Bass Camp May 21 - 22 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome.

So do we want to decide what time and where to meet on (I'm assuming) Saturday morning?

We could make it somewhere in Fernley so that those coming from Carson or other areas wouldn't have to drive to Reno first. Then we can roll towards Fallon and take the Scheckler Rd cutoff, down 95 to Hawthorne and go from there.

Jack

This is the general area I came up with apart of reading a number of articles about Bass Camp. One of the photos I found taken at Bass Camp appeared like it might have been taken, possibly, from the north side of the Excelsior range looking out over Marietta, the valley with Boundary Peak in the far distance.

Just a guess though.

The trail leading to Thunder Mountain looks like it might be interesting...

We (Jack, Darcie, my nephew Mike and I) explored a couple trails and mine sites on the south side of this range just north of Marietta a couple years ago. We camped high atop a fin over on the SE side of this range near Silver Dyke Canyon...
Explore for Bass Camp.001.jpg

This s the Google Earth view. The camp is at the end of the line going S.E. that dead ends.

Attachments

• Bass Camp Trip.kmz
    401 KB · Views: 209
This s the Google Earth view. The camp is at the end of the line going S.E. that dead ends.

That helps a ton! Thanks for posting it up!

Finally the secret has been revealed. Thanks, that helps a bunch.

Jack

I was looking at some topos last night. It looks like the fastest access to Bass camp is from Marietta. There is a road out of Marietta that snakes around north of the Defender mine then loops back along the ridge toward Silver Moon mine and Bass Camp. The same road could also be accessed from Sweet Water Ranch road off of 359 but with more miles of dirt road.

Awesome.

So do we want to decide what time and where to meet on (I'm assuming) Saturday morning?

We could make it somewhere in Fernley so that those coming from Carson or other areas wouldn't have to drive to Reno first. Then we can roll towards Fallon and take the Scheckler Rd cutoff, down 95 to Hawthorne and go from there.

Jack
We'll be in the 60 so we might meet you guys closer to wherever the jump off to dirt winds up being. I hate to slow the whole group down to a crawl. :grinpimp:

We'll be in the 60 so we might meet you guys closer to wherever the jump off to dirt winds up being. I hate to slow the whole group down to a crawl. :grinpimp:

No problem, it looks like the jumping off point would be just south of Mina. Do we want to decide on a time to get there? It takes roughly 3 hrs from Reno to Mina driving at normal speeds, so if we met at 8am in Fernley, that would put us in Mina between 10-10:30. Sound about right? So where does everyone want to meet in Fernley for those that do what to caravan down? We could maybe meet in the Wal-Mart Parking lot (second offramp going eastbound) just off the offramp on the left.

If we did the meeting at between 10-10:30 in Mina (I think the rest stop in Mina might be the easiest for everyone that doesn't want to caravan down), that should work.

Jack

So how long is that at 60 speeds? about 4 hours?:lol:

Just a suggestion but what about the park on the north end of Hawthorn as a meet place? That works either way we go in. Or we could leave it open until the route is decided.

So how long is that at 60 speeds? about 4 hours?:lol:

Just a suggestion but what about the park on the north end of Hawthorn as a meet place? That works either way we go in. Or we could leave it open until the route is decided.

Are you talking about the little "rest area/park" right across from the McDonalds in Hawthorn? If so, that works also. I'm good with whatever. Still want to make the meeting time in Hawthorne between 10-10:30?

Jack

Are you talking about the little "rest area/park" right across from the McDonalds in Hawthorn? If so, that works also. I'm good with whatever. Still want to make the meeting time in Hawthorne between 10-10:30?

Jack
I think we need to establish which route we plan to take and guesstimate how long we need to get lost a few times before we get there.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom