Beadlocks, 8" wide or 9.5"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm almost ready to purchase a set of 17" steel beadlocks and I have to decide on the width. Most likely I'll be running a 37/12.50-17 tire. These will be going on my current build. Mainly trail driven with some street driving.

I've had no problems running 8" wide wheels with my 35/12.50-15 tires, ever. The lips are not all chewed up from the rocks and I've run as low as 8 psi and never lost a bead. So the 8" width has worked well for me even though it was "not recommended" for the 12.50 tire width.

I realize that I won't need the extra bead retention like I did on the regular steelies I had but, would staying with the 8" width to better protect my rings and hardware be worth it?

I've seen how chewed up some of them get and they sure aren't cheap.

Just to throw you guys a curve, I'm considering these tires too. Accelera Badak X-Treme in 37/11.50-17.

So any beadlock owners out there that wish they went wider or narrower?

I hadn't seen any 17x 8" wide beadlock wheels for sale anywhere.
In fact 17x8 steel wheel are very rare.
If you have a source post up a link.
I run the Battleborn steel Beadlocks in a 17x9" with a 3.5" back space. Works great on my 80 series Lx450.

Wow, yeah, those are Nice. $395 per though.
The 17x9" will set your tire out 1" more than the 17x8"
Also some beadlocks add .5" than size advertised.
What rig is it going on.
1657098374561.png

I would run the narrower rim, especially if you are going to the 11" tire. I would frankly buy alloys if i was bothering with BLs
8s aren't too narrow for 12.50s
Tons of people ran 14.50s on 8s
Im currently running 13.50s on 7.5s ;)

Yeah, I never spent so much on my truck as the suspension on this one. I still can't believe my wife let me get away with it. OTHER THAN THAT ha ha, my build is low budget. Cannibalizing my 88, selling and trading parts, side jobs machining and welding (mostly Jeeps) and I just fixed up and sold that 1990 2wd. Cash only, no credit card debt.

What are WE wheels?

Not wheel spacers. The thin ones they want you to use if you have a thick tire bead. To keep from coning or twisting the rings when you tighten all the bolts. Sorry I didn't clarify.

@ White Stripe, I have read opinions and reviews on them for a few years. I just decided to go with the beadlocks.

I just ordered 5 wheels and went ahead and got the spacers just in case. They have 15% off summer sale right now. Pretty big savings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom