Best approach for 3f rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for advice on rebuild 3F. Mine is in FJ73 with over 515000 kms. Still purs but lacks power. I think time to refresh. I want to keep as original and numbers matching car. Carby rebuild was perfect but I want to get her refreshed. Is there a Stroker solution out here ? Where can I source decent parts ? I am based in Australia.

Thanks for reaching out. Yes. I use Terrain Tamer for parts and they are excellent. I am looking at what is the best approach for engine power upgrade. I am thinking if I get some head work done as a starter, that might give me more to work from. If we have a little shave and porting, that might be a start. Although I have been told you cant really get much out of a 3F

Looking for advice on rebuild 3F. Mine is in FJ73 with over 515000 kms. Still purs but lacks power. I think time to refresh. I want to keep as original and numbers matching car. Carby rebuild was perfect but I want to get her refreshed. Is there a Stroker solution out here ? Where can I source decent parts ? I am based in Australia.

Just a question on the Carby rebuild, do you happen to know what kit was used? I have a Carb'ed 3F and it looks like the OEM kit has been discontinued.

Thank you
-Rob

This may be a dead end, but might be worth an email or call to MOSLEY MOTORS - https://www.mosleymotors.com. @FJ60Cam is the man to talk too. I doubt he will divulge all his trade secrets but might be able to point you in a great direction since you are in Australia.

Here is what they say on the website, should apply mostly to a 3F carby (I'd switch to sniper efi)

On a typical rebuild, we start with a ‘81 and newer 2F, which uses flat pistons and a closed chamber head. We use the largest Toyota pistons we can get our hands on and bore & hone the block to fit. The crank is turned & balanced and the camshaft is reground for an improved power band. We use a new Toyota camshaft timing gear, which is the only timing gear on the market with a rubber dampener for quiet operation. Pistons and rods are weight-balanced to the lightest rod for smooth operation. The bottom end is then reassembled with high quality US made rings and Japanese bearings.

We can also build ‘75-’80 2Fs using TLC Performance’s high quality USA made Wiseco forged 1.5mm oversized dome pistons. The OEM pistons have been long discontinued, with Taiwanese pistons being the only other option.

The head is where the magic happens. The Toyota valves are replaced with modern stainless domestic valves which are lighter and larger diameter, and utilize modern progressive springs and modern stem seals. These valves breathe easier and last longer than the stock valves. Valve seats are CNC-cut with several angles to remove as much restrictions and flow as well as possible. Once the valves are installed, the heads are CC’d for volume and milled to a precise, calculated compression ratio; we do not guess or mill a standard amount. Compression ratio can be tailored to run either standard or premium grade fuel.

These motors look as beautiful as they run. The block and head receive several layers of premium high temperature paint, while the engine covers are media-blasted and powder coated before assembly with new, stainless metric hardware. We personally hand-assemble each motor to assure it meets our standards.

We recommend upgrading to fuel injection to maximize performance, drivability, and engine life. If a carburetor is desired or required for smog, we are happy to recommend a competent rebuilder.

If you are interested in a Super HiPo 2F, we have a few more tricks up our sleeve that require custom pistons and rods. This adds considerable expense, but saves over a pound per cylinder of rotating and reciprocating mass. This is a good option for those considering an engine transplant, but want to keep a 2F under the hood for original looks.

Thanks for reaching out. I have seen their website and the video of the 2f drag race. I like what they do and now need to find someone in Aus (Melbourne) to make it happen. I have spoken to a couple of rebuilders and they say it is very hard to get much more from this motor. I don't want a huge amount of improvement. I just want it to be strong in all gears. 3rd sucks for power. But we are looking at 6- 8 k for a marginal improvement. So I am keen to know best value for dollar. Appreciate your post.

Just a question on the Carby rebuild, do you happen to know what kit was used? I have a Carb'ed 3F and it looks like the OEM kit has been discontinued.

Thank you
-Rob
Hi. Really don't know. I found an old school bloke in Bayswater, Colin was excellent. I actually had car at Toyota Dealership and they didn't know where to send carby for repair. I found this guy and told me to avoid s*** import carbies and said fix the original. I had the Toyota dealership send my carby out Colin at Bayswater Carburettor & Fuel Injection Service. The dealership also sourced a number of other parts there for other work on my car. Colin did an excellent job. I note there is one bad review but many good reviews. I am happy with his old school knowledge and the quality of his work.

Before going down the rebuild path have you done a compression check? IMO unless doing it yourself, a rebuild will be $$$$ and not yield a great gain with a 3F. To get decent power you need to drastically up the compression, more camshaft and get the head/manifolds flow with a bigger carby. IMO engine conversion is the way to go.

Hi. Thanks for comments. I have been flat out but finally did compression test using two guages. Starting from piston at front of engine, 139psi, 136psi, 130 psi, 136psi,126psi, 140psi. I am not sure if these are really bad ?. I read 150PSI is what a new motor gives per cylinder. However, the wear across cylinders is within 10 PSI. The engine has 550k Kilometers. I should note that on the compression test, it was a very quick jump from zero to about 100psi. for each piston. Did about 7 cranks. Engine was warm. What to do ? The power when going from 2nd to third is crap if revs are low. Do i redo head? Go to EFI solution? Or is rebuild the way to go? I just cant believe that such a big engine is so poorly powered. I would like something like 200HP for 8 - 10k rebuild costs. Is that possible?

I have finally done the rebuild. Toptorque in vermont Victoria. Great people. I also had Gearbox and Transfer done by Trans Gears & Diffs in Thomas Town Victoria. Lots of Terrain Tamer parts. I am very happy

Capture.JPG

ENG 3.JPG

ENGINE 1.JPG

ENGINE 2.JPG

ENGINE 3.JPG

I am looking at the Vacuum systema and need some help identifying the item in the photo. I dont thin it is a VSV . Any ideas ?

please identify.JPG

Some other good mentions. Because it is hard to find the right suppliers and people. Long range fuel tank from Brown Davis in Bayswater. Carby Work by Colin at Bayswater Carburettor & Fuel Injection Service. Alternator rebuild by by Sean at Autosparks M&D, Camberwell. Dizzy Rebuild by Performance Ignition Services, Nunawading, Victoria. Radiator recore by Iceman Radiators & Air Conditioning Croydon. For those who need a good start with parts. Parts peoples include 4x4world Traralgon, ToJo 4wd Centre, Toowoomba, ATOC Auto Repairs Belgrave and Terrain Tamer, All Four x 4 Spares Kotara Nsw. METRO BOLTS. 44 Renver Road Clayton. ( Awesome). HS Motors & Auto Electrics . For parts from overseas, I have purchased from Megazip and Partsouq. Megazip has amazing parts but can be slow, however, the parts arrive and are oem.

Thank you for this!

I just bought my 3F Troopy and not even registered yet. The workshop and supplier list above will be most helpful in my "journey"

Looks good. Did you get the additional power you were looking for.
Yes. But dont expect a massive increase. I just put extractors on, new exhaust with Resonator and Muffler in stainess. Was still not right. Took back to carby guy and he upgraded the jets in carby and retimed. Really much better improvement. The car was thirsty at 2000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd. Now it guzzles fuel and loves it at that RPM range. Otherwise it was really good after 2000 rpm. Just had that flat spot there. All really good now. I love chirping it in first, second and third. 4, 11s gears does that with heaps of torque.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom