Battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Her gang!

I’m hoping to get some great minds together and give some advice on batteries.
I have been pricing a second battery that I’ll be using to run a fridge and some roof lights to be used when camping. On the other hand, I would rather change the start up battery into a much larger and stronger vs adding a second one and build a potable power station that I can use for the fridge, iPads charging etc. what’s your recommendation of a larger and stronger battery I can use vs a second battery?
Thank you in advance!

A bunch of people switch to a larger “group 31” main start battery to do what you describe. If you do some searching here on that term you should find a lot of previous discussion.

Also, I know tacos needs a volt booster for AGM batteries, does the 200 series needs a booster as well in order to be able to keep a constant 14.6v charger?

Also, I know tacos needs a volt booster for AGM batteries, does the 200 series needs a booster as well in order to be able to keep a constant 14.6v charger?

Do yourself a favor and skip AGMs. It's the wrong battery type for the electrical system on the basis of charge profile (hence the booster hack). AGMs also don't like underhood heat and it will overheat in extended low speed off-roading. Combine the booster with hot temps and it'll lead to pre-mature failure well ahead of their promised longevity. A normal lead acid has a better chance to last longer.

Large group 31 as the starter battery is a good foundation to build from no matter your other choices.

A portable LifePO4 is a great solution for overlanding needs. Add a power port at the rear to support charging. A built in house battery at the rear is also a great solution if you have built in loads to support.

I’d skip the group 31 and stick with just the LiFePO pack.

Agree with the LiFePO4 pack.

This depends how individuals use their car, but I do find utility in a larger group 31 for the cars primary electronics for some use cases.

I find when camping stationary for 2-3 days, opening doors, running minor lighting like on the hatch lights, and other misc, the added reserve helps. Even as my house battery is handling the fridge and charging USB devices.

It's also helpful for a non-daily driver or secondary car that sits in the garage for long durations.

The added reserve is good for long term battery durability as lead acid batts are happiest at full charge. For equivalent draws, it stays at relatively higher SOCs

Do yourself a favor and skip AGMs. It's the wrong battery type for the electrical system on the basis of charge profile (hence the booster hack). AGMs also don't like underhood heat and it will overheat in extended low speed off-roading. Combine the booster with hot temps and it'll lead to pre-mature failure well ahead of their promised longevity. A normal lead acid has a better chance to last longer.

Large group 31 as the starter battery is a good foundation to build from no matter your other choices.

A portable LifePO4 is a great solution for overlanding needs. Add a power port at the rear to support charging. A built in house battery at the rear is also a great solution if you have built in loads to support.

I recently replaced my AGM in my 100 series LX470. It lasted for 8 trouble free years.

I did put it on a charger a couple times of year to top it off though. It was a Batteries Plus X2. They are great batteries.

I'm also gonna disagree with the "avoid AGM" argument. I'm on year 6 with my duals.

I recently replaced my AGM in my 100 series LX470. It lasted for 8 trouble free years.

I did put it on a charger a couple times of year to top it off though. It was a Batteries Plus X2. They are great batteries.

It'd be interesting to know how you're using your lx470. Does it go crawling off-road? The problem is boiling electrolytes out so if they're not exposed to hot charge against high temps, they'll fair better.

I'm also gonna disagree with the "avoid AGM" argument. I'm on year 6 with my duals.

Different ways to skin a cat. Maybe you've found a way with some ingredient that makes it work but I couldn't find it.

I wasn't able to get AGMs to work for my use resulting in them failing prematurely. I've killed 3x high end Odyssey AGMs. Working with the manufacture to try to figure it out. Their 3rd good faith replacement required me to buy their specific charger. Sure, I did that for awhile. Plugging in a charger for system that should self charge gets old. Unless it's an EV where I don't have to visit a gas station. :) It still died prematurely as the car I had it in had the battery in a hot spot near the firewall.

It'd be interesting to know how you're using your lx470. Does it go crawling off-road? The problem is boiling electrolytes out so if they're not exposed to hot charge against high temps, they'll fair better.
It's in the engine bay, doesn't matter what you are doing with the vehicle, crawling, cruising, etc... the battery is exposed to the same temperatures.

I had issues with the sears die hard agms years ago but I think that was due to manufacturing moving to a cheaper alternative location and using lower grade lead.

Any way, batteries plus X2 AGMs are damn good. I currently run 3; 1 in my in my 100 and 2 in my 80. The two in my 80 are 5 & 7 years old. They've never left me stranded.

It's in the engine bay, doesn't matter what you are doing with the vehicle, crawling, cruising, etc... the battery is exposed to the same temperatures.

I had issues with the sears die hard agms years ago but I think that was due to manufacturing moving to a cheaper alternative location and using lower grade lead.

Any way, batteries plus X2 AGMs are damn good. I currently run 3; 1 in my in my 100 and 2 in my 80. The two in my 80 are 5 & 7 years old. They've never left me stranded.

Well, no. Referencing data from an OBD dashboard monitoring intake temps which takes air at the fenders, close where the batteries are, this is clearly not the case. Using the car on-road in normal driving has temps tracking within 5-15 degrees of ambient. Batts can be happy at that temp. Crawling off-road gets things very heated with temps upwards of 170°F+ and this is drawing from outside the engine bay. Same reason gas boils as things get heat soaked in those use cases. If you don't off-road with your LX470, then the batts are living a pampered life.

The 80-series hails from an era where alternators did not compensate. Making it more likely to charge AGMs so they're not living an undercharged life and sulfating.

Well, no. Referencing data from an OBD dashboard monitoring intake temps which takes air at the fenders, close where the batteries are, this is clearly not the case. Using the car on-road in normal driving has temps tracking within 5-15 degrees of ambient. Batts can be happy at that temp. Crawling off-road gets things very heated with temps upwards of 170°F+ and this is drawing from outside the engine bay. Same reason gas boils as things get heat soaked in those use cases. If you don't off-road with your LX470, then the batts are living a pampered life.

The 80-series hails from an era where alternators did not compensate. Making it more likely to charge AGMs so they're not living an undercharged life and sulfating.
I can assure you that engine temps are much higher than intake air temps.

Intake air temp is not engine bay temp.

X2 AGMs work for me and will work for the OP wanting a deeper capacity battery.

Put what you like in your ride.

Not that it'd help you on the trail, but the X2 comes with a 4 yr replacment (NOT pro-rated) warranty IRRC.

I can assure you that engine temps are much higher than intake air temps.

Intake air temp is not engine bay temp.

In this we agree.

As this is a tech forum, for others, here's some backing information.

AGM are a type of sealed Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) battery. They are more sensitive to high heat. Above a certain temperature, exacerbated by charge current, electrolytes can vent and never be recovered. The operating temperature range is commonly -40ºF (-40ºC) to 140ºF (60ºC).

To be fair, every battery type is susceptible to wear from increased temps. Some more than others.

I wish I could put another Japanese made Panasonic in mine when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom