Best 7in.round head light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any idea on heat source?resistance/ I red? I couldn't find any info that I could use to compare eg. Lumens/ c power. Back to the site aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Thanks for the input allfinally got around to looking locally. Softy has several kinds. This is the combo that well go with. Total cost <300$cdn. Will take pics when installed in kids truck see how they work. Gotta be an improvement.

image.jpg

Does your box say 5.75" Please take pics after installation. :)

I did truck lite and which made my decision was the light cut / pattern ..

20170303151231-e9cec57f-me.jpg

sh_lNCY8C3CVsU-5Mw19TLtcidDd0TJH1H0Xye2n15I5OxrsU7hlqU7Rqzg94T-zIXmx8BVwPuXNU3thp3Gv2h29C7dxrcaTZ2gbsa1qO8LBwxe_hdohKSIdDccMocpbrE8QtTKz1fWL_YGZMIHHTpy9l4qASswT_CT2KZ_FzIMxZgtfcrF0NQIKllpuYbajcUbVZVn5i3Fc18xije71PdAUQ8eYyED_7_0YeyGXwZSj_yamyn0gEQzSDzSZcYBm0gGq6vf3YMPkjnhRuku7i1m4bL4M62L8o0_yeNimclO6gpLqtCY_RUKGQJtv0ccvukBz6xoyhZhLchz7KCvQOQ8SL35kkiNGWLSQEatgi4OphWaJTbRSV9-KThmWNKF8Z_TdRDtHcxzRh_ujNHk1d-tNUS4tVp4KC-JP9ikOyQOU4kckYEoPd_P9-Nfi5gMAKyt1ibYG8OyUblIVqHIkXxBlYsbWn22Z12RoNTphUudW53W_iM8uivLSkXNwohkjyvyclwU2Msali6-ctl2KrA9uXwxTuPGxnttjK7JErs5OCw1FKhkh4ei1QXhjDJLy-BkAW43COIibiGl9oYj4oXgSXM0shGTzDHgqe7nFJMz_3FmTFjAE=w904-h678-no

Thanks for the pic it shows the performance. I'll pick up the lights and install them when kid and truck back in 10 days. Might slap same conversion bulbs into my 80 if they will fit. Stock lights are weak. The 7 in. come with a halogen bulb but have non rusting poly carb reflector/ housing and hardened glass lenses.

Jw Speakers in my 60. They are by far the best led beam, but mine are not heated. That having been said, I use my truck year round at higher elevations and haven't had a snow/ice issue as I was expecting. Maybe the complete lack of aerodynamics pushes the air with snow up and over?

Brian at Softy's set me up with a glass lense aluminum housing conversion fixtures. They have halogen bulbs in them( toss quality)but are made for led pattern etc. $89/pr. Led bulbs were $115each. Plug n play as long as I don't have to modify the bucket.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Some thoughts.

I haven't seen anything LED without a focused beam work well in real world applications, so it will be interesting to get your impressions on that setup. You would think it would be easy, but I guess the flat nature of the led makes it difficult.

300ft down the road tends to look different than 20ft at a garage door, as you cant tell how much light is focused down the center and how much is diffused outward.

A dead even cut off line isn't ideal, as when the car is pointed down, and road transitioning up, you not only won't have light shining up the road, but the glare back at you with further dull your distance vision. Some light has to go up road, and it has to be skewed to the right to lessen the blinding of oncoming cars. I would think i would want to see a peak center/right. Good focus beam lights will come in left and right hand drive. (My 2001 Passat was flat and used to drive me nuts on winding roads. Without the highs on, there were areas without illumination, depending on the road elevation/direction changes. Horrid design)

Pictures of beams are useless without a controlled exposure with a standard headlight to compare it with, and even then, it will look different in real life due to the light spectrum and your monitor.

OEM must spend lots on design, as its amazing how bad aftermarket lights are in comparison. (That Passat being a notable exception)

The LX470 was the first car I owned with real engineered lights. Maybe its not the best today, but it was so much better than anything else I ever had ever owned, it's still my benchmark for quality.

Last edited:
Only had a short test drive after dark aligned them and they seem p decent. Truck is getting turbo installed so won't get a chance to test for a week or so. Once new bumper made will have more mounting options.

OEM must spend lots on design, as its amazing how bad aftermarket lights are in comparison. (That Passat being a notable exception)

This right here. I was all set to get new headlights for my 73 and when I got it I was like, nah...I'm good. I'll just get some offroad lights for the bumper.

I may get a set - I know it's a serious upgrade. I was kinda kidding but not really. Partly I'm confused by being a right hand drive vehicle in a left hand drive world - not sure which direction to go.

I may get a set - I know it's a serious upgrade. I was kinda kidding but not really. Partly I'm confused by being a right hand drive vehicle in a left hand drive world - not sure which direction to go.
at least replace the headlight assembly for a LHD world.

LHD (right lane drive). its all about the on coming traffic not your seating position. if it says DOT i think youre good.

Finally saw what the new Lumens would do on and off-road. V good pattern on hi beams and low. Decent but not enuff long range throw. P good side lite too. They don't get warm enuff at -2c. to melt ice. However warm Lites melt snow at -20 which re freezes when they are shut off. 6 of one half a dozen of the other. Huge improvement over stock. Trails were well lit up and cast a beam as wide as could be used. As 6 inches of new snow shining,everything was lit right up. Aux Lites will come after bumper done.

image.jpg

I’m gonna revive this a bit. Currently testing this as a solution. Initial impressions are good, but I’m going to wait untill I have decent seat time behind them. I’m curious to see how they hold up to the vibrations and in a harsh enviroment.

Hikari Ultra LED. The have 6 Phillips LEDs per bulb and claim to reproduce halogen beam patterns exactly. My primary concern is the cooling fan used in the ballast. They are advertised for 12v systems but the manufacturer’s manual indicate 24v system is fine too. I’ll update as required.

Bulb design compared to traditional halogen:

34FD76B5-4C3C-43F8-B05E-F97899AC1EF4.jpeg

660E44D6-4C14-419D-A306-6B03A602FAE3.jpeg

Temperature difference:

ECC0C808-CD71-41AA-B03C-339B319A5662.jpeg

Low beam pattern comparison:

92B1DE30-B936-4C89-B35C-6B60C93A26C7.jpeg

High beam pattern comparison:

1779B47D-95B5-4ACF-9A6C-F612CAF16668.jpeg

Cell pictures are not very helpful. I’m not taking the time to set up proper photos as even that isn’t telling based on what monitor the viewer has, blah blah blah. I will say, in person the light scatter isn’t noticeably different than halogens. I’m not a huge fan of this color temp but I will give it some time before I adjust it or change the whole set up together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom