Thanks
@bloc. That's very cool how quickly you can tell.
Is the noise you hear (without the chassis ears) while driving high pitched white noise like that or is it a lower pitched drone? (I tried to record mine but my phone mic doesn't seem to pick up the sound, which is weird since I feel like it's in the 80-120Hz range.
Does the pitch vary with speed or just the volume? IIRC you said before it was noticeable over a small range, but I'm wondering if the chassis ears picked it up across a much wider speed range or if it really only appears in that narrow speed band? I hear noise at low speed and it continues up through highway speeds. Pitch doesn't change much but the volume (intensity) does. Mine has been going on for a while though, slowly getting louder.
My mechanic used a stethoscope while it was on the lift and he said the bearings were quiet. I'll see if this persists once the re-gear is done in 2 weeks. If so I will buy or borrow a set of chassis ears to track this down. (Edit: I figure since I'll have to change out the rear fluid after 500 miles if it is a bad rear bearing it won't be any additional labor to wait and test it)