Battery light blinking on and off, grades and brakes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I’m wondering if anyone has had this issue and knows what it could be. I replaced my alternator about six months ago and now all of a sudden last night the battery light has been coming on and off when I drive particularly on grades in the mountains and braking. I can’t get it to stay on long enough to test the battery but when I test the battery after I stop, it has full power and the alternator is fully charging. It shows over 14 V on and over 12 V went off. I checked the terminals. Everything is good and tight. Now I’m going to make sure all the connections to the alternator are tight if that doesn’t solve the issue I’m thinking it could be the alternator wire. Does that sound plausible? Has anyone else at this problem? 05 LX 470.

Mine was the alternator, my 2nd guess would be a ground?? Let us know if you find anything.
Doesn’t look like I can even get to the Alternator wire to check it without basically going through most of the steps required to change the Alternator……

The light blinks on and off. When my Alternator went, the light came on and voltage dropped. I was just able to check voltage at the battery with the truck started and it was still above 14 even with the battery light on which showed that it was getting voltage from the alternator. I really don’t wanna have to go out there and pull everything off just to be able to get to the alternator and check the wire, but I may have to do it. It looks like.

If you'd rather avoid taking things apart at first, you could start with a voltmeter in the cabin that you can check when the light comes on when driving. They have cheap ones that plug in the cig lighter receptacle. Or just rig something with a cig lighter plug. At least that might show if the voltage is actually low when the battery light is on. Cheap and no work first step.

The voltage started to drop so now I’m certain it’s the Alternator. Installed this one April 8th..less than 5 months old. Again, couldn’t source a Denso but I got one with a lifetime warranty…So tomorrow it’s another Pain in the buttt install..:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom