Before I order please check this out!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 1973 FJ40 has a SBC in it and the stock 3 speed with stock transfer case.

I want to beef it up a bit and here is my parts list so far.

SM465 32 spline 2x4 transmission

Advanced Adapters SM465 32 spline to 19 spline split case

(P/N 50-4903) | Advance Adapters

1984 FJ60 transfer case from the Classified section (This is the correct split case upgrade I should do right?)

Now I need a new cross member for the t-case. Here is one I found.

(P/N 716022) | Advance Adapters

Will the above cross member work on the split case?

Am I missing anything here? All the proper mounts/cross members here?

I can fab stuff up if needed I guess :)

You need this crossmember from a donor FJ60. It is three piece and mounts to frame like the other pics. (Ignore the SBC motor mounts in the first pic) There are other x-members out there from FJ60s. You need this one. You also need the tranny mount for between the X-member and the tranny, making 4 pieces you need from a donor FJ60.

Do yourself a favor, get the whole sh*teree, including T-case, all in one fell swoop at a junkyard or from MUD. Then you can adapt to the SM465. Make sure you get the shifting lever for the T-case, although you can adapt the 3-speed T-case lever if needed.

Contact Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for rebuild kit. You will have either a 34mm or 38 mm Idler Shaft(?) Kurt can supply rebuild kit for either. he might even have everything you need above.
Pictures 089.jpg
Pictures 149.jpg
Pictures 150.jpg

Now that I think about it, this crossmember fits a Toyota tranny, so you may not want this one. Sorry!

That X-member pic fits either a Toyota 4-speed (H42?)or the Toyota h55f fivespeed. Sorry, can't help you about fitment to a sm465.

Many AA adapter housings include an area where a transmission mount can be bolted. This may allow the crossmemer to be directly below the adapter or in otherwords between the transmission and the transfercase. This is the adapter you listed in post #1:
adapter.jpg

Many AA adapter housings include an area where a transmission mount can be bolted. This may allow the crossmemer to be directly below the adapter or in otherwords between the transmission and the transfercase. This is the adapter you listed in post #1:

Thanks Mike!

So my parts list so far is good to go then?

I use the optional mount point on mine. I'm not crazy about AA engine or mounts or case crossmember

You ended up fabing your own? Or is there a cross member that can be purchased?

It's a custom fab job. Incorporated into a skid plate.
attachment.php

It's a custom fab job. Incorporated into a skid plate.
attachment.php

What transfer case is on your transmission?

It looks like that cross member from AA would bolt right onto it. I ma guessing thats not the split case?

Not a split case. Early three spd. Probably to be an Orion next.

What transfer case is on your transmission?

It looks like that cross member from AA would bolt right onto it. I ma guessing thats not the split case?

It looks like the cross member from AA would bolt up.

Here is a picture of a split case (I believe)

images

1009_4wd_25+1976_toyota_land_cruiser_FJ40+split_case.jpg

And here is the picture of their brace

716022.jpg

On the3 back of the transfer case there is a plate/cone that has the same 6 bolts around it in the same patterns as the cross member from AA.

Last edited:
Im not too happy with mine, I rock srawl and twist the S*%# out of it and the problem with this design is that the pivot point in the drivetrain in the little gasket where the cone was. this was a real problem when you dont like oil leaks. the bottom line is, dont throw away the end cone for the transfercase. I made a double tube crossmember that holds a HD mount in the center.

Im not too happy with mine, I rock srawl and twist the S*%# out of it and the problem with this design is that the pivot point in the drivetrain in the little gasket where the cone was. this was a real problem when you dont like oil leaks. the bottom line is, dont throw away the end cone for the transfercase. I made a double tube crossmember that holds a HD mount in the center.

Hmm, thanks for the heads up!

Where you using this on a split case?

The SBC mounts are from Matt Beir. very easy install.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom