belt change

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by PHAEDRUS, May 9, 2003.

1. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Hey all thought I would chime in on this one.
    Just finished putting the fan cluthc in the pig last night and thought I would add my two cents...
    noted while changing the clutch on mine that the belt form the clutch to the alternator was a bit loose, went to adjust and all out of room on the alternator. so looks like new belts for me next week.
    to the point, does anyone have a good write up for changing the belts on these. my rig is a 92 (3fe kicks ass!) thanks for all input.
    Dave :beer:

2. tenncrusher

tenncrusher

Go OEM or Napa Gold (bates) at a min, though I do not think it seems to matter as much on the 3FE. I put NAPA gold (ribbed) on my '96 and they are not loud and seem to be good quality. I had Napa Gold on my old '88 and never had a prob, though they made a little more noise than perhaps OEM would make. OEM seem to be quality. When I got my '96, it still had original with 123k on them.

3. Seminole

Seminole

Replaced mine in Dec. Easier with two people, but can be done solo(w/patience and much #6). The only problems I had were:
    1. Either take off the fan shroud, shrink your hands, or get a bit creative with the extensions and universals.
    2. don't forget about the idler pulley under the A/C compressor.
    3. The alternator was the most pain to adjust. I had to take the adjuster assembly apart, rotate the alt all the way up to get the belt off, even with the PS pump loose.

All in all, a :banana: and :beer: :beer: :beer: job. Oh make sure the stealer gives you the correct belts, non ribbed.

4. Hltoppr

Hltoppr

Media:
    Albums:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    Yup, no ribbed OEM belts....not for your pleasure...

-H-

(Shameless pad on a Friday afternoon.)

5. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Hey all,
    got the belts now I just need time to get them on. going to Moab this weekend, Washington to look for a house next weekend then dragging a trailer wiht all of my belongings to washington the weekend after that. Is this a solo less than two hour job? or do I need 3-4 hours to pull it off.
    Dave :beer:

6. Seminole

Seminole

I'd say 2 solo,if you are really being patient, but no more than three with minor problems. Without help, you may have some trouble keeping the belts aligned withthe pulley/s on the bottom end. I used a yard stick to keep them in place while I routed the top end.

about 6x :beer:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.