Battery dies in 3 days? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rogermgreen.com
2003 LC - Red Top Optima 4 years old - If I do not start and run the LC in 3 days the battery goes dead and I must charge the battery. My mechanic indicates there is NO battery drain and just advises running the LC within this time line. Any idea as to why and a fix?

Parasitic draw from something on the vehicle. Can be hard to track down.

If your mechanic has 'positively' concluded that is not the issue, then I would have the battery 'load tested'.

IF it has a sulfated plate....the others will drain off into it, as batteries always seek electrical equilibrium.

AGM batteries are notoriously sensitive to overcharging and also are hard to recharge after being fully discharged.

Many Thanks
Parasitic draw from something on the vehicle. Can be hard to track down.

If your mechanic has 'positively' concluded that is not the issue, then I would have the battery 'load tested'.

IF it has a sulfated plate....the others will drain off into it, as batteries always seek electrical equilibrium.

AGM batteries are notoriously sensitive to overcharging and also are hard to recharge after being fully discharged.

I have the same issue on my '05 LC and it has been very frustrating to figure out where the drain is. My mechanic suggested unplugging the CD changer as he had heard that was a common culprit but that didn't seen to help. It's really an issue because this isn't a daily driver and it often goes several days without being drivin. I just keep a trickle charger in the truck and plug it in when I know I won't be using it for a few days. I also just disconnect the battery if not handy to plug in the charger.

I have the same issue on my '05 LC and it has been very frustrating to figure out where the drain is. My mechanic suggested unplugging the CD changer as he had heard that was a common culprit but that didn't seen to help. It's really an issue because this isn't a daily driver and it often goes several days without being drivin. I just keep a trickle charger in the truck and plug it in when I know I won't be using it for a few days. I also just disconnect the battery if not handy to plug in the charger.

So in your case it is definitely parasitic draw (if disconnecting the battery works).

IF your battery lost voltage while sitting disconnected....then it would be an issue too.

So in your case it is definitely parasitic draw (if disconnecting the battery works).

IF your battery lost voltage while sitting disconnected....then it would be an issue too.
Correct. Disconnect battery and no issues starting once I reconnect it. I actually discovered that my driver side window switch continues to remain active long after I turn off the truck. I replaced that switch console years ago because the factory one wore out. It's very strange - only the driver side window and switch stay on. Also, the Auto function doesn't work only on the driver's side. I'm suspecting that switch console maybe part of or a symptom of my parasitic draw issue.

OP, I would not necessarily think that your mechanic is wrong by saying that there is no drain. After all, that is easy to check with a decent DC clamp ammeter. So, it could be true. (Sort of, there is obviously a need for some power to keep things alive in the truck, but that could be very little.) However, if his best recommended solution to his customer is to run the truck within 3 days, that would make me wonder about him.... So, one fix to your problem, if you can't do it yourself, may be to get another mechanic to start with?

When my kids were small they would leave all kinds of stuff draining the battery on the 00 LX. I installed dual yellow tops and haven't looked back. Second battery is isolated and has full charge for starts. Occasionally have to clean the leads and use dielectric grease, but I believe that many of my strange issues and gremlins before installing them were low battery related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom