Been lurking, time to start contributing, here's my beater project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swankstar

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy! New FJ80 (manufactured in 91, titled as 92) owner here. I've wanted one since I first saw one in 93. Finally had a little extra cash and this thing showed up on Craigslist for 1800. Got it for 1400 because it needed a bunch of little stuff just to be register-able. My intention is to have a winter capable rig for the wife and I to be safe in and get to work on the somewhat rare occasion of deep snow, and be able to get into the local mountains for a bunch of weekends each summer and not be impeded by 2wd limitations.

The truck had been a commuter for a guy who basically lived off grid and came to town occasionally. He bought it from someone who had been in an accident that involved being rear ended and then pushed into the rig in front of them. Cheesy front bumper crushed into front stuff, rear bumper/cross-member bent. Broken lights, etc. Not MUCH bent sheetmetal, and what was bent is barely noticeable. Steering wheel is at about 10:30 to go straight, but it doesn't really pull so I'm leaving that for now.

Here is a link to an imgur album going through the stuff below: Project FJ80

What I've done so far (all from local pick-a-part):

Replace the ONE 225/75/15 tire that was on the rear passenger (the rest were 235s...) OUCH
Replace both front seats
Replace front window switches
Replace both front window motors
Rebuild one headlight (replaced back piece as ALL mount point were broken/missing)
Replace both rear side marker lights
Replace both tail lights
Replace both yellow running lights in the front
Replace one front turn signal light
Replace ALL exterior bulbs with LEDs
Replace gauge cluster lights with red LEDs
Replace both rear overhead lights (the lever switch on both were missing)
Replace all overhead bulbs with LED arrays (driver light, mid light, rear light)
Replace turn signal relay with the LED compatible one
Replace upper and lower dash panels (both were cracked/broken)
Filled ALMOST all dash panel holes with stock switches for future use (what the HELL is an ECT?? I have two now...) Will use for driving lights, winch, anything else I want
Replace both front seat belts as they were completely trashed
Removed far back seat belts because I don't have rear seats and never will
Replaced/added center console thing from a newer model that had the extra height piece so there are now two stacked lids (don't know better way to explain)
Removed fender flares (welded holes)
Removed garbage front bumper
Removed rear bumper pieces
Replace the spare tire carrier
Replace wheels with 16" Toyota (and 265/75 tires) but need to figure out the lug nut issue (same bolt pattern but originals have tapered nuts, new wheels aren't)
Welded up broken exhaust hangers (temp fix until can afford to build new exhaust), has already broken again (lots of rusty metal involved)
Sanded/painted (flat black primer actually), I actually just helped the wife do this part. She is getting practice for painting her car
Replace 9005/9006 with 9011/9012
De-smog
Fab interior ceiling rack
Stereo install with Blueteeth and all
Replace passenger rear shock, was totally blown out
Install dual battery setup, super simple style, just an FZJ battery box and a couple wires connecting
Replace ALMOST all interior plastic
Replace rear carpet
Replace rear seats with leather
CLEANED sunroof drain. That was all it needed to not leak into cab. Whooda thunk??
Install DeltaVS radius arms
install DeltaVS panhard lift bracket
Install DeltaVS ceiling storage rack
Install DeltaVS front bumper
Install DeltaVS rear bumper
Install DeltaVS center console

Planned work:
Tune up/PM ASAP
Add manual front hubs ASAP

Rebuild axles and add lockers of some kind (clicking when turning hard left)
Swap to FZJ discs on all corners
Get cruise control working (did troubleshooting process I found on here and everything passed but still doesn't work, CC light still blinks 5 times)
Do diesel swap at some point
Put some OME springs/shocks in (1.5-2" max, still trying to figure out which exactly I should go with)
Fab roof rack
Fab front bumper with winch
Fab sliders
Fab rear bumper with ladder
Add second battery with FZJ80 battery box
Add second fuel tank (would prefer the OEM style dual filler etc)
Replace tailgate (bent) and upper door from later model with 3rd brake light (have parts already just haven't had time)
Investigate/fix sunroof (took through car wash and water POURED into cab), looked into it a little and see the glass does NOT go all the way up so not sure if gasket is bad or what
Make a mounting panel that goes behind interior body panel on passenger rear to mount inverter and amp on
(never mind, found out about @NLXTACY 's parts after making this first post)
Make some kind of roll out drawers/platform thing to aid in camping and tool storage, etc. It'll be pretty low profile
Get AC working (its HOT here in the summer), maybe change over to r134
Replace steering column cover

Last edited:
Started to read your thread and gagged at price. So cheap but then you Put in a ton of sweat equity. I've had my 80 for 8 years or so hardly done a thing. Well swapped engines trans n case both axles with factory lockers. Great vehicles, enjoy n post some pics. Sounds like a project.

image.jpg

image.jpg

@Burbot, ya, the price made it too hard to pass up. Definitely spent the difference right away on all the replacement parts, but I still think I did quite well!

Also, here are some of the pics from initial post now that I've figured out how to post them. These are of how it arrived to my hands. Next batch will show some of the improvements.

IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

Last edited:
These show tackling the headlights a bit

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

The rest of headlight tackling and some LED relay goodness. The LED relay works great, next post will have the packaging in case anybody hasn't seen that.

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

Model number and packaging for the LED relay (this one came from Advanced Auto for about $10), back of the gauge cluster showing the four green bulb holders that I swapped with red LEDs, the garbage seats I replaced, and a pic of the primered rig at the salt flats.

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

Another pic of the rig at the salt flats, a couple "artsy" pics the wife took to show off her paint job, all the parts leftover after I finished working on it yesterday (and it even still runs!), last pic is me wondering what goes in the lower left (round) hole, and the little rectangular hole next to the dimmer. I know the diff lock goes in the square one on the right, but I don't know what goes in the middle there.

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

That looks so cool compared to start r those like lil boots on there(15)? The ECT is your electronic controlled transmission selector switch

Yes, that was before replacing the tires/wheels with 265/75/16's last week. Looks waaaaaaay better now and drives nicer too. I'm going to have to read up on the ECT now, thank you.

Looks trail worthydoesn't that salt eat your truck?mines winter driven in a salt slurpee. I cringe when I see it in quantity.

Yes, but this thing is our only road trip capable vehicle at the moment. It got throughly washed after and it won't be making the yearly trek again.

Another pic of the rig at the salt flats, a couple "artsy" pics the wife took to show off her paint job, all the parts leftover after I finished working on it yesterday (and it even still runs!), last pic is me wondering what goes in the lower left (round) hole, and the little rectangular hole next to the dimmer. I know the diff lock goes in the square one on the right, but I don't know what goes in the middle there.

View attachment 1526610

View attachment 1526611

View attachment 1526612

View attachment 1526613

View attachment 1526615
the square is where the electric diff lock switch goes, the round one is where the cable to choke engine and leave it at speed goes (don't know how you call it in english) it comes in diesel engines (mine is a 1HD-T)

I'm familiar with the diff lock switch, i'm talking about between that and the dimmer dial. There is a rectangular hole there. Is that for a clutch override or something on the manual ones?? Didn't know about the "cruise control" cable, I'll have to look into that one.

Called a Choke cable or optional throttle cable.

Your build looks good. I am in the market for an 80. I might have a deal, trading my Xterra for the 80.

do you still have the fender flares

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom