Bad relay after washing my engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, like a dummy, I was washing down my engine at the carwash and realized I didn't disconnect my batteries. I realized this after I heard a pop from the auxiliary outlet. A fuse blew, but it's the aux outlet, so I wasn't worried about it. When starting the truck, I heard a buzzing sound right when the ignition would kick in (start), but she started and I figured it'd dry out and be okay. Well, it hasn't gotten any better and this afternoon took a while before she'd start. I believe it's a starter relay, but wonder if it might be the starter solenoid and would like some confirmation before I go trying to replace it. Here's a video of it. I appreciate the help all, seriously.

I see the problem.
You have a zero for the far left odo digit. Oh and...your voltage gauge reads zero. And your speedo needle shot to 60mph for no good reason.
Not knowing what all you hit with water, pop off the fuse box and diag port lids and let air dry.
In fact, disconnect your battery and let air dry for a a couple days with hood up (if possible tho not completely necessary).

Last edited:
Please advise make, model, year, and engine. That's obviously not a USA truck.

Not knowing what all you hit with water, pop off the fuse box and diag port lids and let air dry.
In fact, disconnect your battery and let air dry for a a couple days with hood up (if possible tho not completely necessary).
I tried that last night and it seemed to work better this morning. I guess I just thought it wouldn't take as long for everything to dry out.

Did you waterproof your engine wiring harness before washing the engine bay? If not your harness connectors need to be unplugged and blown out with compressed air.
That was my bonehead moment. I had everything soaked down before I was like WTF am I doing!? Thanks for the tip, I'll blow them out.

Okay, so she decided to not start at all now. Maybe this would be better for the diesel/24v forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom