Been lurking, time to start contributing, here's my beater project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your build looks good. I am in the market for an 80. I might have a deal, trading my Xterra for the 80.
Thanks! Got a long way to go but it definitely looks better than when I got it.

@graham5david see attached. The second pic shows the single tab that is broken off. It is still attached to the mud flap/bumper piece and could be included.

IMG_1167.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG

do you still have the fender flares
sorry no slur. As a long standing TLC driver you get a little smug. Well really smug and say things like"I'd rather push my LC than drive a land rover"why do cruiser owners wave to each other? It's that we know something others don't. You'll get it, the addiction that is or maybe it was latent as you wanted one for20+years! Enjoy that 80 drive it you'll love it. I considered an x terra, my mechanic didn't even want to look at it"too many headaches"was all he said. But he's been loyal Toyota since he worked at the dealer and he's tough to impress.

Thanks! Got a long way to go but it definitely looks better than when I got it.

The one I am looking at needs a lot of TLC as well. Here in the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix), the sun is brutal on paint. So you can imagine what a 26 year old paint job would look like. But I plan on doing the Monstaliner on any LC I get.

Is the Nissan full of cash? Lmao

Should be, but the LC I am getting is not in the greatest shape. Definitely needs some TLC.

Aka, hand throttle.
Apply throttle to approximate rpm you want with your foot. Pull out the hand throttle until it's got no slack, then turn it to lock it in.
It attaches to the top of the gas pedal.

AKA, cruise control, no?? But a terrible one.

Haven't been updating this too well, but got pretty lucky last week at the yunk yard so I figured I better get some progress pics up. Long story short: for basically a pocketful of change, I got these springs (one of the rears still had an OME tag of 860, so I'm assuming front is similar). They are currently at the powder coat shop getting blasted and coated.

IMG_1339.JPG

They are exactly what I've been looking for so I'm super stoked.

What I wasn't too stoked on is when I got the call a cruiser showed up at the yard, I was in the next town and had to rush over. When I got there, I found somebody already halfway through differential removal (with Detroit lockers!!). I still pulled the axles to rebuild and switch to bigger front brakes and rear discs/semi-floating axles. When I removed the leading arms from new axle yesterday to start measuring up for making some custom ones for myself, I found they had offset bushing installed already. Swapped these on tonight, way easier than I was expecting. Took longer to find the torque values than actually swap.

IMG_1391.JPG

Glad to have that part of the lift done already, and can't wait to see how the springs turn out.

Got the springs back from powder coat. Not quite as "bright" as I'd hoped but I'm ok with it. After they are all cleaned up, I'm noticing some numbers stamped in the bottom (see attached). Does anybody know what those are? Date stamps or part number stamps or ?? It LOOKS to me like "6 95" on the fronts and "7 97" on the rears
IMG_1402.JPG
IMG_1403.JPG

Semi float. There are actual full floaters?? What year did those start??

Friday night seems like as good a night as any to work on the rig. Couldn't wait any longer, so I went ahead and installed the freshly coated junkyard OMEs. Below are some before/after pics and a couple showing the differences between the stock and OME springs. Probably been seen plenty before, but just want to track everything here.

Haven't even had a chance to drive it yet, I'll have to report back on that later.

The biggest hiccup I had on the install was that my jack stands were about 2 feet too short for the rear spring install. I ended up loosening the bump stop (which I'm apparently supposed to be putting a shim above anyway, thanks for the headsup @Cruzilla) to allow a slightly more extreme angle of the dangle for getting those springs in place. Other than that, I just read the walkthrough on sleeoffroad.com to get a handle on what to remove. I'd say it was plenty easy.

I was a little surprised when I pulled the fronts and set them next to the new springs. They're shorter!! But more coils and way thicker wire. Once I sat it down (then sat it down again with out the jack stands still under it) it was quite obvious the rig sits higher. Doing the front first, I didn't realize the "too short jack stands" issue yet.

Before:
IMG_1417.JPG

Totally stock height, probably pretty worn out. I forgot to take pics of the bumpstop to front axle before, oh well.

Here are the fronts lined up:

IMG_1416.JPG

The fronts had distinctly different heights on the new springs, not so much on the old ones (same for the rears as well)

The new rear springs were definitely taller than the old ones, in contrast to the fronts, adding to the short jack stand issue.
IMG_1414.JPG

This is a before shot of stock height bumpstop to axle clearance:

IMG_1415.JPG

About 1 inch or so.

Here is after of the same thing. Quite the difference!!

IMG_1412.JPG

And here's the finished product. I'll report back with some driving impressions. Next up is to mount the 17" FJC wheels I recently scrounged up to fill all that newfound dead space.

IMG_1411.JPG

And now with more tire. Got some cheap FJC 17" steelies and mounted up some 285/70/17 tires tonight. Now I just gotta find some shocks...
IMG_2605.JPG

Welp, as if I didn't have enough to do...guess now I have a bunch of reading to add to that list. Need to find out some of the intricacies of squeezing this thing into the beast.

4bt.jpg

I was really hoping to get something that drives a little nicer, but the price of this was simply too good. Full rebuild is in order (obviously), and a few parts are missing, but nothing terribly important. Most of it is stuff that I would be replacing anyway, in lieu of higher performance parts (turbo, injection pump, etc).

Welp, as if I didn't have enough to do...guess now I have a bunch of reading to add to that list. Need to find out some of the intricacies of squeezing this thing into the beast.

View attachment 1591663

I was really hoping to get something that drives a little nicer, but the price of this was simply too good. Full rebuild is in order (obviously), and a few parts are missing, but nothing terribly important. Most of it is stuff that I would be replacing anyway, in lieu of higher performance parts (turbo, injection pump, etc).
Awesome build! Can’t wait to see more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom