Be honest, do you like the FJ Cruiser....... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why is it that folks can't help but post this crap to this kind of thread.

The question was do you like yours. You don't own one.

The last vehicle to record 1,000,000 miles in the US was a V8 Chevy pick up. Thousands of Chevy and Ford V8s turn 500,000 miles. Not silly little 5/8 of a mile KMs. Thousands of Hondas V6, Toyota 3.0 and 3.4 and even GM 3.8s turn well over 200,000 every year. I've never gotten close to that out of a 2F.

Damn strange I've haven't seen any domestic vehicles with 500 000kms with a factory engine let alone 500 000miles!
200 000km's is nothing... An inline engines life begins again at 250 000km!

I'm just still bitter we can't get real Land Cruisers here

I don't mean to piss anyone off or hijack the tread

Sorry guys

Last edited:
Eric, as you can see on the FJ forum, 90% or more of us love the FJ more or less for what it is. The factory v 6 is a good engine for what the FJ does. For those who want more, you can covert yourself to diesel, have one of the vendors do it, or buy one of those cool off the shelf updated FJ40 style rigs from down in So Cal that have diesel or high HP gas. You have the power to get whatever you want :)

I will never own any V engine!

An inline engine is typically more balanced than a vee engine. You can balance the throws of the crankshaft more evenly.

A vee engine is really a compromise for packaging - you get more cylinders in a smaller package. Crankshafts get stressed more in V engines from taking slightly unbalance forces from both directions!

ever seen a V6 or V8 with 500 000km's on the clock on the factory engine and heads? Because I've seen tons of inline's with more than that still running strong, that includes AMC inline 6 engines in jeeps, 4 cylinder honda's and toyotas!

Let me know if you know of any!

Put that much cast iron into any engine and it is going to run a long time, but you compromise weight.

Even Jeep stopped production of its inline to increase fuel economy and reduce weight.

it really goes back to the old saying, they don't build stuff like they used to!

and honestly fuel efficienciency is a joke when it comes to most newer combustion engines... there were cars made by honda in the mid 90's that got over 50MPG... Technology has been held back for so long on cars... we're still using technology from the 80's or even earlier depending on how you look at it...

this thread is getting chatty, let's get back to the OP's topic

Conspiracy theory much? Not really on topic of if we would buy our FJC again...
it really goes back to the old saying, they don't build stuff like they used to!

and honestly fuel efficienciency is a joke when it comes to most newer combustion engines... there were cars made by honda in the mid 90's that got over 50MPG... Technology has been held back for so long on cars... we're still using technology from the 80's or even earlier depending on how you look at it...

I've had mine almost 3 years and I cant really say wether I like it or not. It was an impulse buy.
Not unhappy with it. It is my first ever brand new vehicle so that kinda makes it nice.

Now that its my only vehicle I'm hoping it will grow on me some.

20 months, 23,000 miles.

I've had lots of cars (32 so far) and LOVE the FJ. It's not perfect, e.g. mpg kind of sucks, the bumpers are oddly wimpy, the visibility does kind of suck, the seat material sucks - it is NOT as wipeable as we'd hoped... and they get these little lint balls... anyway...

But overall, it's a damn cool truck. Great style, great performance and it's a Toyota - that's what did it for me. I was just sick of repairing Jeeps (I've had 8) and figured I couldn't single-handedly fund Chrysler's quality improvement mission.

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I LOVE my truck... I still get up to look at it in the driveway, and it's more than two years old.

Took it through the RUBICON last year (with Woody's assistance) - WOW, is that a AWESOME truck! NEVER give it up!

To be honest - No.

I fought tooth and nail all the haters who had never driven one or would ever consider a vehicle built in the last 10 years. It's the best we could have reasonably expected Toyota to build. We asked for a lot of stuff they knew didn't sell all that well and they gave us most of it.

The wife really liked it and we bought one.

After two years I don't like very much of it at all. It's a cave. It only has two windows that open. Making them 48 inches long doesn't make it better. It buffets like crazy unless you open both windows. The sills are too high. The windshield is too far away. The overhang makes it so you can't see the traffic lights unless you're 200 yards back from the stop line. We've cracked the w/s three times already. The doors are so huge you can't park in a normal parking spot without holding the door half closed. Then you have to do this stupid dance to try to hold that door while opening the useless half doors that swing all the way open by themselves. Then you're trapped.

My wife bought it for the dogs. The plastic back and big back door would be good for our big dogs. They hate it. No air, no windows and no traction. They LOVE my CM Tundra.

The windshield seems always filthy. We go through a gallon of wiper fluid a week. The oil filter location is retarded. The rear window size and lack of vent is way past retarded. Want to talk about the rear lights or the plastic bumperette things?

And mine doesn't have any inner fender cracking issues.

It does off road well and it does have all those things we asked for; short wheel base, short overhangs, great off road manners, old school styling (albeit "influenced" rather than real good looks)

All that being said the wife really does like it and she spends 12-15 hours a week in it. We've got almost 50,000 miles on it and it's never been to the dealer. (The Tundra needs to go in for the 4th time in 19,000 miles for its 3rd bumper.) The drive train is excellent. It gets pretty OK mileage for a brick.

If I had to do it again I'd get that all that in a 4Runner.

As for a great out of the box wheeler - I've owned and wheeled the wee out of an 80 series. The FJC is no 80 series.

I hated mine after a while too. I almost got hit many times because its so difficult to see when backing up. The mirrors are big, but there is a HUGE blind spot. The traction issue, i dont know. I thought mine had EXCELLENT traction, in all scenerios, and i definately put it through the rigors. No,. its no 80 series, but out of the box, its definately as capable, but not nearly as durable. Nowhere close as durable.

I do all my own oil changes (and all my own maintenance for that matter) and thought the oil filter placement was genius - I have no idea what your complaint here is. I didn't have to get on my back, and yes, I did have to use a cup to drain the excess oil that got left behind in the filter base housing, but i didn't have to reach back into the bowels of the engine or burn myself.

Mine was starting to have cracking issues - the small bulge that develops before the crack - and i sold the bastard. Now I drive my BMW and love that thing as a DD. I have the 80 as a rig.

I have a 2007. So far I have not had any bulges, cracking or other issues. I take it off road almost every weekend. So far it has not failed me and has been a solid wheeler.

Having said that though, I seriously do not know if I would buy it again. I tend to do more difficult trails and I have reached my limits with my FJ Cruiser. I am to the point now where I either need to spend around $18,000 converting it to a SAS or get an FJ40 or FJ80 (solid axle) for more intense off road driving (for around $6000 to $8000). When I look at it that way, the price to upgrade the suspension and components on the FJ Cruiser just do not add up.

I love my FJ Cruiser and it is definitely a Toyota. Engine runs great, transmission is a almost perfect and performs like a dream. But seriously, do not expect it to wheel like an FJ40 or FJ80 when in rocks and difficult trails. At least not without sinking a lot of $$$ into it.

I had an '08 Trail Team with the manual transmission I bought new last April. I sold it a few weeks ago and bought an 80series.

I enjoyed the FJ and put alot into it with ICON lift,wheels,tires,on board air,Spidertrax spacers,URD shifter and more ****. It was very capable and I followed built Jeeps all over the place.

In hindsight I should have bought a used one. The fear of damaging or breaking a new vehicle was always on my mind; plus the difference between new and used covers alot of mods. I didnt take too bad a hit when I sold it though-but I got lucky with a buyer.

I never had issue with the blind spot but the small cargo area and the back seat got annoying.

Now that I have the 80 Im over the FJ. It has more room, is paid for and a solid front axle. There is a reason the FJ needs the rear locker and A-TRAC-it always carries a front tire.

Don't mean to hijack, but if you live in Alabama, my best friend is the that bought the FJ from you.

Have to admit, one of the nicest FJs have seen/been in/driven/etc.

back to the topic

To be fair to the FJC - as much as I don't like a lot of things about it -

my Tundra that I love everything about (almost) has been to the dealer 8 times now for manufacturing defects. It's there now getting the third rear bumper in 2 years. The FJC has twice the mileage and has never seen the inside of a shop for anything other than upgrades and maintenance.

Gumby is that the new design Tundra or old?

I think the difference is that FJC is made in Japan and the Tundra in Tennessee

Gumby is that the new design Tundra or old?

I think the difference is that FJC is made in Japan and the Tundra in Tennessee

07. Made in Texas or Indiana.

I think the problems are less with where it's assembled as it is with domestic parts content. The Tundra is 75% domestic sourced parts.

To be honest...yes....but then again it is technically the :princess: DD. She got it for xmas this year and lets be real here...it was the replacement for her Land Turd Disco 2...so as the fool who turns the wrenches around the house, of course I am loving it. Two biggest cons we have are the rearward lack of vision and no window openings available in the back for the boy to stick his head out and frighten people.

Yup! We'd buy another one. Looks different the standard SUV, maybe thats why some folks don't like the truck. It answers all of our needs for our adventures in Montana. T&E

I think they are a neat truck but I would not own one. I don't like how far the roof line is, the few times I have driven one it is like you are driving with the sunshades down permanently. I don't like the large pillars in the rear. I do like the power, and the small footprint though.

IF it had a removable top and IF it has a SA. I could probably look past that, Personally though i would rather keep driving old beaters and not feeling bad about beating on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom