Ball joints (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sometimes when I go over a speed bump I hear something rattle , I believe it's in the front and on the right side by the wheel. My guess and the guess of a friend is that the ball joints are wearing out. I have hitch cargo carrier on the back and I was hoping that was the problem but I will take it off and go over a few speed bumps to see later on. How much should ball joints cost to replace in terms of parts?
I will probably have to get them done soon cause I have a lot of driving to to. It doesn't feel loose and I feel no play in the wheel. But my dad always used to tell me...a car will tell you when it's going to break if you listen to it closely.
Through all the pot holes I ran through in new york yesterday. ..didn't hear it...but going 10 mp9 through the parking lot at work I hear it.

You can replace your lower ball joints for about $50ea with a borrowed press from Autozone and some 2" pipe couplings. Upper control arm ball joints are even cheaper and easier. $25ea on ebay. Search for LX470 ball joint. Use the same giant clamp press thing. There are threads on here about it.

Thank you ... I was hearing numbers of up arpund $1000. A toyota mechanic was saying I would have to do the whole upper control arm to replace the upper one because of how it was made. I drove from DC to Pokeepsie NY and truck was smooth.... So I am thinking that it is the cargo carrier and I am just feeling the vibration travel through the truck

I have a similar issue; rattle from the front passenger side. I've crawled under the truck several times with a rubber mallet tapping on all possible parts in hopes of replicating the sound (including cat shields). No luck. I've removed all skid plates, trailer hitch, double checked all ironman bumper attachment points, and took it to a garage and had them go through front suspension and brakes. Nothing.

I am wondering if my problem is my bilstein 4600 shocks? Ive read the 5100 series have been problematic. Maybe a faulty piston or C clip under the shroud?

My issue is most noticeable over small potholes, pavement "seams" and washboard. Large speed bumps or bigger potholes don't seem to be as troublesome.

I am almost ready to order a set of OME shocks but don't want to throw money at the problem until I know what the problem is.

...via IH8MUD app

Aside from ball joints, any suggestions?

...via IH8MUD app

I have a similar noise and I have bilsteins with like 80k miles on them. New lower pressed in ball joint, new tie rod end and new OEM upper control arm on the drivers side. These items were replaced before the noise. The strange thing is everything seems tight. Crawling under there again this morning and taking off skid plates to look around even more. It feels like a broken motor mount because when I start the truck it happens and when I drive around it happens on smaller bumps. Not larger bumps.

Got rid of one of the sounds, the slider bolts were really loose. Need to buy some thread lock.

I would like to hear more about the bilstein issue.

I have 218k miles and have had a lift on since 100k and have never had an issue like this.

Last edited:
I've googled Bilstein shock rattles and there is a ton of info, many 5100's, across many different forums (Ford, Ram, Jeep, etc.). It seems that reusing OEM hardware helps most folks. I am very happy to spend $200 + on Old Man Emu shocks but my head will explode if that doesn't fix it.

My 4600s only have 30k miles on them.

...via IH8MUD app

I have a rattle over bumps at low speed, but don't suspect the ball joints. The best way I've figured out to determine if the ball joints are bad is to load & unload the suspension over bumps and listen for a shifting or popping noise, not really a rattle. Try going forward and reverse and listen for popping. If your ball joints are actually rattling, I'd expect a cruiser with super high miles and the ball joints about to separate.

If you have access to a lift, put your shoulder under the tire and try to push the tire up, you can feel the free play if the ball joints are bad. More than a few folks have mystery rattles at low speed that probably isn't ball joints. I'd do a little more diagnosis before throwing parts at it. Personally, I'd start with the brakes and go from there.

I have a rattle over bumps at low speed, but don't suspect the ball joints. The best way I've figured out to determine if the ball joints are bad is to load & unload the suspension over bumps and listen for a shifting or popping noise, not really a rattle. Try going forward and reverse and listen for popping. If your ball joints are actually rattling, I'd expect a cruiser with super high miles and the ball joints about to separate.

If you have access to a lift, put your shoulder under the tire and try to push the tire up, you can feel the free play if the ball joints are bad. More than a few folks have mystery rattles at low speed that probably isn't ball joints. I'd do a little more diagnosis before throwing parts at it. Personally, I'd start with the brakes and go from there.

I don't have play at 3 and 9 or 6 and 12. All is good. I had a shop look at the brakes but who knows how hard they looked. Any suggestions on what to look at?

...via IH8MUD app

I have a similar noise and I have bilsteins with like 80k miles on them. New lower pressed in ball joint, new tie rod end and new OEM upper control arm on the drivers side. These items were replaced before the noise. The strange thing is everything seems tight. Crawling under there again this morning and taking off skid plates to look around even more. It feels like a broken motor mount because when I start the truck it happens and when I drive around it happens on smaller bumps. Not larger bumps.

Got rid of one of the sounds, the slider bolts were really loose. Need to buy some thread lock.

I would like to hear more about the bilstein issue.

I have 218k miles and have had a lift on since 100k and have never had an issue like this.

You might want to check the Bilsteins.
here in Oz they cause no end of trouble as they have a two piece shaft design which comes undone.
Have a look under the dust boot. You may see a chromed shaft screwed into the assembly which bolts into the shock tower. That shaft unscrews from the fixing assembly and will clunk around. They all get permanently welded here now, very common problem.

I had "rattle" at low speeds... check the back of the OEM muffler, there's a rubber mounted weight??? enclosed retaining bracket, broke loose.

I will check it out and THANK You.

Me too, and I've ordered old man emu front shocks. Be glad to eliminate the rattle

...via IH8MUD app

Ordered up oem for now.

...via IH8MUD app

I just received my old man emu's in the mail from Kurt. I am really hoping they eliminate my rattle.

...via IH8MUD app

A common cause of a rattle is sway bar D-bushes and sway bar links, very cheap to fix. Hit the sway bar with your hand and see if you hear the noise, if so it will be the D-bushes. Check the links by pulling on the sway bars ends and check for movement in the ball joint part of the link.

Best way to check ball joints (when the lower ball joint is the load carrying one) on these is to jack up from the lower arm as close to the wheel as possible enough to get a lever under the wheel, this keeps the ball joint roughly in is normal driving position. Get some one with a lever to move the tyre up and down and have some one else check the ball joint for movement, major movement can be seen, minor movement you will need to feel for by feeling through the boot onto the joint. Upper ball joints, Non load carrying usually last longer than the load carrying.

Old Man Emu sport nitro shocks helped my rattle but did not completely eliminate it. Back to the drawing board.

...via IH8MUD app

Mine is def a rattle. I appreciate the heads up as to the difference; ball joints will creak not rattle! I didn't know this.

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom