Battery going dead (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dianna

SILVER Star
Threads
My new battery goes completely dead after about 3 or 4 days. i just bought my cruiser this April and it has a winch and some k.c.'s. Is there anyway to check and see what is killing my battery?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here....

Take off the positive terminal of the battery, hook a multimeter between the cable and the terminal and start unhooking fuses to see which one drops the draw.

Remember there will always be a little bit if you have say a CD player/clock, etc

Take your test light and put it between your negative battery terminal and your disconnected negative cable end. If it lights, you have a parasitic draw. Pull fuses until it goes off. Trace the circuits on that fues until you find it. Make sure your underhood light and dome light is off if you have a newer Cruiser before you start. Nothing like doing the whole fuse box only to discover the hood light is shining right in your face. :D

If you find no fuses are causing the draw, you'll have to check the fused link cicuits. Unplug the alternator and the regulator, those can get stuck on too.

The funnest time I've ever had finding an intermittant parasitic draw was driving around with a porter in the trunk looking for a bad trunk light switch. :D

Does the ammeter on your dash gauge look as though the alternater is charging? I had a fuse that had bad contact and when I started up, the alternater charge was not connecting through the fuse. I discovered this because my battery was running down. My cruiser is a '78. When I fixed the fuse contact problem my system worked fine. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom