Battery Light LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I have been trying to rid the LX of a voltage issue over the last couple of weeks. I have a dual battery set-up (going on 3 years) that has a disconnect and I have kept that disconnected throughout this process. I have a volt meter to read both batteries mounted on the dash so I can see what is happening under the hod at all times and that is what alerted me of an issue. Up until recently, the voltage has read in the 12's at idle and 14.1 when the alternator was charging the system. I had read that was normal, this has been the case since I installed the gauge on the dash.

Now to the issue, I noticed that the voltage at the Main battery started jumping up and then back down and was fluctuating quite a bit. It would reach high 15's and would drop to 11.8 at the lowest while driving. It then went from bad to worse, it got all the way to 18.7 (seems too high haha). I had seen a few potential resolutions for this, so I started going one by one.

First, I bought a new battery, it was getting old, so I put a new 24F DieHard Platinum AGM in there. Still fluctuated

Second, I read that corrosion at the terminal and in the fusible link box attached to the positive terminal can cause mayhem, so I replaced the positive terminal and the fusible link box and fuses. Still fluctuated

Third, Replaced the alternator with a reman from Toyota. When I pulled it out, I noticed that the connector was broken (as they do) so I ordered a new one and installed it when I put the alternator in. I also made sure I was getting a good connection at the negative battery terminal, cleaned that all up.

That brings me to today, the fluctuation has stopped after step 3. It now holds at 14.1-14.2 at all times, idle or driving. So that is different from before. That said, I have seen in posts that running 14 constantly is also normal. So, ok, I'm ok with that.

The issue is, the battery light is still on!!! But why? The ground right there at the fender looks fine, there is the main ground that disappears into the wire harness, but where does that go? Is that what goes to the alternator? I have read that grounds can be the root of a light.

Any thoughts on what else may cause the light to stay on?

Thank you all in advance for any insight!

You need an Ohm meter to check the resistance between battery post, terminals, chassis. Even if no visible corrosion, it could still be bad.

Check the terminals on the connector at the alternator you replaced. Check resistance of "S" (battery sensor) terminal to positive post. It goes through that 7.5A fuse at the battery. It reads battery voltage and tells the alternator what to do. I think you can just measure voltage of "IG" to see if it is close to battery voltage with the ignition key on.

You need an Ohm meter to check the resistance between battery post, terminals, chassis. Even if no visible corrosion, it could still be bad.

Check the terminals on the connector at the alternator you replaced. Check resistance of "S" (battery sensor) terminal to positive post. It goes through that 7.5A fuse at the battery. It reads battery voltage and tells the alternator what to do. I think you can just measure voltage of "IG" to see if it is close to battery voltage with the ignition key on.
Thank you, I will dig into it on Saturday to see what I get out of that. Much appreciated!

Sorry, I sped read your post earlier. The other terminal "L" on the alternator is what signals the battery light. Measure the voltage at 2k engine RPM. Should be about 13-14V. If so, check the the wiring from that terminal to where ever it goes. If it is under 13-14v, then alternator could be the problem (though I know you replaced it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom