by building your own. Just like you can save money by building your own sliders but it takes time. I’m going to build a kit this summer for my trailer and a new one for backpacking. The latter will be far more difficult.

Finally what’s more important, no first aid kit is very useful without any training. If applying bandaids is the extent of one’s skills then just carry bandaids. Someone trained who can improvise is a bigger asset than a full EMT’s kit with no knowledge.

So true. Backpacking I just do a fairly basic bleed kit and carry a sat messenger. So many SAR missions would be way shorter (and more pleasant) if people carried a messenger.

That's the other tough thing about commercial kits- most of the stuff in these kits aren't particularly useful without the training. And once you do have the training and experience, you probably have preferences on items and want certain things that may not be in the pre-made kits.

While @Corbet is correct. I have built several kits over the years and for most of it I can customize it for where ever it lives ie. back pack, truck, shooting belts etc. I can buy in bulk for most of the items and then add the special items ie. TQ's and such as needed.

What about for people whose medical knowledge begins and ends with hydrogen peroxide, neosporin, band-aids and bandages?
I mean, I could get any of these kits and not know what I'm getting, how to use it, or even what I need.
In other words, I would simply be carrying a pack...for someone else in my group...who hopefully would know what to do with it. And then if some items are used at some point I wouldn't know what and how to replace/refill. Plus many of the items have expiration dates, yes?
It just seems that $300+ for bag I'm not qualified to crack open and that takes up already-limited space is a hard pill to swallow (no pun).
Is there an option for someone like myself? Maybe a 'Flintstones' version?
Or do I just take the plunge and get what I think may be a decent kit and roll (~$300)?

What about for people whose medical knowledge begins and ends with hydrogen peroxide, neosporin, band-aids and bandages?
I mean, I could get any of these kits and not know what I'm getting, how to use it, or even what I need.
In other words, I would simply be carrying a pack...for someone else in my group...who hopefully would know what to do with it. And then if some items are used at some point I wouldn't know what and how to replace/refill. Plus many of the items have expiration dates, yes?
It just seems that $300+ for bag I'm not qualified to crack open and that takes up already-limited space is a hard pill to swallow (no pun).
Is there an option for someone like myself? Maybe a 'Flintstones' version?
Or do I just take the plunge and get what I think may be a decent kit and roll (~$300)?
Then like I said above, just carry a box of bandaids.

Or register for a wilderness first aid class and get trained. Takes 3 days and well worth it.

Or register for a wilderness first aid class and get trained. Takes 3 days and well worth it.
Couldn't agree more! No sense in having gear you don't know how to properly use, I'm already cpr/first aid certified but I'm going to take a wilderness first aid course later this year. I'm very excited for it!

Indeed, my mistake. I missed your very last sentence. Thanks for the insight. 👍

I’d like to add this thought. Yes, take a class and continued training etc. You or a loved one may need it at some point. Having special items on/ in a kit could be used by someone else who has that training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom