Best AT Tires on 4Runner? - KO2 Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Goldbug

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 2014 4Runner with 112k miles. I got it 3 years ago and it came with Cooper Discoverer AT3s on it. They are now end of life and I'm considering the BFG KO2s. It's my daily driver, with some occasional wheeling when I don't feel like driving the 40.

Curious on mileage, and highway handling.

Depending on your climate, they do make a snowflake variety.

They are quiet and behave pretty well on the highway.

I’ve been using them here in Northern California for about a year and a half and have had no issues with them, some people complain they are crappy in the rain after about a year or so, that has not been my experience.

I’ve driven to Tahoe once or twice in mild to moderate snowfall and have had no issues, I don’t know if I would trust them in a full blown blizzard.

I’m running 285/70/R 17, which were only available in an E LT rating.

Thanks, I do see a fair bit of snow and slush in New England, so might look into that further

I had Falken Wildpeak AT3’s on my 04 4runner. I surprisingly got about 50k miles out of them with pretty bad alignment specs for a lot of that. Quiet on the highway, decent in snow but not great. I went back to duratracs this time around. It’s my daily driver but also hunting vehicle so I wanted an aggressive AT.

I had Falken Wildpeak AT3’s on my 04 4runner. I surprisingly got about 50k miles out of them with pretty bad alignment specs for a lot of that. Quiet on the highway, decent in snow but not great. I went back to duratracs this time around. It’s my daily driver but also hunting vehicle so I wanted an aggressive AT.
Those are the favorite on the Toyota forums. I went with the KO2s because I had to get them on short notice and those weren’t available.

Honestly, I think with this class of tire they’re all mostly the same.

Those are the favorite on the Toyota forums. I went with the KO2s because I had to get them on short notice and those weren’t available.

Honestly, I think with this class of tire they’re all mostly the same.
respectfully disagree...the Falkens outperform in rain and snow, IMO and experience. KO2s are s*** in both, IMO. I'll never buy another set living in the midwest. If I lived in a warm climate all year round, I'd buy the KO2s.

I love the KO2’s on my 2014 4runner. First set was 275’s load E, now I have 285’s with C load. I prefer the 285’s. They look better, and are actually lighter then the E load tires. First set lasted about 60,000 miles.

28F06383-CA21-436D-ABCF-FEABF68785B5.jpeg

@JeffD Do the 285s rub at all? Would be nice to go big like that.

Surprisingly, looks like pricing is about same for Falkens and KO2s across TireRack, BJs, and Amazon.

Another guy for the KO2's...I'm on my second set, and I drive 22k a year. I run the Load E because I tow, but it was an easy choice for my second set. I also run them on my trailers.

Surprisingly, looks like pricing is about same for Falkens and KO2s across TireRack, BJs, and Amazon.
No rubbing, but I do live on flat terrain, and only drive on beaches for off road. I did a body mount chop on a small area using a dremel. also have Bilstein set at .85 on the front.

I have a 3 inch lift, aggressive body mount chop, wheel spacers, and I have trimmed the fender liners and the 285s probably do not rub but it’s close.

Stock size KO2’s on my ‘19 Pro, quiet and plenty of traction off road.

Ended up going with the stock size KO2s, ordered from Amazon because their price was decent and they were the only ones who could get them quick. They've been on a few weeks now and the road noise is a bit more pronounced than the Coopers, but not bad. Drove them through a pretty decent snowstorm from NH down to RI last sunday and they were great. Even pushed them a bit on some snowy roads up there and the grip seems pretty good.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

4Runner Tires.jpg

I like the KO2's but on a whim, bought Pro-Comp A/T Sports. Liked them so much we just put a set on the wife's Tundra.

I'm on my second set of KO2s. First set was stock size. Went one size larger for the second. 275/70/17 E load. Love KO2s...maybe I will try pro comp AT sports next.

Hello, all. just joined. First post on here.

Been running KO2s for about three years now. A lot of desert wheeling. Now I'm in the NE. The E rated tires are heavier which has its disadvantages but the added load capacity helps if you end up loading your truck down with armor, drawers, roof rack, etc. Of course, if you can help it, only put on the weight you need. If I had to do it all over again, I'd tell my past self to pay more attention to weight.

respectfully disagree...the Falkens outperform in rain and snow, IMO and experience. KO2s are s*** in both, IMO. I'll never buy another set living in the midwest. If I lived in a warm climate all year round, I'd buy the KO2s.
My new ordered 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium should be at the port in Houston in early May. Looking for stock size A/T tires (not sure if I will lift soon, as parts are not ready available). I have never run or thought much of Falken Wildpeak tires, but I have some interest. My GMC 1500 Z71 has Nitto Ridge Grappler and wife's GX 460 has Cooper AT3 4S tires. I am getting 4R to travel out west form Louisiana to see the backroads and routes of national parks in Utah, Arizona and Big Bend in Texas. Do you view the Wildpeaks as fair, good or excellent tires for long highway trips and then going offroad? If I don't go with the Wildpeaks, it will probably be the Ridge Grapplers, as the KO2's are being slammed.

From my experience, the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac is probably the best AT i've ever used in just about every condition besides rockcrawling.
The Duratracs are great on road, and fantastic in the wet/mud (and have the mountain snowflake for snow etc). I mention the rockcrawling because the sidewalls can get dug up fairly easily on sharp rocks compared to the BFG K/O2's. I also got about 45,000KM of VERY hard use out of a set of Duratracs (265/75/16) here in Jamaica, mostly traffic and mountain/offroad.

I recently switched over to Kumho MT51's mostly because of price, was on special for less than half the price of the Goodyears and easily sourced locally and they are fine, but don't provide quite as much traction and on-road handling.

A lot of guys in Jamaica with newer Toyotas tend to run the Maxxis AT980 as a sort of "budget BFG K/O2 equivalent". The tread pattern between that, the General Grabber AT and the BFG are remarkably similar.

From my experience, the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac is probably the best AT i've ever used in just about every condition besides rockcrawling.
The Duratracs are great on road, and fantastic in the wet/mud (and have the mountain snowflake for snow etc). I mention the rockcrawling because the sidewalls can get dug up fairly easily on sharp rocks compared to the BFG K/O2's. I also got about 45,000KM of VERY hard use out of a set of Duratracs (265/75/16) here in Jamaica, mostly traffic and mountain/offroad.

I recently switched over to Kumho MT51's mostly because of price, was on special for less than half the price of the Goodyears and easily sourced locally and they are fine, but don't provide quite as much traction and on-road handling.

A lot of guys in Jamaica with newer Toyotas tend to run the Maxxis AT980 as a sort of "budget BFG K/O2 equivalent". The tread pattern between that, the General Grabber AT and the BFG are remarkably similar.
How often are you rotating the Duratracs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom