Best AT Tires on 4Runner? - KO2 Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would love to tell
How often are you rotating the Duratracs?

I would love to tell you that I did regular rotation, but it was more of a whenever I got around to it sort of thing. Maybe every 2nd or 3rd oil change. Fronts tended to wear a bit quicker than rears, so I tried my best to keep it even.
I usually ran them at 31psi or so, and never really had need to air them down, even in sand etc.

They also make it in C (which I had) and E load ratings depending on your build.

I've owned Duratracs on two 4Runners and they are not good tires. I did regular rotations for both 4Runners (01 & 08) and had uneven treadwear on both vehicles. Two buddies had the same problem on their respective Toyotas. Duratracs are so bad with uneven treadwear that local tire shops are buying them back and giving customers opportunities for new tires. Duratracs are great tires for the first 10k miles and then become annoyingly loud due to tread pattern. I haven't made it to 30k miles on both vehicles. They weren't bad is snow but hot garbage on ice. KO2s to me were slightly better in ice.

I owned several sets of KO2s (01, 08, 18 4Rnrs, and '19 200 series) and I won't say they're the best tire but they do what I need for now. I'm considering Pro Comp AT Sports for my next purchase on the 5th gen. Save yourself the heartache get a long-term proven offroad tire or stick with a brand who's tire has been around for a while like General Grabbers. IMO...

I've owned Duratracs on two 4Runners and they are not good tires. I did regular rotations for both 4Runners (01 & 08) and had uneven treadwear on both vehicles. Two buddies had the same problem on their respective Toyotas. Duratracs are so bad with uneven treadwear that local tire shops are buying them back and giving customers opportunities for new tires. Duratracs are great tires for the first 10k miles and then become annoyingly loud due to tread pattern. I haven't made it to 30k miles on both vehicles. They weren't bad is snow but hot garbage on ice. KO2s to me were slightly better in ice.

I owned several sets of KO2s (01, 08, 18 4Rnrs, and '19 200 series) and I won't say they're the best tire but they do what I need for now. I'm considering Pro Comp AT Sports for my next purchase on the 5th gen. Save yourself the heartache get a long-term proven offroad tire or stick with a brand who's tire has been around for a while like General Grabbers. IMO...
I can't say I've had those issues if I'm honest. My Duratracs wore quite evenly which is interesting considering the rough use I subjected them to. I'm talking two different sets of Duratracs. Annoyingly loud is probably in the eye (ear?) of the beholder, but I found them acceptable even when very worn. Like I said, those tyres got me through some serious mud and some very rough trails/riverbeds etc, so the only reason I'm not running them still is price and local availability.

KO2s and General Grabbers have great reviews, so either would be a fine choice, but I never PERSONALLY owned those so I can't vouch for them.

For less off-road biased ATs, my dad has had Firestone Destination ATs on his Montero/Pajero, and they have been great for many many years, but he doesn't offroad at all besides the occasional gravel etc. No deep mud for him. They have great road manners though which was his primary motivation, while still preserving some "just in case" offroad ability.

You are the minority...and I will admit the tire noise was louder in my 01 than the 08 but it was so bad that I couldn't hear the radio and had to yell to my wife will driving at highway speeds. Easily compared to a Wrangler.

I recommend staying away from Duratracs. I love the look but that's about all they're good for.

Another place I should mention that Duratracs were phenomenol. In SAND. I was always able to drive on the beaches when the guys running mudders would just dig giant holes. Horses for courses I guess,
You are the minority...and I will admit the tire noise was louder in my 01 than the 08 but it was so bad that I couldn't hear the radio and had to yell to my wife will driving at highway speeds. Easily compared to a Wrangler.

I recommend staying away from Duratracs. I love the look but that's about all they're good for.
Sure you didn't just want an excuse to yell at the wife? Lol. Seriously speaking, I guess everyone has different experiences but noise was never a complaint for me with any AT Inc the duratracs. Noise only really becomes a factor for me with some very aggressive MTs, which my Kumho MT51 is not.

I like Duratracs also. Their design is like a mix of AT and MT. Same with Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Another place I should mention that Duratracs were phenomenol. In SAND. I was always able to drive on the beaches when the guys running mudders would just dig giant holes. Horses for courses I guess,

Sure you didn't just want an excuse to yell at the wife? Lol. Seriously speaking, I guess everyone has different experiences but noise was never a complaint for me with any AT Inc the duratracs. Noise only really becomes a factor for me with some very aggressive MTs, which my Kumho MT51 is not.
If comparing to MTs then yes they are quiet, but they are a louder tire compared to other ATs. KO2s worked fine for me with sand, snow, mud, and normal driving conditions.

If the OP is looking for an aggressive tire then Duratracs are an option. But the aggressive tread pattern does come with issues like uneven tread wear even with regular tire rotations. KO2s have a less aggressive tread pattern but is 3/32" less tread depth. My recommendation is BFGs and steer clear of Duratracs.

I had 285/75r17 KO2s on my GX470 and they were fantastic in my opinion. Im leaning towards getting 255/75r17 KO2s on my stock 5th gen but also looking at 255/80r17 coopers or toyo atiii. The snow and mud rating is important to me for where it is sometimes legally required if you want to avoid using chains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom