Banks iDash mount on GX 460 (grab handle mounted) - any 3D printed options out there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning on installing 2 gauges (Data Monster & Super Gauge) on my 23 GX. Anyone using the same gauge? I use this setup for my Ram 3500, and love it. I want banks specifically because I want to have their pedal monster installed as well.

Only problem is where to mount it permenantly and elegantly. On etsy there are several idash / superdash pod mounts for different vehicles such 4runners, but nothing for the GX. If you have a similar setup, please point me in the right direction. If you have 3D printed your own, I'd be happy to buy a set from you.

Thanks.

I understand wanting the pedal monster, but can you use a OBDII dongle and a phone app?
I use an old Android Galaxy Note 10 that's dedicated with OBDLink app connected to a OBDLink MX+ dongle. It covers all the GX's systems in real time. Other than it takes a minute or two for the dongles Bluetooth to connect to the phone sometimes, so far I really like.

I understand wanting the pedal monster, but can you use a OBDII dongle and a phone app?
I use an old Android Galaxy Note 10 that's dedicated with OBDLink app connected to a OBDLink MX+ dongle. It covers all the GX's systems in real time. Other than it takes a minute or two for the dongles Bluetooth to connect to the phone sometimes, so far I really like.
If the 3D printed pod mount option doesn't work out, that is definitely an option as I have an unused android backup phone which I can mount as a dedicated gauge & other duties. Great idea! Still not giving up though :p

Reactions: r2m
If the 3D printed pod mount option doesn't work out, that is definitely an option as I have an unused android backup phone which I can mount as a dedicated gauge & other duties. Great idea! Still not giving up though :p
I still have the OBDLink app on my active phone because the old Galaxy Note 10 is not easily removed from the dash if I need to futz with any settings. It's Velcro'ed to the a hinge plate.
But it is really nice just having a dedicated "old" phone connected, both Bluetooth and hard wired charging and mounted. Advantages: don't have to share screens with Google Maps (or whatever mapping app you use), share screens with your favorite music app, or anything else you like to keep on display while driving. If you just want to keep your active phone in your pocket for short drives or whatever, you still have all your info displayed in front of you.

The only caveat is leaving your phone in your car all the time. The average no-gooder will see a phone and probably not realize it's a 8 year old phone and I don't need my window broken for an old phone. If I have any concerns about about where and how long I'll be parked someplace, I will remove the old phone and stick it in the center console.

I hope a 3D printing ninja w/ a GX joins this thread and look into this for us. I love the iDash / SuperGauge. Would be awesome to mount this onto the grab handles of the GX. Here's an example of what I'm looking for (this is for Jeeps)

Reactions: r2m
GXs have airbags in the A pillar, right? I don't think Jeeps do.

I hope a 3D printing ninja w/ a GX joins this thread and look into this for us. I love the iDash / SuperGauge. Would be awesome to mount this onto the grab handles of the GX. Here's an example of what I'm looking for (this is for Jeeps)
That is very cool, but wonder how they wire it?

That is very cool, but wonder how they wire it?
I'm guessing they run down the A pillar under the plastic on the Wrangler.

I'm pretty sure there is an airbag back there on the GX though. I remember there being one on my 470 when I took that piece off to access the dash. I would not personally run wires around the airbag or mount something to that grab handle that could become a projectile in the event of a side impact or rollover.

Yes you are correct. There is an airbag in there. But it's perfectly fine. Banks sells these pod mounts on limited variations of the vehicles (mostly diesel). My Ram 3500 has it as well. But the way the wires are routed in there, it doesn't interfere at all. And I am personally ok with it. But I do understand your concern.

Here are some videos regarding why I want this (I think it's the best system).

Also, here vid on the installation. There i a sucktion mount for this, but I am really trying to avoid this, and have a clear install

Here is a link to the page for installaton (there is a video tutorial in there). You can see it's not a an issue at all, and companies like Bank would not do anything that would actually interfere with the air bag system. I trust them.

Aside from having the ability to see all important data (you can configure the screens in different grids and sizes), my FAVORITE feature is being able to see the check engine codes if they arise, and if its something you can remedy, you can also immediately clear the codes. Sometmes these codes are false positives, and requires scan tool or even visit to a mechanic to clear them. I hope this thread picks up some steam as people do more research on them and provide their entrepreneural spirit & ninja-class 3d printing abilities to work! This would be an amazing addition & solution for the GX community.

Last edited:
Yes you are correct. There is an airbag in there. But it's perfectly fine. Banks sells these pod mounts on limited variations of the vehicles (mostly diesel). My Ram 3500 has it as well. But the way the wires are routed in there, it doesn't interfere at all. And I am personally ok with it. But I do understand your concern.
I'd be much less hesitant with something that's designed to be used with the airbag like the Banks unit vs something somebody 3d printed. I have a buddy that's an emt/firefighter and he's described some pretty gnarly things that happen because people mount things in front of airbags.

Some folks put a ram mount into one of the grab handle screw locations on the GXs. It makes for a nice phone mount placement. but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I'd be much less hesitant with something that's designed to be used with the airbag like the Banks unit vs something somebody 3d printed. I have a buddy that's an emt/firefighter and he's described some pretty gnarly things that happen because people mount things in front of airbags.

Some folks put a ram mount into one of the grab handle screw locations on the GXs. It makes for a nice phone mount placement. but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I did the A pillar mod mount on my Tacoma.

29278684904_d94ff7fc02_b.jpg

Originally for my phone but don't like any part of my view being blocked, at all. So ended up using it only for emergency use with the Garmin Alpha if I needed to track down the dog if it ran off chasing fur.

I am with r2m with OBDLink MX+ fusion and toyota\lexus pids downloaded and installed. You can monitor absolutely everything with custom dashboards and codes, etc. Black Friday bought an unlocked Moto phone for $100. They don't make small tablets anymore guess everyone is going to phones instead. I use the Gamiviti dash speaker plate mount and am very happy with it.

53390910065_4e86626dd8_b.jpg

Still playing with the arms and mounts as well as the custom dashboards. Have 100% clear unobstructed view in front without taking my eyes off the road. I don't even like to have to look down at the factory display screen.

Had an ultragauge on my Tacoma mounted above the rear view mirror but it was fairly limited in comparison to Fusion.

I pulled the A-pillars from my GX recently for the dash swap. The airbag runs pretty much the whole length, from top to bottom. I agree with others that I'd not want to mess with the deployment, either by making the A-pillar trim harder to remove or by getting whacked with a pod when it does deploy.

Regarding the various sensor and code reading capabilities, it's pretty easy to do that with an Android app like Torque Pro. I run Torque Pro on my PX6 head unit (probably not an option for a newer GX460) and have a good ~14 PIDs I monitor, and can also read/clear codes with it. Running it on a phone, Android tablet, etc, would have the same effects. For a more or less new GX, the only one you really need to monitor is transmission temp, as the 460 is known for running perhaps too hot. For my older one I also like being able to view fuel trims, MAF readings, coolant temp, vacuum etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom