Bending up tube fenders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HandForged

Built Not Bought!
Threads
This is an observation more than a question:
Why do makers build tube fenders with such heavy (large diameter) tube? I'll be bending up my own for my project but the ones I have been looking at for inspiration are 1.5- 1-3/4 tubing. That just seems like overkill to me. The stock fenders are essentially tissue paper in comparison.

I'd like to see some that you guys have made yourselves please. I was thinking of using a 1" DOM tubing sheeted with 1/8" which alone would be about 10 times stronger than stock. Shaped to more of a "flat fender" willys MB style.

I thought most did use around one inch tube. Not mine.
41DA52B3-3D6C-4057-8E39-C2175B51F994.jpeg
1CAC9CAB-64D3-4144-B9F4-37FCAB69A567.jpeg
076AA404-5B71-43A9-AD28-4BF0427D52C5.jpeg

maybe I'm looking at the wrong ones...

I am under the impression that the larger diameter (but relatively thin wall) tubing is used mostly to give an eye-pleasing radius to the outside of the fender. Too small a tube and it'll look like a jeep fender flare IMO.

Side bonus is that they're beefy enough to deflect obstacles.

I used 1" tubing and some 16GA steel for mine, I made them removable with only a few bolts to to easily remove them for more hardcore wheeling.

IMG_2958.jpg

I am under the impression that the larger diameter (but relatively thin wall) tubing is used mostly to give an eye-pleasing radius to the outside of the fender. Too small a tube and it'll look like a jeep fender flare IMO.

Side bonus is that they're beefy enough to deflect obstacles.
I guess so but it just seems like extreme overkill. On my rig the tires will contact before the fender ( I hope). For me I am looking for tire coverage in mud and clearance more than anything. Without having it look like the start of an exo-cage.
1" seems like the way to go. With my project being really pug nosed in the front with essentially no front bumper, I will be shaping them as closely to the bib as I can. I am planning a nose guard/ small stinger on the front that i will tie it into.

Yeah, after seeing the 1" tube fenders above (no offense intended), I'm going to say I'm confident that aesthetics are the reason for the larger tube diameter. Overkill? Who cares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom